Matthewson (Automatic Sports Co.) games

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
bob

Re: Matthewson (Automatic Sports Co.) games

Post by bob »

I am glad that my recent contribution to the Forum dealing with the Matthewson machines has proved of interest. I had also intended to mention that there are records of another Matthewson Cricket being operated in Australia. This was in the old Melbourne Aquarium housed in a building that was an annexe to the Royal Melbourne Exhibition building. The Exhibition building is a still existing World Heritage Site listed building dating from the Melbourne 1880/1 World Exhibition. The aquarium housed a whole variety of unusual exhibits other than marine life including “The Cricket Match, ancestor of all pinball machines” so described in a newspaper column which listed a whole series of other novelties including two engines emitting “automatic music” on insertion of a coin. Sadly the aquarium annex building was destroyed by fire in 1952 resulting in the loss of all of these objects including Matthewson’s Cricket Match, although mercifully the seals on exhibit were saved.

It was also not clear from my last contribution that whilst the restoration on the 18 Matthewson shooters was undertaken by Fred Bolland in 1946, not earlier, he had in fact bought out some of the surviving stock of Matthewson’s Automatic Sports Company in the 1920s as reported by Nic Costa. Also Nic was certainly well aware of Rowland, even if he did not write at length about him. Indeed, as he commented in a letter to me in 1986: “almost since the start of my interest in machines (in the early '70s) I’ve only had two names thrown at me by all and sundry - Matthewson and Rowland. According to popular consciousness they made almost all the old machines, and single-handedly pioneered the industry. Nobody else existed!”

Costa was concerned that there were many, many other British inventors and operators of coin operated machines that predated them in shooters, racers and other competitive games that deserved recognition and acknowledgement. I also neglected to mention that a two man Football Game that in a wooden case as shown both in the mechanism and design patents still exists in Australia. This however was not operated in Australia but brought here from England some years ago by a British coin op machine collector.

Due to the interest in the Matthewson and other early machines I hope to make a further contribution here soon. This will deal with the discovery in Adelaide in the early 1970s of the Holden collection of coin op machines and its subsequent dispersal, including their restoration and 2 subsequent auctions. These had belonged to an amusement machine operator and included the Mermaid Yacht Race and most of the other Matthewson cast iron machines that have survived in Australia.
Attachments
Matthewson Mermaid Pritchard and Coad 1976543.jpg
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

I can't wait to read the next instalment of this enthralling story! !THANKS!
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

You go, Bob! Great reading. It's not too late to finish writing that book!! :tarah:

J Peterson
#1 American fan
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

As most of us have found, often cashbox doors go missing on machines once out of operating life - but not so likely with any of the Mermaids. The first time I visited Bob in Melbourne to see his amazing collection his wife Bev thought it was very funny to show me what a great sense of humour Mathewson had. The cashbox key fit into the mermaids belly button and then I had to grab both breasts to lift the torso out!! :o :shock: :burp: :HaHa:
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

I was pleased that posting the photo of the "Castle" shooter prompted others to share photos and information. This jogged my memory of a postcard I had which I had mentioned in the past to Bob as having three mermaids in a row. Having recently discussed and shared this image with another very knowledgeable collector, it was pointed out to me that it was in fact two mermaids and a castle !! Should have gone to specsavers! The date on the bill board was also pointed out to me as being significant as it was 1929. All other postcards I have of Clacton on sea are much earlier and seem to have the same few machines, in different configurations, this is the only later card I have of Clacton with the new central shelters.

Typical view of Clacton
Typical view of Clacton

Later view
Later view

sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

The postcard posted by Bryan's fan is fabulous. It is very rare to find any postcard showing machines on a pier after about 1915. Most show cast iron mermaids (as racers), Cricketers, Football or Golf and fortune tellers and cast iron mutoscopes. These are I expect a set of the three cast iron shooters (and most likely to be some of the Bollands machines found after the war). Other than the poster advertising the latest show for 1929, the machines seen further to the right are all 1920s machines rarely seen together with cast iron machines from the early 1900s. I have about 15 different views of Clacton pier all showing machines but none after about 1915. If anyone has any late postcards showing clearly 1920/30s machines, perhaps they could post them. I have a couple of small photos showing a Pussy Shooter and an Essex race game only in 20 years of looking.
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

I remember my Gran telling me that a lot of stuff like iron railings, gates, etc. were taken to feed the WW1 war effort. I wonder if the cast iron machines met the same fate, hence their scarcity after 1915?
bob

Post by bob »

I've just looked through all my hundreds of postcards and like Sweetmeats I can find none showing amusement machines dated after 1915 or if undated wearing anything other than Victorian or Edwardian clothing. I have however got a postcard which is undated but shows people wearing '30s/'40s ? clothing which has a Salter Everitt scale. So here's one cast iron coin op that avoided being melted down in the 1st and possibly the 2nd World War.
I've also got the same Clacton postcard showing the three Matthewson machines. Unfortunately it's undated but it is much later, as Sweetmeats says, as clearly it has people wearing more modern clothing than all the other many Clacton pier postcards with coin op machines.
Attachments
Salter Everitt Weighing Machine
Salter Everitt Weighing Machine
sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

Bryans fan has sent me this enlarged close up of the Clacton postcard which I received this morning, showing the three shooters. It has been printed in sepia rather than the original black and white. Just thought other people might like to share the image.
Attachments
pier pic.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Here are two great views of the same oceanfront Baths & Cinema with Mathewson machines by each entrance amongst others. I just researched the White Rock Baths and the cinema was short lived between 1913 and 1915.
Attachments
Baths-Cinema.jpg
Cricket - 6 Man Football  - Salter #1 scale - Sweetmeat Vendor
Cricket - 6 Man Football - Salter #1 scale - Sweetmeat Vendor
Golf - Roovers Name Plate Stamper - 2 Man Football - Salter #1 Scale
Golf - Roovers Name Plate Stamper - 2 Man Football - Salter #1 Scale
Last edited by gameswat on Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob

Post by bob »

Here again is something illustrated that I've wondered about for years. Usually the machines outside on piers such as Mutoscopes, Matthewson Sport machines, the Try You Your Grip, Twist your Grip, Doughty and Barrett Racer, Avery and Salter weighing machines, Sweetmeats and other chocolate machines and the occasional lifters are all cast iron and thus weatherproof. And yet it is not unusual to see the wooden cabinet Roovers stamper name plate machines amongst them out in the open. Were these taken inside overnight or in inclement weather?
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

I have often thought the same, all those lovely machines out in the rain! Especially at Ryde. They must have taken these in.

rydeclos.jpg

Perhaps left some out?
Perhaps left some out?

Two fantastic images from Gameswat, thank you for sharing!
I hadn't realised the Racer came in a cast iron case, I've only seen wooden ones.
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

I am glad you have asked that question Bob, as I have often wondered how pier machines coped with the weather. The cast iron machines may have been 'weatherproof' but would they have been entirely watertight? With the British weather apt to produce a sudden heavy shower or storm in summer I imagine the two player football machines for example to be swimming with water inside. Perhaps an attendant dashed out and covered them or they had strategically placed drain holes?
bob

Post by bob »

The British octagonal cast iron Mutoscopes, of which I've taken apart quite a few to strip and get sandblasted, were caulked (like a boat) with putty or some similar compound to make them as waterproof as possible. Not much water would have got in through coin entry and crank handle shaft hole as there do not have any drain holes in the bottom and they were not generally very rusty on the inside. But then the ones that I have worked on were all operated in Australia and would not have been located outside but in arcades.
Matthewson machine cabinets were not caulked but were tight fitting and the Yacht Race mechanism allowed for the moisture that these machines involved by having some parts (including coil springs) made of non ferrous metals (copper or brass).
clueless

two man football mechanism, any info?

Post by clueless »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Hello,
I am a complete novice with no knowledge, so please be patient with me! I have been left a whole shed load of "treasures"
pizap.com15032626569971.jpg

that belonged to a well loved elderly family member. In amongst this, we found this "two man football mechanism" . It is exactly as it shows in the picture, complete with hand knitted jerseys! It appears to work, the two gentlemen are still kicking! I was told the story of how he came to own this (many,many years ago), but he insisted that it was never in a metal case, but a wooden one? I would love this to be restored and admired again, it was always his intention to do so, but I have neither the time or skill to even consider it. Would it be of interest to anyone, even without it's case? Thank you for your time, any suggestions or information would be most welcome. ********still for sale*********
Last edited by clueless on Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aristomatic

Re: two man football mechanism, any info?

Post by aristomatic »

Welcome clueless

This thread will probably run very quickly and long too I expect. Be prepared for numerous private messages too........

Be interesting to see pic of more of these machines. Just be wary if passing on location details until completely satisfied. There will be more experienced posters to help you identify machines.

Some may be very valuable so take your time if thinking of selling on!

GP

http://elephanthouseauctions.com/details.php?lot=867
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

What a beauty. I don't know any definite details but it's similar to a Chester Pollard Play Football machine, except they have a dozen men on the field.

Definitely a treasure you have there.
sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

Your machine is a Matthewson Two Man Footballer, circa 1898. As well as being made in a cast iron case it was also available in a wooden case as a counter top machine. This is a very rare and valuable machine in an original case. I know of one that sold for over £5000. The mech alone would probably be worth around £3000. If you would like to e-mail me through this site I could let you have pictures of the case and may also be able to put you in touch with a cabinet maker who could make you a high quality case. I would suggest that you should think long and hard before parting with this much cherished family heirloom. Would you be able to share other items 'from the shed' with this site?
sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

To add to the above: the picture of the machine from the Elephant House auction case is I think not original. The original had a removable front. I have somewhere a copy of the patent showing the complete wooden machine and will put it on this when I can find it!
bob

Post by bob »

The mechanism is indeed as Sweetmeats says from a Matthewson 2 Man Footballer. These came in cast iron cabinets such as the one illustrated that was in Australia (photo attached) and also wooden cabinets such as in the original patent and also shown in another photo of one that was brought to Australia by a British collector from England some years ago. This one has a tall cast iron marquee which would have been added in the UK some years after the machine was made. The cast iron stand on this machine however dates to about 1900. I have it in a reprint of a German coin op machine catalogue.

Other Matthewson 2 Man Footballer machines with cast iron cabinets had tall illustrated marquees like the other two attached photos.

Intriguingly, the same wooden marquee that is shown in the Matthewson mechanism patent of 1896 for this machine was the same design that was patented by Matthewson in his design patent of 1910 when he had already been making the cast iron cabinets and then the later tall marquees for some years.

This much later date is definitely not a mistake as can be seen by the much later design patent number (572441) of the 2 Man Footballer design patent, than the design patent number of the Cricket Match number 337195 of 1901 and the design patent number of the Mermaid Yacht Race number 339522 of 1902.
Attachments
Matthewson Footballer Tall Marquee
Matthewson Mermaid Yacht Race Design Patent
Matthewson Mermaid Yacht Race Design Patent
Matthewson Cricket Match design patent
Matthewson Cricket Match design patent
Matthewson 2 man footballer mechanism patent
Matthewson 2 man footballer mechanism patent
Matthewson Football Design Patent