Mills Bell O Matic help

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
barnzy11

Mills Bell O Matic help

Post by barnzy11 »

Hey! I'm new to the forum so little introduction my names Dan and I have just purchased a mills bell o matic fruit machine, I have searched everywhere on the Internet to find out some information on it but to no avail. So I found this place and I really hope one of you guys can help me out..

Here's the thing it came with about 30 tokens in the bottom tray when the back was removed, I took these out and placed them through the coin slot to feed and play the machine, the thing is I can see them rolling past on the window at the top but where are they going? I've used them all up and didn't get a payout so does the machine have a chamber somewhere that needs filling before payout and that's where there going? I took the back off again but I still can't see where they are going, also is the glass window down the bottom a jackpot payout and should this also be filling up as it is completely empty?

I will try and attach a pic of the machine
Attachments
1441216788524-404866595.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Mills bell o matic help

Post by badpenny »

Hi barnzy11 and welcome to the best forum dedicated to yesteryear's slot machines.

Looks a nice machine.
A quick introduction to it.
After a coin has been played it should appear in the little window at the top (as you mentioned) that's so the operator can watch that real coins are being used.
After they've passed across they drop into the coin tube that runs vertically up the front of the mechanism. You can see that if you remove the mechanism. That tube probably contains over a hundred coins. At the bottom of this tube sits the payout slides.
Once the tube is filled coins should then overflow at the top and go down a chute that allows the jackpot bank (in the bottom window to fill up.
Eventually when that is full the coins overflow that and fall into a cash box situated in the very bottom.

If nothing has paid out when you had a winning line then I expect there are not enough to lay flat in the payout slides and have jammed them.
Your machine is a Mills Hi-Top running on the old 6d. Or at least the case is, there is always the possibility the mechanism is from a later machine, but that shouldn't make much difference the working will be the same.

Where are you in the country?

BP
barnzy11

Post by barnzy11 »

Hi BP

Thank you so much for your quick reply! So it seems to be that I need to put in a lot more coins to start filling up the chutes and compartments as you mentioned.

I did put about 20 coins in thin then I have 3 oranges In a row but no payout, would this just be a case of not enough money in the machine and it wouldn't have harmed the mechanism would it? It had been fully restored when I bought it so I don't think there was hardly any coins in there only the 40 or so he left in the cash Box at the bottom.

Also Is there a way of finding out the exact year of this machine?

Thanks again for your help I really do appreciate it
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I think you've probably got at least one coin up turned coin in the slides.
It does happen when the tube is emptied, there's no reason to think you've damaged anything.

The case suggests it could be ................

If you know how to remove the mechanism then take a photo of all four sides plus the coins you're using. so we can confirm/deny and advise you how to clear it further. !THUMBS!

BP
barnzy11

Post by barnzy11 »

i watched that video, that seems to have 3 coins at the top window that move across when the arm is pulled, mine has 5 coins and i just put another coin in there pulled the arm and they all move across fine, is that the place you was on about where a coin could be upturned or did you mean somewhere else?
i would not have a clue how to remove the mechanism is it easy enough to do? or could i ruin the whole set up of the machine in attempting it. its a gift for my dads birthday on Sunday you see so don't want to mess about with it to much.

oh and i am in Essex by the way !!>*<!!
barnzy11

Post by barnzy11 »

I have managed to pull the inside unit out slightly and I can see the top of quite a few coins in that middle compartment (I have attached a picture) does this mean it's all moving freely and nothings jammed?
Attachments
14412246144621132003186a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I think the coin jam is further down.
You're looking at the top of the jackpot bank.
It's probable that the jam is in the coin payout slides which sit at the bottom of the coin tube.
You won't see it unless you remove the mechanism completely and put it on a table in front of you.

Make sure you use the best dinner table with beloved's favourite lace tablecloth under it.
You aren't going to damage anything, it's made to do this and were constructed to withstand years of hard bashing.
barnzy11

Post by barnzy11 »

Right so the jam is potentially below the jackpot bank? Would it just be caught in the payout slide and just a matter of prodding my fingers down there to release? Would that problem also stop the jackpot chamber filling up then or is that just a matter of needing more coins to pile into it? I thought maybe that started to slowly fill up from the start of feeding it coins.

