BDR 'Breadbin' bandit

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
bod

Re: Anyone with a BDR Bristol?

Post by bod »

Oooh Ta! I think that bracket might be about my level of ability - only one bend in it.
Where is your sense of adventure Raj? I bet you must have lots of stuff you don't know that you haven't got?
coppinpr

BDR 'Breadbin' bandit

Post by coppinpr »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

machine.jpg

mech.jpg

I'm very pleased with my nice new shiny (and I do mean shiny) BDR stainless steel bread bin I bought at Coventry, the first I've ever had...which is the problem. I've never seen inside one before!

This machine will not payout. I never buy machines at auction and expect them to be perfect so I'm not bothered by this. If the seller is on here, it would help me to know if this was a long standing problem of something that transport to and from the auction has caused. It FEELS like a coin jam but when I opened the case I was confronted with what looks like the power plant for a tardis!!

So I need help to sort it please. When a winner comes up there is a heavy sounding "clunk" as if it's trying to pay... but no coins. Having never seen one before I'm learning as I go, which isn't easy. I can see there is a separate fan that controls the payouts only. This seems to drive a cut out wheel (A) which skims coins off the bottom of the payout tube. This wheel is not moving at all, and I can't move it by hand. The connection boss (B) is moving but I don't know if it should connect to the cut out wheel or just move above it? The wheel seems solid and can't be moved in any direction.

It seems the large geared shafts (C) should move towards the front of the machine during payout to different points depending on the size of the payout. These only move a short distance at the moment then stop. On a jackpot payout these should move all the way forward and trip the JP coin container which is not related to the normal payouts. The shafts, of course, do not get that far as it is now. All this makes me think there is a coin jammed in the cutout wheel stopping the process from completing but I'm only guessing and don't want or know how to attack this even if it is the case until I'm sure, so any and all help appreciated.
Attachments
top a11.jpg
top side 1.jpg
side mech.jpg
widget2k4

Re: BDR payout help please

Post by widget2k4 »

Now that's one complicated mech and I thought the Columbia mech was complicated,
Still would love to strip one. :)
slotey

Post by slotey »

Have you tried to see if it pays out without any coins in? If it will, you may find the vendor took the coin tube out to empty the coin tube and not replaced it correctly. The height of the tube is very important. If not set right it will allow the next coin to seat wonky and wedge at a slight angle and jam the payout disc. I had a similar problem but mine was on 3D - a thicker coin. If yours is a 6d one worth a look.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Good point "slotey" and welcome to the gang!
I too suspect it's been on its side or an angle which has enticed a coin or three to leave the perpendicular.

Once set up these run for ever and a day. We use the expression "Bomb Proof" when describing Aristocrats and Jubilees, these mechs plus cockroaches are all that will be left after a nuclear war. :cool:

BP
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Well, as usual this forum (and of course Slotey) have saved the day already, albeit a little indirectly. I set about removing the coin tube to see if there was a jam and without even emptying it it paid out as soon as it was lifted a fraction. Who would have thought that the height of the coin tube was critical to not only the machine paying out but the amounts as well? :o . This seems so useful I've put the fix on here:

Part (II) which appears on both photos was the key. Photo 1 shows the part before I did anything to it. As you can see the hole (A) has been enlarged at some time (possibly through wear on the low side). This has allowed the tube to sit too low as a pin on the coin tube (I) fits into this hole. As it stood the coin tube would not fit into the hole and be high enough to pay out even when the adjustment nuts (III) were wound in, so I enlarged the hole just a fraction which allowed the nuts to lift the tube just a fraction more and job done. The hand operated lever (IIII) attached to (II) allows the lifting and lowering of the coin tube by hand (I do not know why, perhaps this was a common problem sorted by the operator activating the hand lever). The nuts (III) are used to adjust the max/min height of the tube (providing the hole in (II) has enough play in it).

