Let us know what you bought

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
polaris

Let us know what you bought

Post by polaris »

Nothing posted today - would imagine all at Coventry auction. Why not let us poor unfortunate people unable to attend see what you bought :lol:
cheeky

Re: let us know what you bought

Post by cheeky »

I couldn't possibly. Oh, all right then here we go. A cheeky little Wonder Bonuscope allwin and a lovely Spangles allwin and a very cheap Bullion on old penny for £220. I was told that there were bits missing and it didn't work. Well, for you miserable people who told me that after I bought it, I have news for you. It works perfectly! Granted, the case is a little shabby but come on, what can you expect for two hundred quid. :o
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Can't say I bought bargains, but ended up walking away with 4 machines, a cheap Duomat, not perfect, but mostly there, another Beromat, the Double six and most expensive one the Town Broker. Interesting Cheeky, I also had the lowdown after buying what was wrong with it, e.g. modified payouts to 4 coins and replacement case, but even with the Formica liked it, so went for it and it works, so happy. This is the type of machine that interests me these days, issue is, most of them don't end up at auction. Still, I think I am younger than one or two of you, so I am awaiting. dirtdog
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

treefrog wrote:Can't say I bought bargains, but ended up walking away with ******* a cheap Duomat ........
Bit of an oxymoron that Tom. Still great to see you and pleased my Double Six found a good home.

BP
ps I bought nothing, too busy cultivating a hernia.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

badpenny wrote: Bit of an oxymoron that Tom. Still great to see you and pleased my Double Six found a good home..
Yes your right, perhaps I was comparing it to the £70 one I bought at the Elephant (although in pieces). The other one at the auction was nice though, ex Harold machine.......

I thought you had sold your Double Six !OMFG! .....The double Six is one of the nicer version of the range. I am going to have to look at which Beromat versions I am missing now, can't be many (although once I go on the German site, I am sure there will be dozens)
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Let us know what you bought

Post by badpenny »

Don't forget I'm still slowly dismantling a donor Duomat if you find you need bits, and just for info I bought The Prazisa that was on eBay a couple of weeks ago.

prazisa.jpg
prazisa.jpg (38.84 KiB) Viewed 2569 times

I can't wait to get on with it, it's a beauty.
By the way I remember a thread on here a few years ago about the difficulties of replacing the veneer on these cases, so I'll share something I've found out.
Instead of using expensive veneers that warp as they dry and seem to benefit from humidity control as the glue dries, try this.

Go to your local model shop and buy their thinnest lengths of balsa. I use PVA wood glue and place heavy weights on it until it has dried and appears level with its surround. The tricky bit is staining it to match, then when that has dried cover it and its surround in either yacht or hard external varnish. If you didn't already know what you're looking at I swear you'd never realise. However what the hell do I know? I've been married three times and am on my second partnership since I stopped marrying them. Diabetes you see ..... can't eat wedding cake anymore!

BP
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Go to your local model shop and buy their thinnest lengths of balsa. I use PVA wood glue
Just an idea,and one I have not as yet tried but why use balsa. For many years Ive made model ships from scratch from wood strips, almost all types and colours of wood are available and used correctly are more plyable than balsa.They would have many advantages over balsa,being solid wood they are sandable while still keeping their colour. The big plus is using super glue instead of pva. All ship model makers use super glue it works perfectly. Another plus is there is no warping,shrinkage or glue release over time. The model shown below has been in my conservertry for 8 years with huge variations in temp and not a single joint has parted.

boat.jpg

a GeorgeVI sixpence to anyone who can ID the boat without enlarging the photo to read the info plate :tut
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

H M Brig ..... Muppetry? SkEpTiCaL
Supply? !PUZZLED!
Drat! I really wanted that tanner!
I should have gone to Specsavers....
Nice model, though. Well done.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Any of these gentlemen could identify the ship they served on............

