Somebody knows... Maybe you?
margamatix

Testo Reaction Meter

Postby margamatix » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:41 pm

Anyone got any experience of Testo Reaction Meters?
testo1.jpg
When were they manufactured, and by whom? Do they have a power source such as a battery? Anyone care to suggest a value?

Any other comments appreciated, as usual!

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:27 pm

I bought a dozen of them many years ago and kept one because they're rather good. You insert your coin which is held by a gate at the top and press the spring-loaded green button which is then held in place by a rubber sucker. At this point a battery contact is made to illuminate a bulb, the previous coin played drops to the cash box and your coin drops below the gate to rest on a pin connected to the button mechanism. You then wait until the sucker loses its grip, puts out the lamp, rings a bell.and releases the coin. The coin falls vertically and you have to press the red button as fast as you can. The coin is stopped dead as one side of the channel closes against it. Your reaction time is measured by how far the coin drops against a scale indicating your stopping distance when travelling at 30 mph, with comments about your fitness to drive. If you are fast enough you get your coin back.

I've seen three different glasses on them. The one in your picture is the best I think. One has no graphics, just a scale (probably the earliest) and the other looks a bit more modern. They must have been made during the 1960s and would have been sighted in pubs and clubs. "Approved by the Society For The Prevention Of Accidents", the idea of course was to see if you were fit to take the wheel after a few bevies at a time when the carnage resulting from drink-driving was beginning to be taken seriously.

They're quite cheaply and simply constructed little ply box affairs, but nevertheless ingenious and effective. They don't require a battery to work - that justs adds the visual cue. I'll let someone else hazard a guess as to value.

margamatix

Postby margamatix » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:55 pm

Brilliant, won it at £62!

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:45 pm

You can't complain at that!
It was what I'm calling the early version, wasn't it?
Maybe you could send us a nice picture of it when you pick it up.
Make sure that glass doesn't get broken.
I wonder if there's any manufacturer's mark on it.

margamatix

Postby margamatix » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:55 am

Here's the item number 300039976339 and I will have a good look around it when I get it to see if there is a manufacturer's plate.

Seller says it is currently working on 2p pieces but I presume it was pre-decimal. I may convert it back, I don't know yet.

Thanks for the info.

margamatix

Postby margamatix » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:21 pm

I have been searching Google for more information about Testo Reaction Machines (TRM's), but it seems there is so little information out there that this thread on the PennyMachines forum, which I only started a few days ago is already at "No 3" on Google.

No's 1 and 2 simply being completed eBay listings for TRMs previously auctioned. There is nothing else.

So I thought I would turn this thread into The Definitive Online Resource for Testo Reaction Machines.

Until something better comes along!

To this end, here is one of the alternative backglasses mentioned by PennyMachines.
testo2.jpg

Perhaps someone can post an image of the other backglass at some stage?

In any event, I will post more photos when I have collected my new acquisition.

jimmycowman

Postby jimmycowman » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:36 pm

You've started something now - I've never seen so many Testos for sale before on eBay.

fingermouse79

TESTO PURCHASE

Postby fingermouse79 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:44 pm

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hey guys, I just bought my first Testo. I am picking it up this week. I am chuffed to bits that I managed to find one. Had a good battle on eBay to get it. Bidding to the bitter end.

When I get it I'll be sure to contact you all again and supply pictures and further information.

Speaking of which, there is nothing of these on the internet at all?? Any ideas of history would be great.

margamatix

Re: TESTO PURCHASE

Postby margamatix » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:09 pm

fingermouse79 wrote:Had a good battle on eBay to get it. Bidding to the bitter end.

Online snipers are your friend... http://snip.pl/en/ does it for me.

Can't find anything on the internet myself- this thread seems to be No 1 now if you search Google for information on Testos.

And welcome in!

fingermouse79

TESTO reaction meter purchase!!!

Postby fingermouse79 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:04 am

Yesterday I bought a Testo reaction meter. I picked it up from Vic (a fantastic man with lots of knowledge of arcade machines).

I currently have it sitting in my computer room, though will be soon putting it up on display in the hallway.

I have some pictures to post here for your interest.
tn_DSC00016.JPG
tn_DSC00016.JPG (7.42 KiB) Viewed 6057 times
tn_DSC00017.JPG
tn_DSC00017.JPG (6.92 KiB) Viewed 6057 times
tn_DSC00018.JPG
tn_DSC00018.JPG (8.03 KiB) Viewed 6057 times
tn_DSC00019.JPG
tn_DSC00019.JPG (9.16 KiB) Viewed 6057 times