Bryans Clock with fruit dial

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
coppinpr

Re: Bryans Clock 12win Jackpot

Post by coppinpr »

That face is definitely not unknown, but I don't know when they were used.
Attachments
clock3.jpg
pauljt71

Re: Bryans Clock 12win Jackpot

Post by pauljt71 »

Interesting, so my clock face and single hand may be original for this particular model then...
brigham

Re: Bryans Clock with fruit dial

Post by brigham »

Presumably 'Glenvil' is the supplier of the conversion?
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Seems crazy to me that Bryans would have dumbed down a Clock mech themselves like this. Forgetting the major part of the mech which is the "Tick-Tock" to replicate a real clock, there is the complication of the two hands running with both stopping on 12 for a jackpot. I can't believe Bryans would build all that mech and then not add the other hand!? And how do you know you were supposed to win a jackpot or not with only one hand?? Makes total sense though that this Glenvil was either offering the conversion or likely doing it himself. There were obviously tons of boring Clocks floating around England that had been in the market forever so a change like this would add some new life for sure.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I have one with both hands.
cjfenney

Post by cjfenney »

Sorry for jumping on this post, I have a Bryans Clock (standard face) and must admit I do like this fruit dial and wondered if anyone knew where I could source a replacement face from at all? !PUZZLED! TIA
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

cjfenney wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:45 pm Sorry for jumping on this post, I have a Bryans Clock (standard face) and must admit I do like this fruit dial and wondered if anyone knew where I could source a replacement face from at all? !PUZZLED! TIA
I did buy a spare one I think at a previous Coventry auction. Can try and get a better scan, I was going to do a cleaned up one in photoshop as well..
Attachments
7D0BA970-AA47-4ABB-87AB-D2D9F6499DFD.jpeg
cjfenney

Post by cjfenney »

Oh lovely, if you do manage to replicate it, definitely let me know and I'll happily buy one from you?
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

cjfenney wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:05 pm Oh lovely, if you do manage to replicate it, definitely let me know and I'll happily buy one from you?
I’ll take one too, or I’m quite happy to do my own photoshopping, if you can provide a scan.
led77

Post by led77 »

Just an update, as many are aware lots of these have turned up. The conversion was done to simplifiy the Clock as many punters found them a little hard to grasp. The conversion made then easy visually to understand and helped the machine take more Money. I was told that Glenvil was the name of the convertor and was from Ireland.
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Could it be that 'Glenvil' refers to Glenvil Press Limited of Salisbury Hall Park road in Hull and they printed the dial face. They were trading from November 1951 and their main business was printing, now inactive.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I think we're getting warmer...

Glenvil One Shilling
GlenvilTokens.jpg
GlenvilTokens.jpg (137.12 KiB) Viewed 17 times

Made by Glenvil Press and Coin Automatics, Hull, Yorkshire, UK. Designed by J. Lennard who was the sole proprietor. Minted by The Mint, Birmingham and thought to be around 200,000 that were minted.
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/exonumia335812.html

Glenvil Press and Coin Automatics. The company was founded in 1942 and is involved in printing various items for the amusement industry such as fruit bands for fruit machines and bingo cards. They began making parts for fruit machines in 1946 and designed, manufactured and marketed their own machine in 1961. The tokens are the only ones to show a date, which represents the first year of issue. The tokens were designed by J. Lennard, the company's sole proprietor, Mr. Lennard used Israeli coins for inspiration when designing GP.002 and .003.
Token Corresponding Society Vol 1, No. 1
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Still Bryans, but a little off subject: can someone tell me what the machine is on the far left of this advert? I dont know much about Bryans machines (interesting that it mentions the "Peep Show" in the advert but no allwins).
Attachments
806.png
806.png (879.84 KiB) Viewed 234 times
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Bran Tub - a vendor.

led77 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:36 am Just an update, as many are aware lots of these have turned up. The conversion was done to simplifiy the Clock as many punters found them a little hard to grasp. The conversion made then easy visually to understand and helped the machine take more Money. I was told that Glenvil was the name of the convertor and was from Ireland.
What was the Irish connection? !PUZZLED!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

treefrog wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:11 am Bran Tub - a vendor.
And some rare classics next to it: the Pendulum, Postcard Vendor, Prize Finder, All Square wooden & metal cranes, plus Peep Show, Clock, Payramid and All Sport.
treefrog wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:11 am What was the Irish connection? !PUZZLED!
A red herring, I suspect.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Here is another Glenvil face, with both original hands intact
Attachments
Bryans-clock-glenvil-facea.jpg
Bryans-clock-glenvil-facea.jpg (121.07 KiB) Viewed 20 times
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

arrgee wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:12 pm Here is another Glenvil face, with both original hands intact

Ha ha, that’s the one I bought at a Coventry auction, probably 15 years ago and still have :cool:
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Small world tf. :cool: