Calling Bryans Forks Experts!

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
pauljt71

Calling Bryans Forks Experts!

Post by pauljt71 »

Hi friends,

I have recently added this beautiful Bryans Forks to my collection. I have some questions....

Firstly, the number on the cabinet, which matches the chrome and cash box is 4259. It was supplied in June 1972. Here is the strange bit..... the machine is still on old penny....

Does this mean..

1) it was old stock?
2) the first customer requested it on old penny?
3) it should be on new penny, based on its number
Or
4) it’s one of the last old penny ones produces?

If you have one of these machines, what’s your cabinet number please?

Also I know all the adjustable payout parts have red paint on. There is a strange red rivet on the door lock assembly, any idea why this is red?

Does anyone have a copy of the original instructions, marketing info etc they could post on here?

Many thanks,

Here are some pictures 😀 it’s a streamline cabinet, looking for more machines like this to match now but that’s another post 😉
Attachments
A1AA4528-1471-4DCD-A8BD-0D86B33AA402.jpeg
C6E84FCB-32A0-4988-9E79-DD99EB616A1Aa.jpg
16D3EFC2-80CB-40C4-B738-D23440D278F6a.jpg
16D3EFC2-80CB-40C4-B738-D23440D278F6a.jpg (20.57 KiB) Viewed 2120 times
1ACB97DA-1742-431D-ADA3-34A6F82D93D0a.jpg
C8AC3F14-9AB0-4F9B-8CD3-D7C53CCF92A8a.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Calling Bryans Forks Experts!

Post by pennymachines »

Could the red on the lock assembly just be a remnant of wet paint blobbed on to detect where the latch meets the strike plate?

How did you get the 1972 date? Was it written inside? A few arcades continued on the old penny for years after decimalization, but it seems odd to be ordering new machines on old coinage at that stage. Collector/dealer Roger Gillman commissioned a bunch Bryans machines on the old penny from Jim Bryan, but I think that was over a decade later. Mostly these were sold direct to collectors, but some ended up in vintage arcades.
pauljt71

Post by pauljt71 »

I got the supply date from a very helpful guy that checked the number against Bryans records.

The red paint does look like a deliberate carefully painted rivet but I don’t know enough about this machine to guess why. It does cause a problem if the forks mech is too far one way as it bangs against the door when you try and shut it.

I have tried to check the history on this and believe it came from a guy called “Charlie” when he sold up several years ago. A well known collector who liked meticulous restoring. Any help on this appreciated 😀
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Lovely looking machine Paul.

I'd also suggest that more than a few of them may well have been supplied in pre-decimal, then be converted to decimal, and ended up in the hands of a collector or vintage arcade operator who wanted it back on old penny.
I for one have put several allwins and bandits back on real money including probably half a dozen Bryans.

BP :cool:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I heard if Charlie's machine, he had them revamped and changed by Bryans factory with all new bits, so probably back to 1D. I may be wrong, but sure verbally this was mentioned to me at the Coventry auction they all sold at or on here. Also all the cabinets bolts were painted on request for some reason.
pauljt71

Post by pauljt71 »

This all sounds very interesting. All the bolts are indeed painted gloss black. If you have any more information on this that would be great.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I don’t mate, other than I know he wanted his machines to look mint, and they did. I bought one and still have it and happy, not a Allwin mind. I am sure all the streamlined cases were new from memory, but maybe someone will correct me.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Seems it was probably converted from 1p to 1D then. New cases and top castings were used to convert non-streamlines to streamlines. I think the original spec for the coach bolts was chrome.

Charlie may view this site once in a while, so maybe we'll get the full story. |/XX\|
pauljt71

Post by pauljt71 »

It could be converted which would explain the 1972 date. The numbers on the case and the chromework though do correlate to it being originally a streamlined set of forks.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

I wondered if this was a machine formally owned by Charlie, I saw his collection a few years ago before he sold them all and what a sight it was. All of the streamline cased allwins were screwed to his lounge wall in two neat rows and looked great. He also showed me many original invoices he received from Jim Bryan about 20 years ago regarding the refurbishment of these machines.
If I recall correctly, Charlie had a complete set of all Bryans machines - except the Bumper.
pauljt71

Post by pauljt71 »

arrgee wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:10 pm I wondered if this was a machine formally owned by Charlie, I saw his collection a few years ago before he sold them all and what a sight it was. All of the streamline cased allwins were screwed to his lounge wall in two neat rows and looked great. He also showed me many original invoices he received from Jim Bryan about 20 years ago regarding the refurbishment of these machines.
If I recall correctly, Charlie had a complete set of all Bryans machines - except the Bumper.
Yes this sounds right, the guy I acquired this from said it was part of a large collection owned by Charlie and sold at auction.