Printing a backflash

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
scottie

Printing a backflash

Post by scottie »

Hello everyone
I need advice from anyone who may have already done this
I'm working on a deal right now and if I get the machine, I will need to replace the backflash.
There is a picture of one in the Resources section and my question is - how do I get it blown up and printed on the right material?
Can I have a printing shop do that?
Can a printing shop just blow it up to fit?
What material should it be printed on?
Any advice would be great.
Thank you
Scottie
john t peterson

Re: Printing a backflash

Post by john t peterson »

I do not know the answer to any of your queries, Scottie, but I know who does, the sensei of all things allwin: Gameswat. Enlighten us, O-Master. !WORSHIPFULL!

J Peterson
American Grasshopper
scottie

Post by scottie »

Thanks John....
I guess ill just hang in there till gameswat shows up ....
I did replace a backflash on a Win-a-spangles years ago but i bought it from a guy in the U.K. so it was allready to install....
Scottie
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

You can print and laminate on photo paper or if you want a better job you can get it printed by a printing firm onto vinyl and laminated and stuck onto thin plastic which gives it a kind of original feel.
scottie

Post by scottie »

Thanks widget
How do they blow the picture up to the right size.....
I have a picture of what I want but I guess I'm asking how does it get from my tablet to the print shop and then to the right size?
The place I went to last week just print on paper (a store called Staples).
I had them copy a top flash I had and they printed it on paper and then laminated it..
Scottie
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Which machine/image is it?
The easiest way is from a desktop computer, because getting the image from an ipad to the print machine can be a bit involved.
If you don't have a desktop, I imagine the print shop will have, in which case, you could ask them to download the image. You may have to show them the Copyleft declaration at the foot of this page to assure them you have the right to copy: https://pennymachines.co.uk/Introduction.shtml

If, for example, you have a Win A Gift, you would navigate here and click on the image for the full sized version. On Windows, you would then right click inside the larger image and select "Save Image As" to download the file to a memory stick or similar to transfer it to the printer.
You also need to measure your original flash and get them to downscale/upscale it to the correct dimensions.
scottie

Post by scottie »

Hi Pennymachines
It's for an allwin called Jackpot.
Am I correct in saying that the pictures in the Resources section are the correct size when viewed on a desktop?
I am not much of a computer type person so this is a learning curve for me.
Thank you
Scottie
scottie

Post by scottie »

I have just been looking around on the internet to see what's out there.
Would printing on Coroplast be okay?
It's like a plastic ....cardboard used for signs.
Scottie
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Coroplast won't work as it's far too thick. The original plastic sheet is about 1mm. Plus the Coroplast isn't smooth to the surface but slightly rippled due to the inner ribbed structure. Just print on high quality thick paper stock and have the finished print clear laminated with the thickest type offered. This will closely replicate the effect of reverse silk screened art onto the plastic sheet as original. The free artwork on Penny Machines is usually about the right size, but not always as the original a plastic that was copied was probably shrunken as they all have over time, some more than others. So I always calibrate the size from known points on my playfield and enlarge or stretch one way or the other accordingly. Have just done this with the Kit Kat artwork which had to be enlarged about 5% so it fit my playfield correctly. Always worth doing a test print in black to check for correct fit first when you start out.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Scottie wrote:Am I correct in saying that the pictures in the Resources section are the correct size when view on a desk top ?
If it's the OW Jackpot - no. Looks like it will need some enlargement. As I say, they can scale to fit once you know the correct dimensions.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

!WORSHIPFULL! Welcome back, Master. !WORSHIPFULL!

Grasshopper JP
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

When I got my backflash printed for the Conveyor (see A Conveyor for Christmas in Build a Slot Machine)
I downloaded the picture from Resources onto a memory stick and took the stick to my local 'one man band' print shop with the finished sizes that I required and he downloaded the stick into his computer, set the sizes and printed the photo off on A2 glossy paper. He then guillotined off the surplice white paper and laminated the print with the best quality laminate. As with all laminated prints the finished size of the laminate is slightly larger than the print.

I thought the chap made a brilliant job, no fuss no bother, just perfect.

A word of advice here. If you do go for the laminated photo ensure that it remains perfectly flat and don't whatever you do try to roll it up or bend it as the laminate will pull away from the photo. Also when cutting the ball holes cut through from the FRONT and support it well at the back; the knife will push the laminate off the photo as it breaks through if you cut from the back.

