Easy Perm payout

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
brianh

Easy Perm payout

Post by brianh »

Hi Folks - can anyone help me with a problem, the answer to which is probably blindingly obvious but I can't see it! !PUZZLED! I'm in the process of renovating an Easy Perm - work in progress on front, (and thanks to slotalot for use of his pic), but as far as the works are concerned I can't seem to get the payouts to work correctly. Ball drops into the 2, 4 or 6 holes and correctly lodges above, and triggers, the corresponding lever as in pics but then, regardless of whether in 2, 4 or 6, turning the payout knobs send ball down and out for free go and pays out 2 pennies only then ratchet at bottom locks.

I guess it is something to do with the 2 ratchets arrowed but can't figure it out. Or should ball, if in the "6" slot, drop from 6 to 4 to 2, allowing 3 turns of the knob, and payout 2 each turn? Am I missing a spring somewhere ? (or, as my wife suggests, have a screw loose!)
Attachments
allwina.jpg
allwin-arroweda.jpg
P1000961a.jpg
gameswat

Re: Easy Perm payout

Post by gameswat »

Brian, yes, the machine only pays 2 coins at time, so a 6 win means the ball has to drop onto each consecutive lever, but the ball in yours isn't stopping each time. There is a vertical silver bar (red X) that has 3 pins that will stop the ball from dropping to the next lever until you've returned the payout lever to the start position. This bar has two springs, one on each side (#1 & #2), the #1 spring should be weaker than the #2. They appear to be new replacments in your photo so that will be your issue. When the major payout lever moves across it pulls the silver bar and pins with it because the #2 spring is stiffer. The weaker #1 spring is to return the lever and stop it moving after a payout.
Attachments
allwin-arroweda.jpg
JC

Post by JC »

Looking at your picture, everything seems to be in order and complete. However, I see the ball is resting on the top ball lever but hasn't depressed it sufficiently to allow a payout - so that's the first issue to resolve.
What should happen next is as the payout knob is turned, thus pulling the vertical payout arm to one side, the ball will drop but will be held captive by a pin protruding from the smaller vertical bar, which will be pulled over with the main bar. When the payout knob is returned to its normal position, the ball will then drop down to the next ball lever, and so the process will be repeated until the knob has been turned three times.
JC

Post by JC »

Seems Gameswat beat me to it - but you should have enough info now to sort it easily.
These are really quite simple machines.

Jerry
brianh

Post by brianh »

Many thanks Gameswat and Jerry - that's very helpful and confirms what I thought should logically happen but I couldn't see why it didn't. The 2 springs mentioned are ones I, in my ignorance, repaced, as originals were rusted through, so now I know about the strength of the springs it all makes sense. Have a whole box full of different springs to play around with til I get it right! !!THUMBSX2!!

Brian
brianh

Post by brianh »

So easy when you know how! Thanks Gameswat and JC. Working fine now. And all for the sake of a spring and this so helpful forum. !!CHEERS!!
Ref the ball resting on the top lever, I believe the correct size ball for the Easy Perm should be 9/16 but that was tending to stick in the works so I used a half inch one. Maybe the weight of the smaller ball is not enough to trigger the lever every time (only very occasionally fails) so I will see if I can loosen the triggers slightly (WD40?) and if not will investigate where 9/16 ball is sticking.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Brian, you have a grubby machine so all the linkages will need to be removed and cleaned with something like thinners etc to make them as spotless as possible, then they should free up to let the ball do it's job. On top of that I find that due to wear and tear on all those parts I usually need a small drop of light sewing machine oil on the linkages to make them as free as possible.
brianh

Post by brianh »

Thanks Gameswat, will do.
Brian
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

.....and you are correct in thinking that the ball size is 9/16 inch.
brianh

Post by brianh »

Thanks 13rebel - will give the machine a thorough clean up as Gameswat says, and that should solve the "sticking ball" problem.