OK that's good I slid it out half way to take that pic so is it just a case of sliding it out even further so it completely removes itself? No clips or locks have to be turned to release it fully?

Sorry if it seems I'm asking some of the same questions or silly questions I just really don't want to break it as it cost a fair chunk of money haha
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

No sweat Dan, all of your questions have been sensible. I guess you have a steepish learning curve in front of you.
barnzy11

Post by barnzy11 »

Thanks BP,

So what do you advise I do, should I pull that centre mechanism out then have a look around? Or maybe take a few photos and post them here for you to look at and maybe guide me if it's not too much trouble?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

BP has got you on the right track. By the way, beware! Buying one machine obligates your brain to buy loads more - strange but true. :o
The coin jam BP is mumbling about will not be in the jackpot or below it. It's most likely at the bottom of the long round brass tube that runs down the front of the mech. This tube holds about 100 coins and feeds the payout slides that rest below it. What happens is that if there are not many coins in it - one will get turned on edge during transit, stopping it falling flat into the slides at the bottom, ready to make a payout.
When you remove the mech from the case, you will see that the escalator (the part that moves the five coins along) stays in the case and the mech will have a slot where the coin exiting the escalator falls down into the tube. Looking from the front of the machine, with the tube slightly to your right, remove the small cover that deflects the coin coming from this slot into the tube (just two small screws facing you) and look down the tube with a torch. If there are coins, try turning the mech upside down and shake out the coins (it's heavy), then look down and see if there is a coin jammed upright in the bottom of the tube. If there is, come back, tell us, and we will sort it. This is what we do well on this site - we will fix it for you. Remember, the more photos the better and easier it is for us.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Mumbling? .... me? ..........
I'll have you know I speak very good Spanish and I am fluent in Gibberish it's just English I have issues with.

:NBG:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

this is the only photo I could find at short notice
1. = the slot the coin starts out at
2. = the tube in question
3. = the the cover you need to remove(already removed in this photo)
4. = the payout slides

mech.jpg
mech.jpg (38.7 KiB) Viewed 2563 times

barnzy11

Post by barnzy11 »

Ah I understand a lot more now you have explained with that photo, I really hope that the problem lies in that tube then, I will attempt to do this on Sunday with my dad once I take it round for his birthday don't really wanna be messing too much with it now. So if the penny is upturned in that tube it's just a matter of giving it a good shake to dislodge it?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Possibly, but not likely. With all the other coins removed you might get it to move, or you might move it with a long screwdriver, but usually you will need to remove the tube (1 screw on the right side of the tube top housing close to where arrow 3 is pointing). The tube then lifts out and you can see/clear any jam in the slides below. Before you do anything, check the machine is actually jammed. Run the machine and listen... You should hear 5 distinctive noises: 1, 2, 3 will be the reels stopping one at a time, then 4 will be the horizontal fingers checking for a win and 5 will be the payout slides releasing (even if there is no win). If there is no 5th click, then it's likely not a jam. Also check if there are coins in the tube available to payout. If there are not, then it's not paying because there are no coins in the payout tube - so check the coins are reaching the tube. Drop a coin directly into the opening at arrow 1. See if it enters the tube. Put the mech back in the case and run a cycle... See if the coin exits the escalator and enters the opening at arrow 1.
As for the jackpot, it will not start to fill until the tube is already full, then coins will slide of the top of the payout tube and either into the JP or the coin box under the machine. To fill a Hi-top with 6d coins (jackpot and payout tube) you will need about 400 coins. You might think that you don't actually need to fill it right up, but the problem is, if you don't, then you will never have a coin in hand to play the machine with, because no coin will reach the coin box till the machine is full. You can reduce this to about 100 coins by switching the jackpot auto fill off. Then you can load the jackpot by hand with a few coins or tokens of any kind, so it looks good and has something to pay. Meanwhile, all coins over and above the 100 needed to fill the payout tube will divert to the coin box, so you have coins to play with.
barnzy11

Post by barnzy11 »

Ahh thats brilliant, might just try and give this a go tonight then, I'll test the bangs again tonight but I'm 99% sure there was 5 bangs because I remember noticing it.

Can I feel this machine up with coins while the mechanism is out or does it all have to cycle through using the coin slot?

How do I know if the auto fill jackpot is currently turned on or off is there a lever?

You guys don't know anywhere to buy the 6d tokens in bulk either do you or is it just a case of hunting on eBay?
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

my tuppence worth....

i wouldnt worry about the jackpot for now.....

just concentrate on issue of non paying/coinjam

if you do follow previous posters on removing the tall vertical cointube just be aware that there is a lever
at the top rear of the tube that moves forward and back thru a slot or hole at the back. this levers job is to
direct [kick] coins from the top of the coin tube [when coin tube is full], into the top of the jackpot as an
autofeed for the jackpot.

its very easy [even those that are experienced] to forget this lever when removing the coin tube to clear any
jams.

its not complicated, its just best to look at this lever before you remove the cointube to familiarise yourself
with its position then its more easily reset when you come to reattach the cointube once cointube and slides
have been checked.

as this lever is part of the jackpot auto loading system then at least when you come to sort out any jackpot
issues at a later date you will know what this lever does and that it is in place.

as not experienced take advice but ensure that you are methodical and only adjust/remove in small steps
as its easier to retrace. if you have a digital camera its always a benefit to take pix of the items you are
going to adjust/remove prior to doing so, so at least you have a record of how they were beforehand.

as a caveat, dont take it for granted that the current positioning/adjustment/parts etc are correct or in
the correct adjustment but at least you can retrace and or attach images to say does this look right etc

take small steps and im sure you will get there

GP
humperdingle

Post by humperdingle »

Take lots of photos from all angles so you can see where things were originally.

I just bought my 1st machine recently but have had lots of help and advice from the members - Hope you get to the bottom of the issues.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

As you can tell, I've got nothing to do today... so I'm filling time sorting your problem. :cool:
Buy 6d coins, not tokens. No one likes a machine that is all tokens. 6d are to be had quite cheap on ebay.

I can't be sure without some photos, but your machine will almost certainly have 2 jackpots built into the one JP mech; a main at the bottom and a reserve at the top,. The coins drop into the reserve; when a jackpot is paid the main empties into the front coin tray, then closes; the reserve then opens and drops its load into the main, then closes. A masterpiece of engineering, but complex and some operators removed the reserve making it one large JP. You can load the JP by hand with the mech out of the case. Open the small swing door on the top of the JP( see photo below) with your finger or a small stick and pour in some coins. These will fall directly into the main JP; let the door close and add some more. This will fill the reserve.
The jackpot auto fill is actually controlled by 2 small swing doors, one at its top and one below it. To switch off the auto fill, remove the two springs that hold these doors closed and they should swing open and allow the coins straight into the coin box (see photos below).

You can fill the payout tube with the mech out of the case. Just do it slowly, as it's a great way to get a coin jammed sideways in the tube. !OMFG!
Here you can see the reserve (R) and main (M) jp.
Here you can see the reserve (R) and main (M) jp.

Looking down into the jp you can see the first swing door (1).
Looking down into the jp you can see the first swing door (1).

Here you can see the two springs you need to remove to stop auto-fill.
Here you can see the two springs you need to remove to stop auto-fill.

This photo is just to scare you, but you can see the spring that holds the lower door closed.
This photo is just to scare you, but you can see the spring that holds the lower door closed.

treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Oddly, I seem to have won a similar machine in auction today in North Essex - Hi Top number 34.... I liked this one as it was good and original and was locally supplied by Golding Automatics in Colchester. It also came with a period stand.

I will be in North Essex Saturday, if you are in that area, and may be able to help on fixing your issue, and I also have thousands of tokens and sixpences.... if any good.
Attachments
mill2.jpg
mill1.jpg