Perhaps a Volvo Pinball?

Enter the Honourable Judge's favourite tavern for a dram of Tittle Tattle. There's an ancient bandit in the corner, but I forget his name...
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Perhaps a Volvo Pinball?

Post by badpenny »

I was contacted by an old friend last week.
I hadn't heard from him in years, we both used to share an interest in canal boats, and then I started collecting slots and he moved onto vintage vehicles and now has a small business selling and repairing anything over 60 years old with wheels.

He wanted me to source him a 1966 Gottlieb Cross Town pinball for him. It was similar in name to his business and he saw it as an attractive addition in his premises/showroom.
His requirements were ....
It must be in perfect working order
Good decoration/paintwork especially the backbox

I asked him what coin it should work on, he answered "Oh that doesn't matter"
He then went on to explain that he would junk the main box after salvaging the reset mechanism. His intention was to convert the top box into a clock using the score drums as a 24 hour clock, he needed the reset mechanism to to turn it from 23.59 to 00.00.
After which he'd be happy to sell me the left over bits.
I thought long and hard about his project and then after about 20 seconds I asked him if he could find me a Showman's Steam Engine, I didn't mind if it was a Fowler or Burrell as it was only for show. It had to be complete but I couldn't be arsed with all that dirty coal stuff and intended fitting a Volvo Truck diesel inside the boiler, what did he reckon?

I don't think he was impressed as I haven't heard back from him. :!?!:
gameswat

Re: Perhaps a Volvo Pinball?

Post by gameswat »

Have had quite a few requests like this myself, the best was over 20 years ago, for a non working but otherwise mint condition 1946/47 model 1015 Wurlitzer jukebox that would have the guts replaced with CD! At that point in time I'd never even seen one in Aust.

Your buddy should check out the link below to the Crow River site for the modules to build a very sophisticated pinball clock. All he really needs is an original or better still repro backglass, lightglobes, a set of reels and a box to mount it all into. http://www.crowriver.com/clock/bowlingqueen.htm
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Hell's Teeth, they're all at it.
I did wonder how he'd come up with the idea as he's not had an original thought in his life.
Seems he still hasn't!

I suppose it's only one up on those who went around in the 70s with a hacksaw lopping off tractor seats. !OMFG!
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Hey Gameswat; I notice that your latest is your 1,000th post.

Haven't you got better things to do?? @&@

J Peterson
Leading by example in America !!YIPPEE!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

John's right, high posting numbers on a forum as obscure as this one point to a pitiful life with few meaningful priorities.

BP :didact:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I have to agree (if only to get my post count up to 3000 for Christmas). !!UHOH!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

.......... just take a couple of hundred of mine Mr P. They're all pretty bland and lightweight.

BP
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

JP quote "Hey Gameswat; I notice that your latest is your 1,000th post.

Haven't you got better things to do?? @&@"

Apparently not! I hadn't even noticed as was too busy padding my numbers with crappy resto tip posts. :NBG: