3D printing machine parts

General vintage slot machine related topics.
arrgee

Re: 3D printing machine parts

Post by arrgee »

Well, finally got round to creating a coin hopper for a Bryans machine, measured an original mm by mm and produced the computer image to export the file to a 3D printer. The object is ok but it needs to print at a higher resolution for smoother finish, the hopper was not made as a replacement part, just thought I would have a go if a part is needed in the future.

Great for complex objects and an interesting project but I think I would rather find a good metal worker to make a replacement part.
Attachments
coin-tube-1a.jpg
coin-tube-2a.jpg
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

well done mate :)
isn't technology amazing !THUMBS!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Amazing!
Paint it in Hammerite light blue and who'd know? !!IDEA!!
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Everyone now BP. **xXx**
ufo3d3d

Post by ufo3d3d »

Creation of construction and millwork drawings, photoreal 3D renderings for products and projects. Specialities: architectural rendering, product 3d modeling, 3D interior visualization. https://ufo3d.com
arrgee

3D-printing

Post by arrgee »

Topic split from 3D printed slot machine miniatures and merged - Site Admin.
joerg_gm wrote:Yes. I have an Elegoo Mars Pro.
Good machine - I recently printed this on an Elegoo Mars - a Bryans coin chute replica, all the dimension were taken from an original and drawn up in Fusion 360
Attachments
coin shute Bryans.png
joerg_gm

Re: 3D-printed slot machine miniatures

Post by joerg_gm »

Looks great. Which kind of resin did you use for that?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

This is an interesting thread.
We've briefly touched on this subject a few times now without any real substance.

Then suddenly we have acceptable results. Well done those who've dabbled and succeeded.
We have a commonality in brand name and materials used. I'd only heard of filaments and not resin.
Can anyone explain the difference and costs?
Are there tales of success versus failures?
Software options?
Lessons learnt?
Computing resources needed to drive these beasts?
Any buyers' remorse?

Eager to learn
BP **xXx**
joerg_gm

Post by joerg_gm »

SLA-3D-printers are not expensive. The Elegoo Mars Pro is available for around $250.

I needed the printer for a (missing) payout-cup. On an old german machine the payout-cup was missing, but some traces were still there:
Schale_0.jpg

Of course the first step is to create the 3D-model. There are a lot of tools on the market to create such models. I'm using an old version of 3D Max, but there are also free tools like Blender. Here are some pictures of the modeling process:
Schale_2.jpg

Schale_5.jpg

After that you can load the model into the slicing-software of the printer (in my case Chitubox). You have to add some support-structures (can be done automatically):
Schale_7.jpg

Then upload the result via USB-stick to the printer and start printing. After some hours (depends on the height of the model, because the model is created layer by layer) the model is ready for curing in uv light and removing the supports:

print_1.jpg

print_2.jpg

print_5.jpg

Of course, a plastic model does not fit for such a machine, but with the SLA-printed cup you can test the 3D model.
Now you have two choices:
1) You can print the model with a Wax-resin like Power-Cast Burn and create your own Casting mold for brass casting. See this Youtube-video: or
2) use an online-service like i.Materialise.com or shapeways.

I send my 3D-model to i.Materialise.com and this is what they send back:
schale_3.jpg

schale_1.jpg

Now I just have to solder the payout-cup to the base plate.

I think the most important part of the process is to create a clean and flawless 3D model. You have to pay attention to a few things, such as a minimum wall thickness etc ...
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

!WORSHIPFULL! !!THUMBSX2!! **xXx** CoNgRaTs
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Thanks joerg_gm, you've been very helpful, that's kind of you.
Naturally you've given a whole bundle of more questions, but at the same time you've given us the leads to search for the answers. Which is always the best way to learn.
One question I'd like to ask though, because you send the file over to companies like joerg_gm does that mean there's no need to print your own version as presumably they will make one in order to produce the mould they'll cast from?
Or do you print one off at home in order to make sure it'll work anyway?

BP !WORSHIPFULL!
joerg_gm

Post by joerg_gm »

If you're using online-services as described above, you don't have to print the wax-model or mould by yourself. You simply upload the 3D-model in a certain file format (depends on the company). They'll do the rest (printing the wax-model, creating the casting-mould, cast in brass (or whatever you need) and polishing the casted object.

Brass-casted objects are very expensive at those online-services, so I test my created 3d-models with my own printer, to be sure it will work. :)

imata.jpg

Here is another example I did some time ago (test-model done with a PLA-printer):
Attachments
muenzschlitz_01a.jpg
muenzschlitz_02a.jpg
muenzschlitz_04a.jpg
muenzschlitz_06a.jpg
muenzschlitz_07a.jpg
muenzschlitz_08a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

As I suspected.
I think the game has suddenly changed up a gear.

A terrific tool for getting out of trouble, especially in the self satisfaction stakes!
I also guess it gives us something else to peer at closely when buying. :lol:

Thanks for your openness joerg_gm

BP !!IDEA!!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Joerg_gm: an excellent explanation of the resin process, I can see that your skill at the 3D modelling stage is very good.
joerg_gm wrote:Looks great. Which kind of resin did you use for that?
I use the water washable photopolymer resin but have also used the alcohol washable resin which is much cheaper to buy.

Badpenny: the alcohol method is not what you may think !! it is used for 'cleaning' the 3D print prior to curing it with UV light.

3D resin printing can be a bit messy and also smelly, but well worth the effort, the finish is great when compared to the filament 3D print process.
joerg_gm

Post by joerg_gm »

arrgee wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:32 pm I use the water washable photopolymer resin
That's also the resin I'm working with. I like the easy handling and cleaning and it doesn't stink quite as badly as the normal one.
Sometimes I have problems with printing objects with flat surfaces. The lower surfaces are sometimes printed a little distorted, but I'm still trying and testing with this new printing method.
Joerg
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

Absolutely fascinating, I often forget we are in 2020 as most of my time is spent restoring 1950s jukeboxes. What a remarkable way to reproduce missing parts. CoNgRaTs
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Yes, some amazing work there. !!THUMBSX2!!
Did you start by 3D scanning/imaging the original, or does the modelling have to be created from scratch in 3D Max?
joerg_gm

Post by joerg_gm »

If the 3D-Model can be created using simple geometric shapes, then rebuilding is much easier than 3D scanning. With 3D scanning, you usually have to invest a lot of time in cleaning and reworking the scanned 3D-mesh. This is only worthwhile with very complex structures.
I build each model in 3D Max with the help of reference pictures and simple geometric objects.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Playing with my 3D printer again and this time thought I would try to create a Wonders replica coin entry, I think the Wonders design for this piece of ironmongery was inspirational. So after scaling a photo and drawing the design then converting it into a 3D file, I printed this. Obviously would not use this on an actual Wonders machine but the 3D file could be used as a basis for casting one in metal
Attachments
coin-entry-1a.jpg
coin-entry-2a.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

So is the next challenge to make a whole Wonders machine part by part :lol:

I would never be able to use the software as technically inept :!?!: