3D printing machine parts

General vintage slot machine related topics.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: 3D printing machine parts

Post by pennymachines »

So maybe, in the not too distant future, you'll be able to replace those broken Beromat payout slides (etc.) by downloading the CAD file from Resources... !PRAY!!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

provided the technology arrives before the last slide crumbles away :#:
scottie

Post by scottie »

Hi youngergap
Yes, all the parts are true. These 3d printers are adjustable so you can print slower and get better quality.
At first I was just doing parts that were not under any stress (coin chutes, ball levers etc.) but I tried coin slides and hopper and they worked out just fine.
You can use very fine sandpaper if you need to adjust the thickness of a part if it's a bit too thick. There is many types of plastic you can use and colors too ...
Scottie
Attachments
20180319_210446a.jpg
20180319_205750a.jpg
20180319_210539a.jpg
20180319_210044a.jpg
20180319_205148a.jpg
20180319_205208a.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Awesome stuff, if this your own printer......I know nothing about this stuff, but on seeing you can get setup for as low as £200 for a basic model or nearer a grand for a medium one, what endless things one could do. Then I realised there is nothing I need that would cover the cost, so going to a 3D service provider seems the best way for the odd part.

I am still in awe of the quality of this stuff and guess you need to select the right raw filament for the job, like ABS. The thing that seems to be the issue still is how long you have to wait for a quality item to come out, 10 to 12 hours !OMFG!

Also how do you capture the item you want into a 3D form electronically !PUZZLED!

In a few years everyone will have pink parts in their machines ;-)
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I think most of us have been aware of all of the short comings of this resource as it has progressed along.
We've grown up seeing new and wonderful inventions being talked about in glowing terms relating to what they're going to be able to do ..... not quite yet but in a few years time ...... probably.
How many of us rushed out to buy the Betamax? Not me.
Philips Laser disc? I didn't.
Sinclair's three wheeler diy suicide kit? Nope.
Hydrogen filled airships? If I had been 30 years younger, then yup that would have been me!

Mostly we'd all do what the Japanese used to do, wait for somebody to do all of the research and pay for the failures, before stealing the working product.
It looks like we're almost there.
It might be time to gird your loins chaps and step into the arena. If TF is right and a hundred thousand coppers might buy a practical 3D printer then I'm now becoming interested. I appreciate his view that for the few things you might need to replicate at first it's be cheaper to outsource ...... but just think of the fun to be had outside of the hobby. Far from me to mention making door handles out of the image of your body parts. Or in my case making a key ring.

Already Windows 10 comes with Paint 3D, it won't be long before either this application or another that links it should be in a position to do the business.

I bet the model railway lads are dribbling at the thought of their own house sitting on their layout, complete with a scale model railway inside complete with a model of their house which has inside it a ......

BP
scottie

Post by scottie »

Hi Treefrog
No, it's not my machine. What I did was place an ad on a local (buy sell) website and had someone else make the parts.....
Scottie
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I think this is amazing, as BP says the outsourcing always precedes the DIY, I can remember that thing of the past a print and copy shop. Does anyone know if the sort of procedure Scottie used is available in the UK yet? It would mean the days of the missing Beromat slide are numbered. !!YIPPEE!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

coppinpr wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:34 pm Does anyone know if the sort of procedure Scottie used is available in the UK yet?
Yes, 3dPrintDirect is just one of many UK companies who've been offering 3D printing in plastic for several years now.

There are also quite a few 3D metal printing services, like Croft Additive Manufacturing, but I suspect we would still consider them too pricey for most purposes. As I said though, this will surely change rapidly as the lower cost metal printers come on line and competition hots up. Smartphones are already integrating 3D scanners and the software is increasingly user-friendly.
scottie

Post by scottie »

Good morning
It wasn't a company that did my 3d printing, just some guy that had one in his basement for hobby reasons. I'm sure if a company did it, they usually only do 100 or 1000s of parts orders only - not 'one of these and two of those'.
You could put an ad on GUM TREE... OR kijiji
It's a lot easier if you do have one part that you want to have printed this way. The guy can do all the measuring and enter the information into his computer.
If you don't have a part to copy, you will have to figure out all the measurements of it first. I always had the guy do all the measuring first while I waited, because I didn't want to leave any parts with him... just in case if it was misplaced.
I know these are not original or home-made, but at least the games are working for now till I'm able to get a hold of original parts.
Scottie
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

treefrog wrote:Also how do you capture the item you want into a 3D form electronically
There are a few programmes on the market TF that can be utilised to 'build' up a 3D image and also a number of CAD programmes will export their 3D file in a native format that the 3D printer will read. Autodesk have a good programme (free if you are not a business) called Fusion 360, it takes a bit of getting used to as all software, but is a very good programme, I have been looking into this technology for a while now but cannot at the moment justify the money spent on a good 3D printer.

