Somebody knows... Maybe you?
nvmos2

Official Historian?

Postby nvmos2 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:50 am

I've noticed that Freddy Bailey claims the title of Official UK Coin Machine Historian or something like that.
On the other hand, the jacket of Automatic pleasures states that Nic Costa is "the leading UK authority on the history of the coin-op genre...."
Who decides and is it a rotating title?
Or is there even such a thing as an "Official" coin machine historian in the UK?

Seems like a good idea and would help to promote the hobby if someone were recognized as such by a government decree.

aristomatic

Re: Official Historian?

Postby aristomatic » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:25 am

Now then this may get interesting............... Maybe not as much as the other thread though.

GP

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:54 am

I do not know either gentleman personally and have seen their publications in the past and am sure both are authorities in their own right. It would be great for a few more knowledgeable people to come forward and put pen to paper, like slotalot is trying to....

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:08 am

I'm recognised as "**** in my life"
.... ask any of my 3 ex wives or 3 live in partners (so far) :tarah:

PS - What other thread?
PPS - When I saw the title of this thread I thought it might be about recognising Slotalot.

aristomatic

Postby aristomatic » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:11 am

badpenny wrote: PS - What other thread?
http://www.coinopcollectorforum.com/vie ... 9&start=15

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:13 am

aristomatic wrote:Now then this may get interesting............... Maybe not as much as the other thread though.
Haha, thanks for the link. You obviously think more of us visit that other site than really do, because I was also wondering what the hell you were talking about?!

john t peterson

Postby john t peterson » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:38 am

I hereby claim the title: "Unofficial UK Coin Machine Hysterical." All rights and privileges apply.

J Peterson
American by birth, hysterical by hobby

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:07 pm

It is a shame Freddy does not use this forum much, I think I have seen one or two posts in the past. Also reading that thread about getting rid of all his paperwork, it would be great if it had the chance to end up where UK related stuff goes to someone willing to share for all.

I suspect one of the biggest issues with a lot of us collectors is although we may help on occasion things like history, paperwork etc. we often see it as our information and value it as such. Perhaps this is why so much that probably exists with the long term collectors does not end up in the public domain. I can understand, as at the end of the day there is a monetary value to this others would pay for.....Ho hum..... :!?!:

nvmos2

Postby nvmos2 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:28 pm

Good morning;

Yes; my question was motivated by the”other thread” on the US forum.
Apparently, I offended Freddy by questioning his credentials (which I don’t think I did and certainly I didn’t intend to do).
He was so unusually defensive that it made me wonder if the title of Official Coin Op Historian for the UK was a real government established position with responsibilities,
or perhaps it’s an honorary title, or perhaps it’s just something that you on this forum call him.
If it’s not a real government position, it’s a good idea and it should be one.
In the US, we have the Library of Congress and the Smithsonian and I think that they may have designated experts in various fields of expertise.
We have several guys in the US who could fill such a position (as I’m sure you do in the UK) if we could get them to designate a coin machine category (if it’s not already existing).
That type of exposure could only be good for the hobby and may even generate some fresh interest in coin machines.

nvmos2

Postby nvmos2 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:30 pm

treefrog wrote:It is a shame Freddy does not use this forum much, I think I have seen one or two posts in the past. Also reading that thread about getting rid of all his paperwork, it would be great if it had the chance to end up where UK related stuff goes to someone willing to share for all.

I suspect one of the biggest issues with a lot of us collectors is although we may help on occasion things like history, paperwork etc. we often see it as our information and value it as such. Perhaps this is why so much that probably exists with the long term collectors does not end up in the public domain. I can understand, as at the end of the day there is a monetary value to this others would pay for.....Ho hum..... :!?!:
Good point;
When Dick Bueschel passed away, it's my understanding that he left a wealth of reference material.
I think it was split up among 3 collectors, but as far as I know, nothing has been done with it.
I hope it's not lost forever.