fix1.jpg

fix 2.jpg

I tend to like unusual machines and this one is fast becoming a favorite of mine. I love the long deliberate process of paying out, plus the clever jackpot unit that even has a reserve JP on top! It doesn't really need the union jack on the side - it shouts "British made" right at you. /\UK/\
Thanks again to Slotey !THUMBS!
polaris

Post by polaris »

Congrats on your purchase coppin. It’s funny having spoken with you about this while you were looking at it still never realised till I got home who you were. :) I love mine - they're a fantastic bit of engineering. Not sure about your Clubmaster though - think best one came home with me. :D
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I beg to disagree, bet you wish you had those original locks... or any locks at all. !!YABBADABBA!!
:cool:
polaris

Post by polaris »

Lol thankfully have a lock. Now if I could only find a cashbox. :)
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I've had several Clubmasters but only two of them had the cashbox.
I still have one of them and often think about trying to replicate it.

It is heavy gauge sheet and has a complicated locking system in the lid that opens a door in line with the coin overflow and closes it when you remove it from the machine.

Perhaps one day.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I don’t recall either of the Clubmaster at Coventry having original locks, but I only glanced. They should be Lockwood, Australian made.

Edited due to over bragging conditions mentioned on rule 239a of the forum policy !MONKEY!
Last edited by treefrog on Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

Maybe everyone at Coventry should have worn name tags with their nom de plume.
polaris

Post by polaris »

Nice machine treefrog think would be my favourite too :) am I right in thinking these were made in a burgundy colour also ? Would be nice to have all three. BP even a pic of said cashbox would suffice for now lol I had one of these a while back which I got rid of as it had fruit reel strips which I’m told were not original to machine can’t remember that having a cashbox either.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Tom, I'm not sure everybody knows you have probably the only Clubmaster with webbing on the reel window, Perhaps you should diary it so you could remind us all monthly Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrghhhhhh!!!!!

Also don't forget the Coronet, that's been ignored now for a few months!

BP ;-)
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Mmm, thanks, will take note.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

polaris wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:22 pm Nice machine treefrog think would be my favourite too :) am I right in thinking these were made in a burgundy colour also ? Would be nice to have all three. BP even a pic of said cashbox would suffice for now lol I had one of these a while back which I got rid of as it had fruit reel strips which I’m told were not original to machine can’t remember that having a cashbox either.
Sadly there are a few showing fruits which of course are Arcadian mechs. You also need to check those with cards in case it's a Sheerline mech. You'll know by the coin entry neck, it should stay attached to the mech when you remove it.
polaris

Post by polaris »

So BP if mech has neck attached which this one does it’s not original? It matters not for the time being happy with this for now but the goal being to have original in good order with proper locks :) and cashbox. It’s all very confusing not being clued up on aristocrats always liked the look of this machine though
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I think BP is saying the correct mech has the coin entry attached :!?!:
Maybe everyone at Coventry should have worn name tags with their nom de plume.
This is something I put forward some years ago for all those who wanted it (seems this year it would have been handy). Didn't happen though - it would have meant change and change is not allowed. :tut

Is this the longest thread we have ever had? .......Bristol to NSW via Coventry (10,384 miles) :lol:
geordy55

BDR Breadbin

Post by geordy55 »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Ok, you knowledgeable people. I’ve picked up this BDR breadbin and can not fathom how to remove the casing to get to the mech. I’ve been told that a screw holds the handle in place and once this is removed then I should be able to lift the case off.
However this machine doesn’t have any screw on the handle, it does appear to have a split pin/cotter pin internally. Is this what holds the handle in place ?
Any advice on how to open this up would be appreciated.
Attachments
C2A24CCB-BF29-4742-A30C-B807A163F88a.jpg
2805A0C3-A933-4354-9EDF-5D09ACB63FBa.jpg
treefrog

Re: BDR Breadbin

Post by treefrog »

From memory there is a hex bolt on the outside in the middle of the handle and a few latches inside on the base that spring back to release the hood, but it's a while since I looked at mine so memory may have lapsed.