Coventry Auction - Sunday 27th November 2016

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
polaris

Re: Coventry Auction - Sunday 27th November 2016

Post by polaris »

:HaHa: :HaHa: lmfao waste of an envelope
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Also apparently there will be no bric a brac, just amusement related, fairground and signs...... Going to be challenging for buyers and sellers I suspect, all only 10 miles apart.....
jukeboxjury

Post by jukeboxjury »

It's so sad that there is such animosity and bile shown towards Elephant House and to Steve. At the end of the day he runs a business, and runs it very well, with low fees a friendly and helpful approach to all. His auctions attract a lot of different and interesting people from all walks of life, not just collectors. His regular auctions keeps the interest going with new people appearing all the time, which has got to be good for the true collectors and for those who like to dabble, even dare I say it the dealers.

Yes it is unfortunate that Steve is holding his next auction on the same day as Coventry, I don't believe it is a deliberate attempt to sabotage Coventry's collectors, just unfortunate timing. He has had to forgo the December auction as he is having work carried out to the building, so I suspect the he was left with very few choices.

With Coventry so close it might be an interesting and fun day going to both. Be a bit more positive and give him a break for a change.

Keep on.......collecting!!!!!
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Would common sense say have it the week before??
hiflyer

Post by hiflyer »

Well I, for one, was looking forward to the Coventry auction and now I'm torn. Seems like a deliberate attempt by EH to scupper Coventry which already had its date set. Offering sellers the opportunity to sell at no commission must surely be a draw for them so it does seem a but unfair but I suppose business is business. I agree as a punter it's a toss up between freezing one's knackers off all day or being warm but for me there is another factor. Driving to the EH is so much less stressful than the dreadful Coventry ring road system and its perpetual roadworks and diversions I have had to fight through on previous outings. I will reserve my decision until nearer the date and catalogue contents. Still think it's a shame though. !UNSURE!
polaris

Post by polaris »

Think given that Coventry auction fees for sellers are only 5% I personally think it's not that big a deal. Selling stuff at £300 , £400 , £500 commission is peanuts. Weigh it up with the fact that at EH its possible you won't get paid on the day don't know about anyone else but if I'm taking a machine to auction I want to be leaving with the cash in my pocket
panda999

Post by panda999 »

I know what you mean, nice to sell and get your cash, but if you wait until the auctions over, like Coventry you will get your money, both places it means hanging about but at least at EH you can 'pay, collect and go' before the auction ends if you are only buying.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I don't believe it is a deliberate attempt to sabotage Coventry's collectors, just unfortunate timing.
I really don't see how you can say that !PUZZLED! The Coventry date was known before the Elephant announcement. Everything about this EH date makes no sense unless it's an attempt to kill Coventry. Because he's running a business is irrelevant. As far as a business move it works against him unless Coventry planned to run every month, then you could understand an attempt to undermine the competition. To say he's doing it because he can't run a Dec auction doesn't work either. It's not that long since he only ran every few months. The reason he's having the work done in Dec is because it would be the quietest auction anyway, standing in a fridge two weeks before Xmas is not popular. I personally have nothing against EH but this is clearly pure greed. He wants it all and he's willing for it to cost him money to get it. dirtdog
JC

Post by JC »

BP and I have agreed to stay silent for the time being on this unfortunate situation (and I use the term 'unfortunate' somewhat tongue-in-cheek), but I shall say just this: Coppin is absolutely spot-on; this has nothing to do with 'business' - it is a deliberate act of sabotage, aimed at undermining and presumably eradicating the Coventry Auction.
I don't want to start a debate, so please refrain, but on the 27th Nov. we will have three choices:
1) Support Coventry.
2) Support EH.
3) Stay at home.

If you wish to see Coventry continue and thrive with our annual auctions, then at the risk of stating the obvious, you need to:
1) Enter lots - anything slot related is welcome, but we do of course need good quality machines.
2) Turn up on the day.
3) Buy!

The future of Coventry is in the hands of the vintage coin-op community - it's your auction, we do it for the good of the hobby.

We hope to see you all on the 27th November.

Jerry
mervyngoodhew

Post by mervyngoodhew »

if Hunt can eradicate Coventry teas at his auction will be £2 a cup,and sellers and buyers fees 25% so he can buy another pier I hope his sabotage backfires
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Remember....there is a EH auction every month, there is only one Coventry...support it, you cant get bacon butties like Coventrys at EH and you cant sit in a comfy chair to eat it with a beer in hand and forum members you've never met before to talk to, AND you dont need to dress for the artic !!CATAPULT!! to EH !!
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

You can sign me up for the 27th. ( if the KLM don't strike) the schedule is a bit narrow. !!PLANE!!
jukeboxjury

Post by jukeboxjury »

it is a deliberate act of sabotage, aimed at undermining and presumably eradicating the Coventry Auction.
It's all a dastardly conspiracy, Infamy Infamy they have all got it In For Me. You need to calm down dear it's only a commercial. As usual the same old story about Steve and Elephant House.

