Somebody knows... Maybe you?
polaris

Jennings prices

Postby polaris » Sun May 12, 2013 7:09 pm

Fairly recent Jennings on ebay sold for £717. Is this a true representation of the prices they can achieve? Got a horrible feeling I just agreed to sell two I have a little cheap?

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: jennings prices

Postby badpenny » Sun May 12, 2013 7:22 pm

I think you've answered your own question there as it did sell for £717. !PUZZLED!

If you'd auctioned them here you'd have let the market dictate the value. You may have gotten less though.
Still as we were saying only a few days ago about selling something. If you say yes to selling then it's because you're happy with the price. :cool:

Plus you're not always comparing apples to apples, there is a need to involve .......
Distance
Model
Completeness Locks keys, cash tin,
Condition of chrome, cabinet, graphics.

BP

treefrog

Re: Jennings prices

Postby treefrog » Sun May 12, 2013 11:05 pm

I have paid from £400 to £700 for all my Jennings Govenors, all working, complete etc, so prices can vary as stated wildley...It take two to want an item to push the price up......

polaris

Postby polaris » Sun May 12, 2013 11:23 pm

Thanks for info and putting my mind at ease. Sold both for £1100, so was quite happy. Think just the realisation that they are gone left me in mourning and now need to replace them.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Mon May 13, 2013 12:44 am

Jennings Governors and Club Chief prices have always been erratic. Once ubiquitous in arcades and clubs, with their iconic Indian head and brash Americana flashiness, they're bound, occasionally, to attract buyers from beyond the slot machine collecting fraternity.

They were selling for £400-700 in the 1980s, so in real terms they've dropped in value...

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Mon May 13, 2013 11:26 am

pennymachines wrote:............ brash Americana flashiness...
Hell's Teeth! Mr P you've just described my dream woman.

halski

Postby halski » Wed May 15, 2013 11:10 am

I have just looked at the one on ebay that sold for that amount. the condition seemed poor esp the chrome, but then again it didn't look that pitted - might it have come up nice with some polish and general cleanup?

I am a complete newbie and just developing an acute enthusiasm for the genre so please excuse my brashness and the untidy link below....

THE GOVERNOR JENNINGS COLLECTABLE AWP Fruit machine classic one arm bandit
tatty-governor.JPG

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Wed May 15, 2013 11:45 am

The chrome on the top casting appears to be rippled and peeling. Once it's started to lift, polishing and cleaning will only reveal more defects. For some reason, the Jennings front and back bonnet are lighter and more porous than the lower casting, which should polish up nicely. It will probably cost between £200-300 to get them re-plated - that's if the buyer can find a plater prepared to tackle the job.

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Wed May 15, 2013 12:35 pm

I have just looked at the one on ebay that sold for that amount.
I believe this one sold for well over the correct price, I bought the exact same machine (same colors,same coinage, 2 pulls per play) but 10 times better condition eight months ago for £500, as PM says, takes two to tango, a thing is only worth what the buyer will pay.

raj

Postby raj » Wed May 15, 2013 12:43 pm

Well done to the seller, he got a premium price for a very ordinary Governor requiring a lot of work. Has it got a back door or back bonnet? Are the sides Formica? Is the base riddled with worm or is it a 'special' straw board version?...who knows. I suspect this will be re-advertised due to non payment once the buyer sobers up.
The 10 coin payout is not a good selling point really and points to other 'improvements' that may have taken place during it's last revamp that are not obvious from the description or photo. All the coach bolts will be rusty and probably seized into the sides.
The bottom casting is made by high pressure die casting, as I understand it, which differs from the process for the other 2 parts, which are made of pot metal. The bottom casting is under tension, and will easily break if dropped or struck hard.
Impurities in the mix combined with temperature changes and the porosity of the plating will cause oxidization of the metal.
Replating may only delay this process for while as yet more impurities from the plating tank become deposited on the base metal. A good polishing company can do a good job with these, and the end result can be maintained quite easily with good quality mirror finish polish ( not Autosolve).
Have fun.. **xXx**