Bryans Double Decker

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
junior

Bryans Double Decker

Post by junior »

I have seen a few Double Decker pushers, none seem to have the same buses in them. What was the advert on the side of the bus when sold by Bryans? And was there a green bus and a red bus originally in these machines? Maybe, depending on year, the advert changed.
treefrog

Re: Bryans double decker

Post by treefrog »

Would it not be whatever matchbox left on the model out of the box? !PUZZLED! What is odd is you often see the pushers with later buses that were not around at the time. Also surely they should be set in opposite directions, again often not left like that. I also thought it had been mentioned they had brass wheels to last better, but never seen ones with brass.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Bryans buff, Melvyn Wright, shows the various types of Lesney "Matchbox" buses used (including the brass wheels) on his Double Decker page.

First there was the No. 5 red Routemaster with BP Visco-Static advert:

Routmaster.jpg

Then the No. 74 green Daimler with Esso Extra Petrol advert:

Daimler.jpg

And some have the No. 74 Superfast red Daimler with the same advert:

Superfast.jpg

They should travel in opposite directions. There are end stop adjustments on the two tracks so the buses just reach the ends without hitting them (rarely set correctly). To quote from my piece on mini pushers:
The Lesney "Matchbox" red Routemaster or green Daimler double decker buses which ran on tilting tracks to create the eye-catching theme of the game, clocked up hundreds of miles, before the "Superfast" friction free Londoner buses came into service in 1972.
As TF says, they were sold with whatever Matchbox buses were available at the time (bought in bulk). Jim Bryan still had a stash of boxed green Daimlers in the 1990s (I bought two). I guess operators may have replaced clapped out older buses with the 'friction-free' Superfasts.
Attachments
Double Decker in last Sunday's sale
Double Decker in last Sunday's sale
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Interesting, first time I have seen a Bryans Double Decker with brass wheels on the buses. A very tidy machine popped up today on a buy it now on eBay for £1600, which seemed not too bad based on condition. I could not risk it as the seller never added any info, like working state and condition, plus I am broke. Still looked like a nice buy !!THUMBSX2!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Decke ... true&rt=nc
Attachments
06074007-2217-49DB-B0D0-F80AA3B6ABBA.jpeg
229E2BDD-F3B9-48EC-8B86-3BF5F49FC4BE.jpeg
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

The colours of the front and cash drawer look very new, so may have been repainted, and the Double Decker and Win transfers look very good condition for their age. I have never seen one with yellow formica on the coin tables, I have only ever seen orange ones. :!?!:
On Melvyns website, there is mention of a bus with brass wheels added by Bryans, but I don`t know where that info came from.
They are great machines and very popular with visitors.
cait001

Post by cait001 »

this is such a cool machine, probably my favourite electro-mechanical pusher I've encountered.
I saw one recently in North America for $3500 USD.

here is a random gameplay video from 2014 I found
cait001

Re: Bryans Double Decker

Post by cait001 »

does anyone know the measurements of a Double Decker?
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

See the Double Decker flyer in resources.
cait001

Post by cait001 »

bryans fan wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:32 pm See the Double Decker flyer in resources.
Thanks! Officially adding it to my wishlist, alongside the mini falls style machines.
I only want one pusher, so I'll have to see which one can come up first.

Please consider me as the next quality home for your lovely British two-level pushers ;)
slcjeeper

Post by slcjeeper »

cait001 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:45 pm this is such a cool machine, probably my favourite electro-mechanical pusher I've encountered.
I saw one recently in North America for $3500 USD.
Where did you find the machine for sale in North America? Is it still available?
cait001

Post by cait001 »

ha if you want to pay $3500 USD for one send me your email. That's the equivalent of 2660 UKP right now.
slcjeeper

Post by slcjeeper »

cait001 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:59 pm ha if you want to pay $3500 USD for one send me your email. That's the equivalent of 2660 UKP right now.
Not an easy game to find in the US. Do I want to spend $3500? Not really. I found one for sale for quite a bit more. I’m still interested in where you saw the machine for $3500 US.