As I see it you have four choices.

1. Go to Coventry keep warm and enjoy the day with a sticky beer stained carpet and bitch about Steve and Elephant House.

2. Do all the above and also take a trip to Steve's to see what you can pick up there as well.

3.Go only to Elephant House, have a nice breakfast/lunch and cup of tea in the café round the corner, then put your thermals on for a warm and friendly atmosphere with people who are not bothered about what's happening down the road.

4. Stay at home and do some more bitching and miss out on both auctions.

Perhaps Coventry could wreak revenge and spring a surprise on Steve next year and have it on a different date ("breaking with tradition, that's unthinkable") keeping it secret until after Steve has made his date known.

At the end of the day it is what it is, nothings going to change now. However I'm sure all the moaners who keep slating Steve and Elephant House will be back there for more auctions next year. You know it makes sense.
Keep on.........collecting
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Stuart,

Not convinced about the bitching about Steve, I suspect people are just pissed off... Why should the buyer or seller have to be part of whatever you believe is happening in terms of "it's just business", "it's coincidence" or "just bad timing"? All I can say is it's very annoying as the losers here are the pundits.

I have no loyalty towards any specific auction, but love them all and would have liked to be able to go to both.... Bloody stupid in my mind and all it does is piss people off....

I may well take the number 4 option you mentioned and boycott all of these auctions on-going....

But being a bloody addict, I am sure I will end up doing what everyone else does and watch what happens..

By the way, I believe a little bit of competition is good, so losing Coventry would not be a good thing to all of us. In terms of comparing venues is an old story and both have their advantages and disadvantages.... The important thing is keeping them all going.....
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

Not agreeing or disagreeing with Jukeboxjury but his post gave me a right good laugh!!
Wicked sense of humour you have, very amusing. !!CHEERS!!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

My final post on the subject,
jbox seems to have decided to go to EH (in his options he makes it sound quite cosy...it's not) but he doesn't say why he seems to have picked that option.

I have chosen to go to Coventry and I'll tell you why..... I'll go to Coventry because it's the option that is good for the hobby. I'll go to EH on other dates, no problem, as I said at the start I've nothing against EH auctions but having two auctions on the same day with the possible intent of taking out Coventry in the future can only be bad for the hobby. EH is a business and nothing wrong with that, I run several myself, but Coventry is run by collectors for collectors and is good for the hobby which is what I'm interested in, so I'll support it to the bitter end. (I'll also get a chance to see my dream machine (Buckley Bones) up close. I'm sending 5 items to Coventry ALL of which I could have got more for at the EH.

As to those of us who moan about Steve, the next time you curse when a machine is removed from Ebay that you were interested in, you might like to consider who MIGHT have the time, opportunity and motive to get slots removed from Ebay. After all, whoever it is, and I have no idea who, is damaging the hobby almost certainly for personal financial gain as there is no other reason to do it, which is exactly why Steve is running EH on the same day as Coventry. Have a nice day (preferably at Coventry). :cool:
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Anyone having any issues viewing the catalogue on their mobile device? On the computer it's fine but on mobiles it is only showing one page?
JC

Post by JC »

Try it now.......

The view settings are different for mobile devices - the link to page 2 is one bit I missed. Should be OK now.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Spot on mate !!THUMBSX2!!
jukeboxjury

Post by jukeboxjury »

jbox seems to have decided to go to EH (in his options he makes it sound quite cosy...it's not) but he doesn't say why he seems to have picked that option.
Ohhh Matron! how presumptuous of you to decide which auction I will be going to. Miss Plunket check my itinerary and while your down there!!

I have not decided which auction I am going to attend, if either, it depends on what's on offer. I did attend Coventry last year which was quite an experience. Having a colonoscopy was an experience as well.

I met some of those collectors, collecting for collectors, who were so far up their own fundamentals I nearly called a plumber, Ohhh quick nurse the screens it's happened again.

It's appears quite clear to me that collecting for collectors is a very exclusive club and unless you are a total anorak, furry hood!, furry hood! you are not one of them and you should be looked at as a "Devil in Disguise" sing your heart out Elvis, No 1 1963 not arf!

If my thoughts are correct it wont be Steve and Elephant House..." what's that smell", who kills off Coventry, it will be the collecting for collectors themselves. But as the collecting for collectors are so committed to their Hobby that wont be a problem will it? as they will all be at Coventry, no matter what, so I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

Bored now, and exhausted, must have a quick rubdown with a copy of the sporting life then and a lie-down in a darkened room.

No more! No more! Must see a Doctor.

Ohh...Doctor Nooky what's that suppository doing behind your ear? .....OHH god some bums got my Biro.

Keep on.........Collecting