There is another 3D printing technology that can produce high quality items (the current thermo-plastic forms tend to be 'banded' and not completely smooth). The object emerges from a bath of liquid where it is formed via a laser activating the liquid resin material, most home 3D printers of this type utilise blu-ray lasers to activate resin. I think this technology will quickly replace the thermoplastic 3D printers that are currently on the market.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Well, finally got round to creating a coin hopper for a Bryans machine, measured an original mm by mm and produced the computer image to export the file to a 3D printer. The object is ok but it needs to print at a higher resolution for smoother finish, the hopper was not made as a replacement part, just thought I would have a go if a part is needed in the future.

Great for complex objects and an interesting project but I think I would rather find a good metal worker to make a replacement part.
Attachments
coin-tube-1a.jpg
coin-tube-2a.jpg
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

well done mate :)
isn't technology amazing !THUMBS!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Amazing!
Paint it in Hammerite light blue and who'd know? !!IDEA!!
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Everyone now BP. **xXx**
ufo3d3d

Post by ufo3d3d »

Creation of construction and millwork drawings, photoreal 3D renderings for products and projects. Specialities: architectural rendering, product 3d modeling, 3D interior visualization. https://ufo3d.com
arrgee

3D-printing

Post by arrgee »

Topic split from 3D printed slot machine miniatures and merged - Site Admin.
joerg_gm wrote:Yes. I have an Elegoo Mars Pro.
Good machine - I recently printed this on an Elegoo Mars - a Bryans coin chute replica, all the dimension were taken from an original and drawn up in Fusion 360
Attachments
coin shute Bryans.png
joerg_gm

Re: 3D-printed slot machine miniatures

Post by joerg_gm »

Looks great. Which kind of resin did you use for that?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

This is an interesting thread.
We've briefly touched on this subject a few times now without any real substance.

Then suddenly we have acceptable results. Well done those who've dabbled and succeeded.
We have a commonality in brand name and materials used. I'd only heard of filaments and not resin.
Can anyone explain the difference and costs?
Are there tales of success versus failures?
Software options?
Lessons learnt?
Computing resources needed to drive these beasts?
Any buyers' remorse?

Eager to learn
BP **xXx**
joerg_gm

Post by joerg_gm »

SLA-3D-printers are not expensive. The Elegoo Mars Pro is available for around $250.

I needed the printer for a (missing) payout-cup. On an old german machine the payout-cup was missing, but some traces were still there:
Schale_0.jpg

Of course the first step is to create the 3D-model. There are a lot of tools on the market to create such models. I'm using an old version of 3D Max, but there are also free tools like Blender. Here are some pictures of the modeling process:
Schale_2.jpg

Schale_5.jpg

After that you can load the model into the slicing-software of the printer (in my case Chitubox). You have to add some support-structures (can be done automatically):
Schale_7.jpg

Then upload the result via USB-stick to the printer and start printing. After some hours (depends on the height of the model, because the model is created layer by layer) the model is ready for curing in uv light and removing the supports:

print_1.jpg

print_2.jpg

print_5.jpg

Of course, a plastic model does not fit for such a machine, but with the SLA-printed cup you can test the 3D model.
Now you have two choices:
1) You can print the model with a Wax-resin like Power-Cast Burn and create your own Casting mold for brass casting. See this Youtube-video: or
2) use an online-service like i.Materialise.com or shapeways.

I send my 3D-model to i.Materialise.com and this is what they send back:
schale_3.jpg

schale_1.jpg

Now I just have to solder the payout-cup to the base plate.

I think the most important part of the process is to create a clean and flawless 3D model. You have to pay attention to a few things, such as a minimum wall thickness etc ...
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

!WORSHIPFULL! !!THUMBSX2!! **xXx** CoNgRaTs