Somebody knows... Maybe you?
jubilee

Jubilee Riviera - moving back to 5p / Shilling?

Postby jubilee » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:09 pm

Hi everyone - looks a very interesting forum with a good vibe! :)

Recently bought my first one armed bandit a Jubilee Riviera (Mini Maxi) and it's a beauty to behold. It plays on 20p pieces which just doesn't seem right to me (pretty horrible actually). How easy would it be to revert to the original coinage (5p)? It does seem quite happy to take the new 1p every now and again with no problems but a 2p doesn't fit in the front slot sadly.

Had a search around here bought couldn't find any definitve info so any comments much appreciated thanks :)

My level of mechanical expertise is zero :smash:

Machine picture below or here
1.JPG

raj

Re: Jubilee Riviera -moving back to 5p / schilling?

Postby raj » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:36 pm

Nice reliable machine which should run for years without any real problems, UNLESS you stick in a rusty screwdriver to try and tweak it to do something it is not meant to do. Changing coinage is fraught with pitfalls, so I'm not going to advise you how to do it at all. Enjoy it as it is !!THUMBSX2!!

jubilee

Postby jubilee » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Thanks, yes food for thought and I will take your advice :)

Is there a way to quickly 'empty' the machine as I've run out of coins. That's partly where my thinking started as I see bulk old 5p coins for sale but I suppose I can just pop into the bank and get a load 20p coins too.

And I will look out for a 2p or 5p machine.

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:20 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum,
Raj is right, a problem to convert, although not impossible. The parts you would need to replace would be the coin accepter, the coin tube, all the slides (if this machine uses slides - can't remember offhand) and perhaps the coin entry.
In my view the best coin to run a machine on is the old 6d, looks good, easy to buy and fits the era of most mechanical slot machines.

jubilee

Postby jubilee » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:39 pm

Thanks, yes 6d/sixpence would be fantastic. The 20p coin is very jarring.

As I said 8 out of 10 new pennies work so I will try to trace a 6d coin to see what happens and with a bit of luck it'll function without any work.

polaris

Re: Jubilee Riviera - moving back to 5p / Shilling?

Postby polaris » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:18 pm

my understanding of this is if it was originally shilling slight adjustment of coin entry would put it back nothing else has probably been changed as a 20p is similar in thickness and as such lends itself to conversion from shilling I,e pile of 10 old 5p same as pile 10 0f new 20p

aristomatic

Postby aristomatic » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:00 pm

If the previous post is correct in assumption that the slides are all original shilling someone else may want your 20p coin runway and be happy to swap your converted to 20p from shilling coin runway for their still all original shilling coin runway parts. Some prefer original coin, some prefer current - similar in vintage vending cans v bottle stacks.

jubilee

Postby jubilee » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:40 pm

Thanks people - I will hopefully get some sixpence and schillings tomorrow to test and then bulk quantity if working!
If not working looks like a trip to the bank as I've run out of 20p coins :D

jubilee

Postby jubilee » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:09 pm

OK, I got some sixpences, schillings and a threepenny coin - none worked. Not even close.
I will leave well alone as I love the machine and it works great on 20ps (got £30 worth at the bank. It holds about £26 before spilling over into the coin safe area).
Great machine although gambling's a mug's game if the payout level on this Jubilee is anything to go by! :D

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:59 pm

I think you've made the right decision.

Anyway, in my opinion gambling is a mug's game ...... period!
One of the reasons I love old slots is because I love the thought of a mechanical machine built by man to work independently of man for the sole purpose of fooling man into thinking he can win !!THUMBSX2!!