The late Dick Bueschel

Enter the Honourable Judge's favourite tavern for a dram of Tittle Tattle. There's an ancient bandit in the corner, but I forget his name...
andydotp

In praise of the late Dick Bueschel

Post by andydotp »

Writing on the Mills Vendor thread last night, I noted I'd refer to my library as I was sure I
had the answers to the questions about the 'Frankenstein' re-vamp (??) three-reeler.

Of course, I went directly to Mr Bueschel's excellent 'SLOTS' books and there it was - history 'an all.
Reminded me of how knowledgeable Dick was and how grateful we slotties should be for the wealth of knowledge he not only acquired but ensured virtually all went to print for the benefit of future enthusiasts.
andydotp.

Re: In praise of the late Dick Bueschel

Post by Guest »

I really miss Bueschel's writings too. He not only told us about the machines, but went much further by engrossing us into the world at that time. Which answers a lot of questions like, when, why and how!
slot dynasty

The late Dick Bueschel

Post by slot dynasty »

Topic merged - Site admin.

Gentlemen of the UK Forum:
I am introducing myself with my first post, as a tribute to my late, and very dear friend, Dick Bueschel. !SMARTY!
I first met Dick in the late 1960's. We hit it off immediately, as we were not only coin-op buffs, but both very interested in the history of gaming machines. At the time I started, there were not many collectors in this hobby. I became interested in mechanical gambling machines in early 1962. At the time, I only had interest in the early payout machines.
The lavishly ornate Victorian Uprights, and the just-as-ornate cast iron wonders. I restored my first Victorian Upright, a Caille 5c "Eclipse", which I started in Nov. 1962, and finished in Feb. 1963. It is still going strong to this day, in a friends collection. At the time, I was a 'large bug' in the hobby. Now, I am but a 'flea', with the vast amount of collectors that have entered our very interesting hobby. As the years went on, Dick and I became very close friends. We exchanged letters and advertisement literature on a weekly basis. I have a large file of our correspondence, which I treasure to this day, and look back at from time to time, just to refresh my mind of our history chats. When Dick first started his books on coin-op, I was sending him photos by the bundles. We also chatted on the phone for hours on end. Sometimes on a daily basis. There would be times that we would talk so long, that we were hoarse. Bid farewell, hang up, and call right back, because one of us forgot something very important that couldn't wait. !!IDEA!! I can only imagine what it would be like today, corresponding via computer. We would have very sore fingers. The best part of it would be the lightening speed of exchanging photos, and not having to wait for them in the 'snail-mail'. I could go on-and-on, remembering the good times we had, which I will cherish forever. He was a Prince-of-a-Man, and will never be replaced by anyone in this hobby. :cry:
Enough of my rattling-on for now. !!CHEERS!! Bill Whelan (U.S.A.)
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: The late Dick Bueschel

Post by badpenny »

Hi Bill and welcome to our humble forum.

In the absence of any gentlemen I thought I'd answer your post and welcome you. Currently many of our members may be heading to a meet so the club house is deserted at the moment.

Dick Bueschel is one of those names that you only have to start typing into Google and it automatically offers it as a destination.

We'd love to hear more from you ........
Tell us of your experiences
Send us photos (we love photos)
Look at our Resources Page on The Forum (you may have things to add to it)
Draw round the edge of your house key
............... but above all please visit often.

Badpenny
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Hey Bill, great to hear from you! And you're certainly right about Dick Beuschel, a legend in many ways. Part of the reason I became so enamoured with machines was because of the amazingly interesting articles he wrote that drew me into that world. Would be great to hear some of your own stories about those early days of collecting and who else was out there back then. cheers.
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

Hi Bill
It's great to hear from you and good to be reminded about the legacy and huge amount of literature that Dick Bueschel bought to this hobby.
I think I speak for many UK collectors that have his reference works and I have found some of his coin slot guides invaluable for my own restorations!
I was over your side of the pond in November last year after picking up some items I won in ebay.
It was really a Las Vegas trip, but I was fortunate enough to meet a good few COCA members when Fred Abel, the club's president, offered me a ride to a COCA meeting taking place in Oak ridge, California.
I was one lucky chap, as I was afforded the honour of a tour of not one magnicent collection, but two!
I remember three names, Ira Warren, Larry Griffin and Sandy Liffick. Are you familiar with those guys?
There were many others there too, but to be honest, it was pretty hard to take in as so many people to meet and machines to marvel at!
I will never forget the friendliness and hospitality I was afforded that day!!

Nigel
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

G'day Bill,
So glad you found us and a huge "welcome" !THUMBS!
It's not often Badpenny lays out a clean linen tablecloth and brings out the polished spoons & pushers, you're honoured (honored even) but yes, there was an auction on when you posted - but I'm sure you can expect a flurry of interest from here. Please do keep a regular eye out....
Have you scanned to disk much of your historical documentation, pics and the like? And did you manage to become "keeper of Mr Bueschel's archives" by any chance? (being half your discoveries I suppose).
Oh, as BP mentioned - we love piccies.... make us green with envy Bill.
Regards,
andydotp
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Bill. Your name and fame has also spread across the pond to this little island, so it's great to hear from you. Welcome to PennyMachines.co.uk from another British Dick Bueschel fan. I owe most of my knowledge of American machines to his meticulously researched books and magazine articles and it doesn't surprise me to hear what a fine fellow he was; his good natured, generous spirit and enthusiasm really comes over in the text.

I hope you'll stick around and help us solve some of our US slot machine conundrums. :cool: