E/M Bally bandits

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
coppinpr

Re: Bally gold award fruit machine help

Post by coppinpr »

One of the parts I like best is restoring the glass, but results vary a lot. The belly glass looks fine,you need to remove it for cleaning and re touching from the back, strangely removing the belly glass and even replacing the belly lighting tubes is not always easy on these,you Might be lucky and get at it from inside the door but often you need to remove the chrome trim round the belly glass to get it out.
The payout glass is bad but you might be able to at least part save it, as we said before spares are out there and this is not a rare machine so worth looking, if you want to work on it remove it,carefully clean it,you will need to remove any badly flaked paint (sometimes you can get sections of flake to re fix with clear varnish) then it's down to repainting from the back usually with enamels or acrylics plus a coat of Matt white on last, be sure to photo the front before you start.and keep mixing colours till they are exact
barnzy11

Post by barnzy11 »

Ok I think I will give the glass a go once she's up and running, on closer inspection I should be able to make it look pretty presentable doing that.

Right we have connected a wire up to it and we have power! !THUMBS! I have attached pics of inside of the door and around the mechanism as requested. What's the next stage now?
Attachments
IMAG0206a.jpg
IMAG0204a.jpg
IMAG0207a.jpg
IMAG0205a.jpg
IMAG0214a.jpg
IMAG0215a.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Well not so easy as I hoped. It's a later model than I was hoping for. Gone are the mechanical payouts, replaced by a button switch board. Also, there is a feature (gold award) so more electrics. All the wiring seems to be there, so you need spray switch cleaner (not WD40). Spray all the electrics (not the slides themselves) and see if it works. You will see a switch just below the coin checker - it has a wire. Coins exiting the checker hit the wire, make the switch and close a solenoid, putting the handle on the case in touch with the mechanism, so pulling the handle cycles the machine. I remember setting a machine up once for free play where this solenoid was always on, or at least set in the on position. This is what is most likely the case if yours is on free play. Work the coin switch by hand (screwdriver) and see if it fires a solenoid. Rotate the reels to set up a payout and see if that works. Remember, it is not as easy as it might be because this machine is electromechanical. The mech will have to be in the case to work because it literally plugs into the case as you push it in. Engineers used a cable to test machines out of the case - we can't. So clean the connections, check the result and trace the coin to handle route and see what's happening.
barnzy11

Post by barnzy11 »

OK, I we will try that tomoz and see what happens. My dad did put a coin in it earlier out of curiosity and it went down the top chute and into the gold coin mechanism bit (sorry I don't know the correct terms yet) and it just sat there and wouldn't go any further?
raj

Post by raj »

The thing to remember about the Bally is that they were electromechanical, in so much that if the mechanical part did not perform its correct function, then the electro part would not work either. These mechs are notorious for sticking, due to hardened grease, which means the contacts do not close as they should. The tube on the side has an end of stroke switch, which if not operated will cause the rest of the mech to be inoperative. Concentrate on the mechanics and hopefully the electrics will fall into place.
barnzy11

Post by barnzy11 »

Right, I'll be sure to check all that over, can the mechanics be sprayed with a light oil? Like maybe the brand 3in1? What seems to be making the penny stick is a magnet in the gold mechanism, it rolls through to where that small silver square Is in the middle then just magnets to it and won't go any further? Does that magnet need to be disabled somehow?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The magnet is trapping the coin because it thinks it's a dud,this is because later 1p coins have a higher iron content over the early ones, remove the magnet, those coin mechs Un clip to remove,then open the gate and release the magnet,hopefully the coin will pass the gap if not you need to fill the gap or De magnetise the magnet and replace it. As you interested in checking the coins you could remove the coin checker altogether and just direct the coins past the wire switch.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The mech needs cleaning rather than just spraying with oil,the mechanical parts on these are few compared to early machines,clean off all hard grease and lightly oil with 3 in 1. Never oil close to an y coin area, the payout slides will need to be removed and cleaned,possibly with wire wool as they look to be a little rusty, there are so many switches on these that you do need switch cleaner spray
barnzy11

Post by barnzy11 »

Ahh right I see that makes sense now. I will have a play with that then and remove the magnet. In regards to testing the coin wire is it best I purchase the spray switch cleaner and do that stage first before testing the wire?

Also with the 3in1 oil is the spray oil best to use or the squirt one?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

No reason why you can't try the switch at once, but don't expect everything to work. What you're really hoping for is for at least some things to go click. If it's all dead we will have to start at the beginning. Beware, solenoids that have have been idle for years have a habit of whining very loudly at you. This is not always a bad sign, unless another switch is supposed to switch it off and hasn't.
The thing about oil on slots is this, when they were made the options were limited - grease was used as it was long lasting and the choice of the day. One of our biggest enemies is that original grease, now oxidised into solid lumps that do just opposite of what was intended. Because we use our machines very lightly compared to their arcade days, modern very light oil in small amounts is enough for every 3 months. Sometimes I use 3-in-One spray, usually on mechanical clocks and slot doors because it includes the WD40 type easer, but the can with the long nose is best.
barnzy11

Post by barnzy11 »

Hey,

Right so I went round to my dad's to try the things on the bally that you said and here is what happened..

We took the magnet out of the coin checker so now the 1p passes through ok, only thing is it goes straight through and out of the payout tray on the front of the machine and not through where the wire switch is you mentioned? Is there a reason for this?

We plugged the machine in and pushed the wire switch with a screwdriver and it clicked/made a noise to say it's working, we then pulled the handle and set up the reels for a win and all the payout section made the right noises so I think that's all ok? So what would be next now?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

The coin validator is rejecting the coin as being a dud.
As you've removed the magnet you probably know how get it out by now, if not, it's this bit and the release catches are at the top on both sides.

IMAG0214a.jpg
IMAG0214a.jpg (42.1 KiB) Viewed 4171 times

It's easier to work on these little beasties when they're not in the case.
Look underneath it and you'll see there are two exit slots, one for accepted coins which go on to trip the credit switch and the other for rejected coins which get returned to the payout tray.
Are you sure it works on 1np?
Does an older coin (try one that isn't affected by a magnet) exit from the accepted chute at the bottom?
The newer coins are not only affected by magnets, they're also slightly thicker.
You should find an adjusting screw which should help you.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

This might be of help !PUZZLED!
S10 Coin Mech Instruction Manual
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Are you saying when you work the switch it then allows you to pull the handle and the machine works correctly?
Are you all so saying when a winner comes up the machine actually pays out?
barnzy11

Post by barnzy11 »

Badpenny - well we assumed it took new penny's as it says 1np on the front !PUZZLED! Dad has tried a few old penny's as well but they are doing the same thing?

Coppinpr - the handle works the reels whether there is a coin inserted or not as it maybe still on freeplay? What we did was trip the wire with a screwdriver, then we pulled the handle anyway to get the reels spinning and moved them onto a winning line, let the brakes kick in then it made all the noises for the payout, we have no money in it at all for it to actually pay out, I was unsure whether to put a few penny's in the payout tube incase they got stuck if they were the wrong ones.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

So, it's on free play and seems to be working.
The Coin Mechanism is rejecting all coins.

Q1) Does the handle engage if the power isn't on?
Ai)If so then there's been a manual interference to keep the Play Solenoid engaged regardless of power
Aii)If not then there's been an electric interference to keep The Play Solenoid engaged only when the power is on.

Q2) What did you find after you removed the Coin Acceptor like I suggested and then read the excellent file that slotalot sent you? For there lies the answer to your "coin in" problem.

Tell us the answer to Q1 above and what happened regarding Q2 and we'll nearly be home my friend! !!THUMBSX2!!
barnzy11

Post by barnzy11 »

Yes the handle engages regardless of power, and as for the coin acceptor I will remove that to have an in depth look with the manual that slotalot sent over (much appreciated.) at the weekend, I just text my dad last night to try some of his old pennies in it to see if the machine accepted.

!!THUMBSX2!! Can't wait to get this up and running thank you all so much!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

In that case trace the linkage across from the handle into the mechanism and somewhere you'll find a solenoid operated linkage that should be normally open and somebody will have tied it so it remains closed. They might have removed a wire to the solenoid and/or removed a spring.
I've not had one of these machines, I prefer purely mechanical machines, however the workings aren't very complicated.

Deal with that issue and you'll lose the free play element, having done that you only need to check it by flicking the wire on the micro switch beneath the coin mechanism to confirm it, then sort out the coin acceptor using slotalot's manual.

Be aware though that in the world of "Slots" it's often one step forward followed by two steps backwards until you get to the bottom of all the bodged jobs previous owners have attempted.

BP
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

This was certainly the case for a Sega Windsor I had: switch cleaner needed on a solenoid which was tucked away, also combined with a dry joint coming into the coin receiver mechanism at the rear. As said before, beware the Ballys earthing. We actually had a Bally Gold Award (Golden Girl belly glass) and got quite a sting from it just by touching its case. Difficulty in dealing with this issue is needing the power constantly on and off to see if you get it right or notice changes in what you do.
barnzy11

Post by barnzy11 »

Hey guys, well I got a chance to pop round me dad's, we traced the linkage back and we found this loose spring that could be the problem? Any ideas where it goes? We tried to put it on the little tube directly above it but it is slightly too small and doesn't fit :(