199 Ball, Henry Lidgbird
Lieutenant - Royal Navy
1569 Blackburn, David
Ship's Master
8530 Bone, Joseph
Ship's Carpenter - Royal Navy
1949 Braiden Samuel
Quartermaster's Mate
1570 Braydon, John
Helmsman - Royal Navy
1571 Callam, James
Surgeon
4092 Carter, William
Able Seaman
1572 Davis, James
Seaman
1064 Dawes, William
2nd Lieutenant - Royal Marines
1520 Frederick, John
Seaman - Royal Navy
8934 Gore, George
Private - Royal Marines 20th Company
1574 Gould, Peter
Boatswain - Royal Navy
1575 Jay, Richard
Quartermaster - Royal Navy
1532 Jeffries, Joseph
Seaman
1576 Macdonald, William
Seaman
1577 Mc Clellan, Charles
Convict
As Yet Untraced
1183 Mc Mahon, Patrick
Private - Royal Marines 32nd (Portsmouth) Company
1579 Mooney, Richard
Seaman
1488 Moore, Samuel
Ship's Steward
1580 Reid, Robinson
Ship's Carpenter - Royal Navy
1219 Reilly, James
Private - Royal Marines 58th (Plymouth) Company
9039 Richardson, Richard
Private - Royal Marines 32nd (Portsmouth) Company
1581 Robinson, John
Able Seaman
1225 Rogers, James
Private - Royal Marines 15th (Plymouth) Company
1583 Shortland, John (Snr)
Lieutenant - Royal Navy
1489 Simms, William
Private - Royal Marines 8th Company
1584 Southwell, Daniel
Midshipman - Royal Navy
1253 Talbot, Peter
Corporal - Royal Marines 8th Company
1585 Tebree, Joseph
Seaman
9063 Todd, William
Private - Royal Marines 20th (Portsmouth) Company
1255 Tomlinson, Laurence
Private - Royal Marines
1307 Waters, Edmund
Clerk
1273 Winwood, George
Private - Royal Marines 15th (Plymouth) Company
1274 Wise, James
Private - Royal Marines 24th (Plymouth) Company
5302 Woodman, Jonathon
Private - Royal Marines
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

good, Mr smatry pants BP but not good enough, you missed the most important one of all Admiral Arther Phillip who made the brig supply the smallest navy ship ever to be a flag ship when he moved his flag to the supply half way to Australia , The supply was the first ship from the first fleet to enter Sydney (as it later became) and is know as "the ship that founded Australia" and is featured on the austrailian $10 note,if any of our long distance members care to look next time they have a note that big (ive been told you can buy 2 coronets for $10 in Aus these days,so there Mr smarty pants BP !!KIPPERSLAP!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Superior Sniff! ........ Admirals don't serve on ships.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

What I want to know is why are the cabin boys always called Roger? !!STEER!!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Admirals could and did serve on ships; admirals of the flag or rear admirals did not. Phillip did not get to be rear admiral till 1805 :didact:
Cabin boys were called Roger because it was a job description :shock:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I've just checked www.claphamisalwaysright.com and it confirms that every navy in the world has more admirals than ships.
As a consequence they are assigned to ships and and don't serve.
They can move from ship without orders to do so. During a sea battle they may reassign themselves as the fancy takes them depending on how the battle commences.

A seaman or officer serves and may not transfer in this manner without written orders from a superior officer.

Clearly I have invented every single word, sounds good though.

As for Roger the Cabin Boy, I'd like to thank everyone for not developing this thread onto the Pugwash theme.

Anyhoo I was suggesting sheets of Balsa instead of veneer, Paul suggested modeling wood? What does that look like Paul?

BP
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Simply very thin strips of solid wood. Amost all common woods are available from lime to teak, thin enough to be very pliable. The width of the strips is not very wide but similar to balsa sizes I believe. I'll upload a template of the different colours when I can get to the box it's in.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

coppinpr wrote:Simply very thin strips of solid wood. Amost all common woods are available from lime to teak, thin enough to be very pliable.
I know what you mean :didact: ................Veneers!!! !!DIG!!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

There's a product called Veneer Softener that is designed to, well, soften veneer for bending, or flattening for that matter if it's already buckled. Says it temporarily plasticizes wood cells to prevent splits and cracks. Not super cheap but worked great for me when i had to flatten some lovely mahogany burl veneer that had buckled like crazy over time. Needed the wood to restore a French crane cabinet that some over-zealot sanded like crazy through to ply! The idea with this stuff is you totally wet the veneer and either place it between flat boards like I did and clamp or weight down, or bend it around the curve you need to dry that way. Then you glue it.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I know what you mean ................Veneers!!!
NO these are not veneers. These can be bent into a circle - try doing that with a veneer. More of a stick actually.
JC

Post by JC »

As for Roger the Cabin Boy, I'd like to thank everyone for not developing this thread onto the Pugwash theme.
Ah, Captain Pugwash - we all remember it so well, don't we? How did they get away with it? Surely someone at the BBC must have twigged - Master Bates, Seaman Staines...........and the the best one of all, Roger the Cabin Boy..........ROGER THE CABIN BOY! Brilliant!
Sadly, it's an urban myth. There was no Master Bates (the bloke's name was Master Mate), no Seaman Staines, and the boring old cabin boy was called Tom.
This is how urban myths work. Something gets so entrenched in popular culture, that not only do we believe it - we think we remember it.