Homemade Penny Pusher

Building a slot machine from scratch? You're not alone in your madness.
pennypushers2

Homemade Penny Pusher

Post by pennypushers2 »

I'm 13 and currently building a home-made penny pusher out of wood. I have cut the wood and glued some of it but not all of it. It should look like the first video but with only a few decals. The motor is like 1:45 in the second video. It should be black and will eventually have lights and sound. It will sit in my room most of the time, unless needed elsewhere. It will be for 1p coins and may have a lit up marquee if I can find parts. It will be about the size of the first video but I will update it a lot at first. I will put pictures and videos on soon.

Thanks Callum.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Coin-pusher
The Grabber

Re: Homemade Penny Pusher

Post by The Grabber »

Hello,
That's a great machine.
Let us all at pennymachines know how you get on with this and maybe other machines you make.
Well done.
Regards the grabber.
pennypushers2

Post by pennypushers2 »

That wasn't my one but I'm putting videos and pictures on soon.
caytonbay

Post by caytonbay »

Liking what I've seen, I was looking at buying a faulty 8 side unit and cutting it down to small units. Has anyone tried this?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Back in the good old bad old days when I was energetic and full of my own confidence.
I took up with wife number three, it was a few years before I realised that she was directly related to Genghis Khan (however Immanuel Kant) and in that time I trustingly turned my back on her to seriously engage in slot collecting.
I had a brick built lock up garage in Derby, in fact I still have, which is a bit of a bugger as my home is in Coventry; and although I now stop over in Derby during the week one of my Harleys lives under a plastic sheet whilst the other resides in a leaky wooden shed.

Anyway whilst I was out playing with the lads and my wife was doing the same, I did a deal with a geezer Darn Sarf for a load of old tat which included a juvenile ride.
Mick Harris and I stole a truck and went to collect these treasures and whilst we were there I was offered an inline 6 bay pusher. It was all there (more than can be said of me at any time in my life) but had clearly seen more robust times. I think I paid about £30 which in hindsight was about £31 too much.

I can only assume that all of the spiders that were resident inside it had been trained to all hold hands for it was quite rigid when we lifted it up into the truck. However a hundred miles later when we landed in Derby we managed to get it half in half out and about 3 feet off the ground when the Formica peeled off and the Weetabix boarding underneath unshredded itself. Even if Mick and I had suddenly grown three extra pairs of hands we'd never have prevented it from parallelogram'ing itself into oblivion.
As we peered at the heap of smashed glass, plastic trim and Drop Forged Papier-mâché I concluded that it was not a total loss as the 6 electric motors and associated linkages were worth more than the thirty of our English pounds that I had parted with.

So in answer to the question regarding the fun and games that may be enjoyed in converting these machines down into more manageable sizes for home use. It is my experience that once the spit and plasticine have dried out they tend to lose most of their integrity when it comes to retaining anything like the shape their makers intended. The mild steel screws rip their way out of the chipboard with an enthusiasm that must be seen to be believed, and the slightest unevenness of floor will encourage all right angles to greedily add oodles of degrees to their vital statistics until a sudden gust of gravity takes over and it all decides to lie down for a rest.

Oh, and by the way, 6 bays does not necessarily mean 6 motors, sometimes it means 1 overstretched, half burnt out bugger that has been running so hot for years that its meager wiring has gone brittle and crumbles to the touch.
A pusher has the ability to steal the last of your pennies even in its death throws.
caytonbay

Post by caytonbay »

I've done it !!THUMBSX2!! I used the motor from a microwave turntable and photos of old bandits for a case design. Thanks to all the info I found here. Most of the bits I used were hanging around; all I needed to buy was the plastic sheeting for the pin-board and the front window and some wood trim. Two slots at top and "payout" tray is only 1/3 so 2/3 fall back into the base of machine. Just needs fine tuning and tarting-up. Will post photos when I find the lead !PUZZLED!
ballymad

Post by ballymad »

Not sure which penny pusher post to post in, but I have always liked these and always wanted to own one, but she who must be obeyed put her foot down and said there's no room!!!
So I recently bought this one from ebay.
When I turned up to collect, I was unsure, but I got it home, put it on the wall and the grandson loves it!!!
This is side operating, the dimensions are ideal, probably no bigger than one of them wall mounted flicker things :lol:
This is a home made pusher, nice, but could do with 1 or 2 tweaks cosmetic wise but, if you're thinking of building one, a great idea and saves on space.
Attachments
penny pusher.JPG