Slot repairs in the Southwest anyone?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
sarg

Slot repairs in the Southwest anyone?

Post by sarg »

Hi guys, anyone know of a slot machine repair in the south west?

My Mills High Top escalator is playing up - coins keep jamming up and I'm lost. I've tried & tried and can't sort it.

Any help would be much appreciated.
dirk55

Re: slot repairs in the southwest anyone

Post by dirk55 »

Hi sarg
I have just started collecting hi tops and i have 2 at the moment. So i am just a novice. It does get frustrating when things go wrong.There are a lot of people on this forum with lots of knowledge on these machines.The best advise a novice can give you is post photos. You will get replies.Also there's a video on you tube of an escalator strip down and clean . One of my hi tops had coins jamming in the escalator and it turned out to be the coin detecter rod ( i think thats what its called ) that needed adjusting . Like i said its frustrating :dammit: but you get satisfaction when you can sort it yourself.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Dirk is spot on.
First we need to know if it's an original Mills/Sega escalator or a Shefras After Market version.

Then give us a list of everything you've tried, and anything you've altered.

Plenty of photos and we'll soon get it up and working.

BP
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

where in the south are you, if you can get it to me Ill take a look, !THUMBS!
sarg

Post by sarg »

OK guys I've watched the YouTube video but still not getting anywhere, I will get some pictures up and will try uploading a video.
sarg

Post by sarg »

coppinpr wrote:where in the south are you, if you can get it to me Ill take a look, !THUMBS!
I'm in Exeter but willing to travel
coppinpr

Re: Slot repairs in the Southwest anyone?

Post by coppinpr »

if you get it to southampton my daughter lives there and will pass to me or you can send it to me (£3.60 each way using Hermes) but lets see photos first
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

coppinpr wrote:£3.60 each way using Hermes
That sounds cheap :o Presumably you have to package it up?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Good strewth'ness Paul that's only £3-12-0d Do you use a Foden Steam Lorry driven by a fat old bloke with a greasy flat cap?
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

im guessing paul means just the escalator :lol: not the whole machine for that price
sarg

Post by sarg »

no problem I will take some pictures tomorrow
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Oh arr! :woops:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

those of us south of the Thames assume the obvious, my mistake, I should have made it clearer for those in the northern provinces :lol:

The question was
My Mills High Top escalator is playing up
not "my Mills hi-top is playing up"therefore my answer was correct !SMARTY!
sarg

Post by sarg »

pictures I promised !THUMBS!
Attachments
20161111_162816.jpg~original.jpg
20161111_162808.jpg~original.jpg
20161111_162801.jpg~original.jpg
20161111_162739.jpg~original.jpg
20161111_162657.jpg~original.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I can't see anything obvious apart from lots of dirt and perhaps heavy scratching. Some of the parts look like they are not factory parts(?)

If you want to send to me I'll dismantle and service, see if anything is worn so much it's causing a problem. PM me if you want to send, or bring to Coventry and give to me.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Ive finished your escalator,it had a few problems,at least five in fact that might have been contributing to it jamming ,it MIGHT be ok now,difficult to tell without the machine to test on.
1.It was not as dirty as I had hoped,I say hoped because dirt is the easiest problem to fix, Still dirt was playing a part
2.This escalator has been through the ringer in its life,I suspect started life as a 5c then converted to 20p then sort of controverted back to 5c, areas have been cut away or drilled out,small homemade pieces have been added at least 4 screws are missing,and original parts have been replaced with copies,all this doesn't help.
3. two springs were shot
4. there is a lot of wear on the coin travel, this is to be expected but ,of course, also doesn't help (photo2)
5.one of the home made replacement parts was not fitted correctly

The biggest problem seems to have been the part marked "1" in the first photo, it and the one to its left should look like the two below them, all these retain a spring and are designed not to go too far through the frame,the replacement to the left of "1" just about manages to do this where as "1" was in a position to slowly move to far in and obstruct the coins moving past. I have replaced "1" with a bolt that will do the job correctly but replacing with originals is not an option as the holes of the top two have been enlarged at some time to take the replacements.

The spring marked"3" seems a bit of a none event and is intentionally a weak spring but it does an important job pulling the coin detector back out of the coins way once its checked its there.The spring was so weak it didnt pull the detector back at all so I replaced it.

The whole thing still had a half hearted feel to it with none of the usual snap on the return which meant sometimes it unit didnt quite return to its start position,although spring "2" looked ok it wasnt really managing its job so I replaced it(please note the replacement is not the correct spring(I didnt have a spare one),it may last for a long time but I recommend getting a correct replacement.

It all seems to run ok now but remember we like these but operators didnt because they caused problems,always expect a few.
Photo 3 is a total disassemble of the 51 part unit if anyone needs to see for future reference.

Do you want me to send it to you our will you be at Coventry showing your solidarity to the cause on the 27th in which case Ill bring with me,one of the "big three" will show you what corner Im hiding in !!CHEERS!!

esc1.jpg

esc2.jpg

esc3.jpg

sarg

Post by sarg »

thank you Paul for taking the time to help it's very much appreciated, I would of liked to thank you in person but because of work I can't make any auctions. pm sent
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

The value of this Forum never ceases to amaze me - well done Paul, credit to you. !!THUMBSX2!!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

did your escalator arrive ok? is it any better? :!?!:
sarg

Post by sarg »

Hi Paul arrived safe thanks just spent the last couple hours on it still playing up !PUZZLED!

I filled the escalator with coins 1st then played one worked fine but when the cycle finishes and the escalator resets it jerks the coins out of position so still fiddling mate :D