Why so many Jennings Governors....?

General vintage slot machine related topics.
cheeky

Why so many Jennings Governors....?

Post by cheeky »

I remember the 1970s when arcades were awash with one arm bandits. Most were Bally and Aristocrats, some Jubilee, a handful of Sega, and the token Jennings Governor in each arcade. I never saw a Mills bandit.

So my question, if indeed it can be answered....

How come, proportionally speaking, I always see so many Jennings Governors for sale? There must be thousands of Ballys and Aristocrats out there and yes, they do come up for sale from time to time, but Jennings Governors? :!?!:
coppinpr

Re: Why so many Jennings Governors....?

Post by coppinpr »

Could it be that the classic lines and appealing design of the Jennings saved so many from the scrap yard? As, even today (of the basic bandits), it fetches the top prices because of its desirability. :!?!:
In the '70s I worked in London arcades and we had ONLY Mills Hi-tops and no Aristos. I can't imagine why. !PUZZLED!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Also half the Aristocrats and Jubilees you would have seen were made in the 1970s.
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Good point Treefrog, although probably late '60s, as they had big holes in them. The Jennings were so reliable so I don't think reliability or ageism saw them leave the stage early. Interesting to hear about the London gaffs using Mills and Aristocrats though.

As you say Coppinpr, maybe it was just the attractive design of the Jennings that saved them and more of the other bandits were just binned. :!?!:
brigham

Post by brigham »

You might ask "Why so many Morris Minors...?"
The reason is probably the same; they had a strong following even before production ended.
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

What’s a Morris Minor? :lol:
brigham

Post by brigham »

It's a small cigarette:-
"10 minutes to wait- so Mine's a Minor!"
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

cheeky wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:40 am What’s a Morris Minor? :lol:
A tool for transporting vintage slot machines.
Attachments
morris.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Ah! The child of a Morris Grown-up.

BP :D
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

That would be Morris Major....
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

It was reputed that Angus Deayton was a behind the scenes founder of Morris Minor and the Majors
And we all know what happened to him ......
brigham

Post by brigham »

Oh yes.
He tricked his way into employment with the BBC, despite being a sexually-active white hetero male...
Shocking!
tammy

Jennings Governor problems

Post by tammy »

Post moved & merged - Site Admin.

Hi Cheeky, you ask why so many Jennings Governors? The answer is simply the fact that they were in the thousands of clubs, holiday pavilions, and working men's clubs throughout Great Britain. Especially in the ordinary working man's club one always graced you once you entered the door. I remember doing an article when about 1972 just after decimalisation I went to a very large shop where you could take your pick of any Jennings Governor for £25 which included VAT. The range was terrific, even one with black cats on the reels. I, daft as hell, settled on a Jubilee, at the same price, because it had light in it and lit up nice. JUBILEES too were the same price. Upstairs I was shown a very large long room full of vintage penny amusement machines nearly all touching each other. One of the blokes that worked for the firm had bought them all and filled the room. He talked silly prices at first to me but on my second visit he sold me three of them at £16-50p each, i.e. £15 plus £1-50 the newly introduced VAT rate.
I went home proudly with A Many Happy Returns Allwin, a really early halfpenny Oliver Whales allwin with lots of brass and one I was pushed into - a really clanky Win a Cig.
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Wow! Thanks for the update Tammy. Where was this location and can you get me one for £25?

And by the way, the Morris jokes show that there is much humour and merriment in a lockdown situation although I thought alcohol was supposed to be served? !PUZZLED!
tammy

Post by tammy »

Hi Cheeky, yes lots of Jennings Governors at £25 each takes your pick... All you need is a time machine - have you got one? If you have, then quite a number of collectors on this site will be in touch with you now asking you if you would bring them some back... cash on delivery of course!!

Ps. If you have, you could buy all the unwanted allwins etc. Price after decimalisation in 1972, as they were reported to by sold for £4 each for Whales and Bryans allwins, as the amusement trade had lost interest.