Testo Reaction Meter

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
margamatix

Post by margamatix »

OK, just a brief update........

I had a new coinbox lock fitted as the locksmith couldn't match the key. He charged me £10.87 including fitting.

I decided I couldn't live with the Ronseal finish, so I stripped it off and rubbed down the cabinet very lightly, before applying two thin coats of clear varnish. I left the fag burns on the top as I think they give it a nice "pubby" atmosphere. All in all it looks a hundred times better.

I fitted a new battery and at first the illumination of the light was a bit erratic. This turned out to be because of dirt and some light oxidisation on the brass or copper plate fitted to the rear of the green button, so I cleaned it with a cotton bud and some WD40. Works perfectly now.

Then I gave the moving parts (very few) a very light oiling which has made a small improvement to the action.

And now I am on the look out for my next machine. I fancy a Bryan's Clock - for Gawd's sake don't anyone tell the Missus how much they are!
Attachments
Photo06_2A.jpg
steinslots

Post by steinslots »

I bought one of those reaction testers ages ago for £45! (mind you it was rough). They are a pain if you want to change the coinage though. Mine is on old 5p and I had to make a "cash door" for it, otherwise the coins fall out of the bottom!.

Have you ever had a coin jam inside (one behind the other) and tried to rescue it without taking all of the screws out?

I love it because they are British and kind of quaint. I had to get some more instruction labels made because the screen print had come off. I've still got some spares somewhere..........
balcombeite

Testo Reaction Machine

Post by balcombeite »

I bought about 80 of these machines approx 20 years ago with many of them installed in pubs & fish & chip shops etc. - it was a bit of a part time job for the wife but she never got on with them and so I took them all out and have been storing them in my shed ever since. I have hundreds of spare parts, keys, glass fronts aluminium decals etc. and I've now had a look at them with a view to (maybe) restoring them or at least cleaning them up. I think that in the past the previous owner must of painted all the cases black but I believe the originals were in a natural wood finish ?? - Question, is it best to strip them down to bare wood and then varnish them or by doing so would I be doing exactly the wrong thing ???
malcymal

Re: Testo Reaction Machine

Post by malcymal »

Could we have a photo so we can see what it is?
terry

Post by terry »

I think I know the machines you mean. Wooden case with a glass front? You insert a penny and stop a dropping element in vertical columns by pressing a button to test your reaction? If so, wooden cases would be more desirable but they are not of any great value so would it be worth the trouble??
balcombeite

Post by balcombeite »

Here goes with attempt number 4 to upload a picture !!!!! - if it works you'll notice this unit has a handle as it was easier to carry it around to prospective sites, - made it a lot easier to carry !!!

From comments so far maybe its best to leave it painted black rather than all the trouble of stripping them all back to bare wood ???? - all comments certainly appreciated.
Attachments
Testo1.jpg
terry

Post by terry »

no, still didn't work. Don't you just love computers?!!! :-x
balcombeite

Post by balcombeite »

For some reason when I try to upload a .jpg file the computer just sits there for ages saying "uploading file" , - I did manage to upload a picture in Word format which you can access in the previous postm - click on testo.doc and a picture should open up !!! - hopefully.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Balcombeite wrote:For some reason when I try to upload a .jpg file the computer just sits there for ages saying "uploading file"
Hi, :D welcome to the forum, think the problem could be that your jpg file is too big :oops: , Try it with a reduced file size and it should work OK,
Rgards Stuart. :tarah:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Balcombeite - I've inserted your image. As Stuart said - the size of your original jpeg picture file needed reducing. See How to Upload Images

This thread is now merged to include details of the maker and patent.
Attachments
Unpainted example
Unpainted example
margamatix

Post by margamatix »

I've restored one (in fact, I think it's the one in the photo above) and I stripped it because it had been painted appallingly badly in Ronseal. Then I varnished it and it looked a lot better, although you should bear in mind that the cabinets are made of plywood which isn't particularly attractive.

As you have several, I would suggest stripping and varnishing one of them to see what you think, I personally would be tempted to leave them "as is" unless the paintwork is particularly bad.

It amazes me that a machine which principally relies on a rubber suction cap for its operation still works perfectly after some 30-40 years.
special when lit

Swedish Testo machine

Post by special when lit »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... SS:GB:3160

This has just popped up on American ebay.
I always thought Testo machines were made in Wales, supposedly by an ex policeman.
Just wondered if anyone knows anything about this, never seen one with that glass on either.
Attachments
testo.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Swedish Testo machine

Post by pennymachines »

It doesn't appear to be Swedish made. I can't read the address but I'm guessing "Testo Company" may be one of the "ABA" Arthur Brown Associated Companies of Llandudno GB. I've seen these in the US before, so I imagine it was manufactured in Wales for export to America. I don't understand (maybe our American cousins can comment) how the coinage on the glass can be "Nickel" when the speed is in Mph, not Kmph. !PUZZLED!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

pennymachines wrote: I don't understand (maybe our American cousins can comment) how the coinage on the glass can be "Nickel" when the speed is in Mph, not Kmph.
PM, USA is MPH, OK?
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

713492930_tp_zps54d40ead.jpg
713492930_tp_zps54d40ead.jpg (19.54 KiB) Viewed 4363 times

pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Gameswat wrote:PM, USA is MPH, OK?
:oops:
TESTO COMPANY ... MADE IN SWEDEN
!!SUICIDAL!!

I now maintain, without fear of contradiction !SEARCH! ... the TESTO reaction tester originates from Sweden, being the invention of Klaus Johannes Ylinen, a Finnish Subject of Frejgatan, 13 Stockholm, (as per patent GB786414). Versions were made for the Testo Company of 15 Mustang Road, Rolling Hills, California and the one we see most often here, with blue lorry, Zebra Crossing, Belisha Beacon and badged "ABA", for Arthur Brown Associated Companies of Llandudno (who had the UK franchise).
john t peterson

Re: Testo Reaction Meter

Post by john t peterson »

Challenge the PM at your peril! !OMFG!
53chevy

Testo reaction machine

Post by 53chevy »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

My Son bought a machine a while back to play around with but the graphic on the front is useless.
I wondered if anyone on here has a glass with the graphic on or a copy of the artwork so I can get one made for him.

Regards Pat.
treefrog

Re: Testo reaction machine

Post by treefrog »

No-one answered you, but doing a search on here, there is a thread (now merged above - Site Admin.) on these machines and they often come up at auction. This might prompt someone to send a better picture of one.
bryans fan

Re: Testo reaction machine

Post by bryans fan »