The backboard on the Conveyor is steel so I placed the laminate onto the backboard and marked the screw holes. I then punched out the screw holes with a paper punch and assembled the door frame, less glass, to hold it all in place. I then cut through from the front using the hole as a guide and cutting support; it worked perfectly, I'm pleased to say.

Hope this helps John
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

I've done a few for people Scottie in the UK. I use an Epson wide format printer and print on a good quality matte photo paper ( 230gsm ) and then laminate both sides to make it more stable. They seen to be wearing well in use. You just need to take a few reference dimensions from your original to help the printer scale it up to the right size. Shame you aren't closer or I would have offered to help out! Jim
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Yes I also purchased a high end Epson A3+ size photo printer years ago for this and other machine art. The factory inks are expensive but don't fade which is obviously important as you don't want to be re-doing this every 5 years! Make sure to ask for this when you visit your local printer. Or I guess they probably make UV resistant laminate? And the bonus with laminating is the backside is also protected from rubbing and staining. I don't worry about cutting off the outer laminated edge as there's little chance of it getting wet once back inside the machine. I use a small Dremel style sanding wheel to get nice round holes for the ball entry/exit holes ect, these are slightly smaller than the hole you need.
andyb53

Post by andyb53 »

Well for a change I CAN HELP OTHERS!!

With my friend in the Netherlands I can truly re-create ANY backglass for ANY machine up to Pinball machine size. These are not Gaudy copies printed on perspex but are as good as the originals If anyone is interested I can email them some before and after pictures (email address at bottom of this reply. but it is..... a.v.backhouse@btinternet.com

I restore to concurs condition amusement machines and learnt how to recreate backglasses a while ago now.
I can even reproduce ones with mirrored edging etc Even if the glass is broken or has bits missing is not a problem!
Basically I have a contact in the Netherlands Coos Hakvoort His email is.... ballybingo@live.nl

This is the process...

1) The old Glass needs to be scanned in as Higher resolution as is possible. It can be scanned in sections as I can seamlessly join the bits together Scan as much as possible (including the back of the glass) Save as a jpeg or bmp or photoshop file.

2) Send it to me. I will assess how long it will take and get back to you. Normally a full high resolution recreation will take around 50~100hrs to complete. (I would make a small charge, no more than £30 ~ 50 to do this) or if you are proficient with Photoshop or Paintshop Pro you can do it yourself! Both sides need to be done to allow the "light mask" to be added if needed.

3) Once done and after contacting Coos (a great very helpful and friendly guy), Emil him the file and he will get it printed on either Perspex (not the best), Toughened Glass (Better) or a Plastic film (best) The film is easily attached to a sheet of glass of your choice and the finished result is truly remarkable (I really does look like a brand new original. The printing costs depends on the size and complexity (mirror effect etc)

Quite literally any glass can be re-created provided it does not look like a smashed car windscreen (Triplex glass)

I hope this help everyone. My email again is..... a.v.backhouse@btinternet.com
scottie

Post by scottie »

Hi
First of all i want to say a BIG THANK-YOU to everyone. You guys really do make this the best web site by far !!

I was looking at the backflash I need on this site ( O.W. JACKPOT) on my laptop at home and the picture was bigger, which means I would take the picture from that and put it on a stick .....instead of off my tablet, if that makes any sense... I also stopped by a store that does copying....not printing....and they told me to put all the information on their website and then I can come in and pick it up...mmmm.....
I think I will track down a small print shop that will take the time and work with me...

Once again thank you everyone for all the great advice...now I hope this deal will go smoothly and I get the machine.

Scottie
scottie

Post by scottie »

Just to change the subject a bit....
I just got pictures of the machine (O.W. JACKPOT )
It looks like the jackpot is fake... hard to tell from the picture but it looks like you can put a stack of pennies in the little box behind the window and they would just stay there..... Am I missing something...?
How does one get the pennies in the jackpot?
I'll try and post the picture....
Scottie
Attachments
IMAG0230.jpg
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

The jackpot is fake, it's to make the player think they are going to win what's in the window, it will actually pay it by the payout slides and leaves the coins in the jackpot window, another thing to remember is to cut that square out the backflash before you laminate it
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Yes, as Widget says, it's just a fake on these.
The Philip Shefras Jackpot and the Morris Shefras Payola also pay from the hopper but create an illusion of paying from the jackpot (i.e. it swings aside when you turn the handle).
scottie

Post by scottie »

Ahhhhhh good to know.....so they just get a extra turn of the knob
So cut out the window of the blackflash before getting it laminated
Wow lots to do....
Scottie