Somebody knows... Maybe you?
barnzy11

Re: Bally gold award fruit machine help

Postby barnzy11 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:00 pm

OK, I'll pop 'round me dad's tonight and have a look. I'll try and get all cable sorted, maybe tonight as well, if my dad has some. Shall I take the pictures you mentioned tonight? Or when I connect the power up to it? Don't mean to sound stupid, but if I connect this up and plug it in, is there any chance this machine could go bang and do some damage? If so I'll extension lead it into the garden. haha

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:41 pm

Like I said, there is a lot of 220v going in there. There will be a transformer knocking some of it down to 110 v perhaps a little down to a lot less, but yes... it might go bang.. Unlikely to do damage as long as fuses are in the line (there may well be fuses inside the machine, as well as your new shiny plug, so check they are good). The most likely outcome will be one or more lights will eventually come on and perhaps the coin mech solenoid will pull in when you put a coin in.

This machine is one of the "Money Honey" series that actually tolled the death of the mechanical slot machine. It's an early mix of mechanical and electronic, and that is good for your purposes. Not a lot of it uses power; the lights, the coin mech, and the payout. I don't think this model has any special feature, so that's about it really. Send those photos, and we will take it one section at a time, starting with lights (which will tell us power is at least getting in there). We won't concentrate on getting all the lights going yet, just at least one, then we will look at the coin mech solenoid, then the payout.

Historical note- I'm writing this with a view of Hagia.Sophia in Istanbul and not a view of a Bally machine, which is interesting, but not ideal.

barnzy11

Postby barnzy11 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:40 am

That's brilliant coppinpr thank you, I am round my dad's this evening so we are going to attempt to wire it up and plug it in, so fingers crossed! I will post in here this evening to let you know how we got on and some photos.

In regards to the reel glass, as you can see its pretty faded and tatty, is there anything I can do to this? Is there replacements available or something else I can replace it with? Or is it just a case of that's how it is and nothing can be done?

Thanks again

humperdingle

Postby humperdingle » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:14 am

I noticed one identical to this machine went on fleabay last night... Good nick, too, but looks to have been removed :(

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:49 pm

One of the parts I like best is restoring the glass, but results vary a lot. The belly glass looks fine,you need to remove it for cleaning and re touching from the back, strangely removing the belly glass and even replacing the belly lighting tubes is not always easy on these,you Might be lucky and get at it from inside the door but often you need to remove the chrome trim round the belly glass to get it out.
The payout glass is bad but you might be able to at least part save it, as we said before spares are out there and this is not a rare machine so worth looking, if you want to work on it remove it,carefully clean it,you will need to remove any badly flaked paint (sometimes you can get sections of flake to re fix with clear varnish) then it's down to repainting from the back usually with enamels or acrylics plus a coat of Matt white on last, be sure to photo the front before you start.and keep mixing colours till they are exact

barnzy11

Postby barnzy11 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:02 pm

Ok I think I will give the glass a go once she's up and running, on closer inspection I should be able to make it look pretty presentable doing that.

Right we have connected a wire up to it and we have power! !THUMBS! I have attached pics of inside of the door and around the mechanism as requested. What's the next stage now?
IMAG0206a.jpg
IMAG0204a.jpg
IMAG0207a.jpg
IMAG0205a.jpg
IMAG0214a.jpg
IMAG0215a.jpg

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:51 pm

Well not so easy as I hoped. It's a later model than I was hoping for. Gone are the mechanical payouts, replaced by a button switch board. Also, there is a feature (gold award) so more electrics. All the wiring seems to be there, so you need spray switch cleaner (not WD40). Spray all the electrics (not the slides themselves) and see if it works. You will see a switch just below the coin checker - it has a wire. Coins exiting the checker hit the wire, make the switch and close a solenoid, putting the handle on the case in touch with the mechanism, so pulling the handle cycles the machine. I remember setting a machine up once for free play where this solenoid was always on, or at least set in the on position. This is what is most likely the case if yours is on free play. Work the coin switch by hand (screwdriver) and see if it fires a solenoid. Rotate the reels to set up a payout and see if that works. Remember, it is not as easy as it might be because this machine is electromechanical. The mech will have to be in the case to work because it literally plugs into the case as you push it in. Engineers used a cable to test machines out of the case - we can't. So clean the connections, check the result and trace the coin to handle route and see what's happening.

barnzy11

Postby barnzy11 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:36 pm

OK, I we will try that tomoz and see what happens. My dad did put a coin in it earlier out of curiosity and it went down the top chute and into the gold coin mechanism bit (sorry I don't know the correct terms yet) and it just sat there and wouldn't go any further?

raj

Postby raj » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:07 pm

The thing to remember about the Bally is that they were electromechanical, in so much that if the mechanical part did not perform its correct function, then the electro part would not work either. These mechs are notorious for sticking, due to hardened grease, which means the contacts do not close as they should. The tube on the side has an end of stroke switch, which if not operated will cause the rest of the mech to be inoperative. Concentrate on the mechanics and hopefully the electrics will fall into place.

barnzy11

Postby barnzy11 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:39 am

Right, I'll be sure to check all that over, can the mechanics be sprayed with a light oil? Like maybe the brand 3in1? What seems to be making the penny stick is a magnet in the gold mechanism, it rolls through to where that small silver square Is in the middle then just magnets to it and won't go any further? Does that magnet need to be disabled somehow?