If only my shed was bigger

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
stoxman22

If only my shed was bigger

Post by stoxman22 »

I would love this machine that is now on Flea Bay. The mech looks like it would keep you busy right through winter. I have never heard of J.H. Keeney & co. Anyone know of them?

Keeney's Mountain Climber Fruit Machine
Attachments
Mountain Climber.jpg
Mountain Climber mech.jpg
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Re: If only my shed was bigger

Post by coin-op »

They were around for a while. There's a couple of flyers in the Resources section for earlier machines from the company which I posted a while back.

Keeney Red Arrow & Twin Red Arrow flyers
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

J.H. Keeney & Co. were making console machines before the war. During the war, they manufactured electronic military equipment and training devices. This expertise contributed to the great success of Bonus Super Bell launched in 1946. Their 1960 Red Arrow introduced a device developed from early computer readout technology - the Panascope. Consisting of a row of three back-projected flashing symbols, it was designed to wrong-foot the definition of a gaming machine in the Johnson Act as, "Any so-called slot machine or other machine or mechanical device an essential part of which is a drum or reel with insignia thereon, and which then operated may deliver, as a result of the application of an element of chance, any money or property." The ruse worked for several years. The Panascope can be seen on top of the Mountain Climber console.
Richard Bueschel wrote:The Arrival of the uprights and their circuitry-based play features brought something to slot machine play that had not been there before: multiple coin, double-up, hold-and-draw, multiplier, multiple line payoffs and other advanced features were exciting play generating ideas that the mechanical slot machines of the past could never hope to handle.
Lemons, Cherries & Bell-Fruit-Gum.
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

The Mountain Climber is a good machine and probably won't be difficult to fix. They don't often sell for as much as 125 pounds, though, especially not working. Over here, $100 US will buy any Keeney (and sometimes two). If you want it, make him an offer - he's probably not going to get any bids.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Operator Bell wrote: If you want it, make him an offer - he's probably not going to get any bids.
I think you could be right, this is the third time this machine has been put up for sale on ebay by this seller, I was tempted myself as it looks very interesting :cool: but I thought it was a little over priced :tarah:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

The Red Arrows version I posted here in January only made £30 I think, I was tempted as it was near to me, so £125 seems a little high for a non working machine...... As I have said before I am convinced they will be a collectors' item of the future.
Selecta Music
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

The size is a problem for homes with limited space - it's like having another piece of furniture - but they're great fun to play. I have two machines similar to this.
mojacarman

Post by mojacarman »

I have a similar machine - it is a conversion to a machine named "The Harrier" (depicting the jump jet). It was supplied by the Royal Air Forces Association and its last site was the Sergeants' Mess at RAF Sealand on Deeside (now long closed). I worked for Bell Fruit as an engineer and at the time obtained it for £10 from the company when they replaced it with a more modern machine!

I live in Southern Spain and the machine is still working well, on old 5p coin for two plays. It also takes 10p coin and delivers 2x5p coins as change. Jackpot is £5 delivered from a tube payout unit in 50p coin the 5p coins pay from a hopper.

Unfortunately, I have never had the benefit or a circuit diagram but the layout will be very similar to the Mountain Climber which I believe was the donor machine, so if anyone has a diagram please advise!
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

There was one sold only a week ago at the EH for £320 in nice condition and working.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Here it is.
Attachments
Keeney Mountain Climber
Keeney Mountain Climber
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

One and the same machine that sold for 30 quid shown earlier. Woodgrain laminex pattern is identical and there is unique wear to the top horizontal gold bar that sits below the coin entries, far left hand side of it.
Attachments
mountain-climber2.jpg
Mountain Climber.jpg
Mountain Climber.jpg (35.74 KiB) Viewed 1037 times