Personal Emails

Comment on this site; suggest improvements; be firm but polite.
treefrog

Personal Emails

Post by treefrog »

Mr PM, I am sure I had mentioned it before but not sure if others get it, but about 20% of personal messages on the forum actually do not turn up not in the site message system, but come direct form the sender appearing to be Pennymachines, but when I respond the reply address if their personal address. Not sure it should happen, but I don't mind people emailing direct as the email address I use on here is the same as my ID. Thought you ought to know,

Treefrog
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Personal Emails

Post by pennymachines »

Sorry treefrog - I read that twice but still couldn' t quite grasp exactly what you were saying.
My brain's frazzled from fighting off and trying to build countermeasures against Russian Spammers all day. :~:

I am aware that there's an ongoing issue with the Forum-generated emails that needs tackling. Can you break it down into little sentences for me? !PRAY!!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I sometimes get private messages that do not appear in the site based Private Messages box above. Instead they appear in my actual email mailbox directly, but appear as if they are sent from forum@pennymachines.....when I open I can see the actual message and can reply directly, without using the site. Is that clear :~:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Ah OK - gotcha!

That's how it should work. When a member wants to send you a message, they can do it either by sending you a pm (in which case the message appears in your pm box and you get email notification that you have a new pm) or they type their message into a form which is sent via the Forum to your email account (and does not appear in your pm box).

By opting to pm, you don't reveal your email address to the recipient. By opting to email via the Forum, you do. Nevertheless, only the person you chose to email gets your email address. It remains invisible to other Forum visitors and members.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well blow me down, only been on here for 8 years and just realised that, great, that deals with the mailbox limit :D