E/M Bally bandits

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
barnzy11

Re: Bally gold award fruit machine help

Post by barnzy11 »

Hey guys, well I got a chance to pop round me dad's, we traced the linkage back and we found this loose spring that could be the problem? Any ideas where it goes? We tried to put it on the little tube directly above it but it is slightly too small and doesn't fit :(
Attachments
IMAG0219a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

That doesn't look right.
You're photo shows an electro magnetic switch with the movable part missing.
Above that you have a reed switch which seems to have nothing to activate it, so I guess you've got a non functioning relay which has bits missing.
You need somebody with a Bally bandit now to show you how that particular unit looks.
livinginthepast

Post by livinginthepast »

The coil armature is missing - it pivots in the slot below the spring and is pulled down by the coil, so releasing the handle mechanism.
barnzy11

Post by barnzy11 »

Ahh so it's a case of missing parts? Prob will be a nightmare to try and source them I would thinks as well :(
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The solenoids are not hard to find, or expensive. You just need the right spec. It will have it written on it. All it does is when the power is on (thanks to the switch on the coin mech) the central bolt (now missing) that goes into the coil you still have pushes up and makes the switch which, I'm guessing, fires another solenoid that pulls the handle and mech into each other's reach. I say I'm guessing because this would seem a little like having two solenoids to do one job so I'm guessing this solenoid is part of a pair that do the job,. This one is activating the hold switch which keeps the handle and mech in touch until the machine runs a cycle during which another switch somewhere cuts the power to this solenoid and the bar drops releasing the switch and cutting the power to the other solenoid which retracts so the handle and mech are no longer in touch. And now you know why we prefer all mechanical machines. :NBG:
pipcaff

Post by pipcaff »

D7B03B68-D6C6-4BAA-B599-B7EC700771C1a.jpg

Hi just noticed this thread today
I’ve had a Bally gold award for over 30 years. It was originally bought as a money bank.
The coin mech took a 6d coin prior to being changed to a penny. The new 5p is a similar size to the 6d. On the back of the mech is a slider you can adjust to try and deflect the coin away from the magnet and also a screw which lifts the magnet. This is delicate, so small adjustments should be done.

Mine has the option of one go per coin or two, and also the option of 'hold'. This can be changed on the left side of the reels near the lower back. There is a dial that turns to press down on the electrical contacts. That dial will have additional holes and you can unscrew the small bar and move it to change the plays per coin.

Play adjustment:
B028771F-1726-40DC-9CCD-2365BC3D8734a.jpg

Pics of small metal plate you're missing for drop lever:
Attachments
3454045F-EC52-4066-B7E5-D55036432EE4a.jpg
0A849B15-5BD8-48B8-874D-D30A24B64E5Ca.jpg
riche100

Post by riche100 »

Here is a manual. All the info you need is in there: Electro-mechanical Bally bandit service manuals
brigham

Post by brigham »

I've just collected a Bally Gold Award (on the day I meant to go to the Elephant Auction at Gateshead).
It has had a crude conversion to New Penny. Thankfully, the only damage to the artwork is in the upper left corner, where the glass has been scraped clear, and a piece of orange card affixed, saying "Insert 1NP for one game". Thankfully, the payout list has been left alone, still showing "1/-" and the Gold Award as appropriate.
Has anyone a pic. of what the defaced bit ought to look like?
It's the simplest Bally bandit I've ever seen, having two electric payout slides and no hopper. I'm thinking that it would have been on 6d. originally, with two tanners paid out to make up the shilling.
De-converting it isn't going to be as simple as I had hoped. The slide must have been changed; it pays out FOUR tanners, not two. I'll have to think about that.
The acceptor is the usual Coin Controls clip-in type, and is labelled for '1NP'. I may be able to re-configure it.
Then I only need to get the reel mechanism free...
livinginthepast

Bally Gold Awards were on 2 pulls for 6d....payouts were 2 x 6d or the gold award valued at 5 shillings (25p) which could only be exchanged for goods.
brigham

Post by brigham »

Excellent. Thanks.
Essentially, it's a simple machine in the '3d. value' tax class.
The '2 pulls' provision is still there, along with the '!st' and '2nd' lamps. I just need to select it at the coin switch. Any idea what the original artwork looked like?
brigham

Post by brigham »

UPDATE!
The front glass on this machine is configured for THREE pulls per coin.
Three pulls for 6d.
Has anyone heard of such a thing?
pipcaff

Post by pipcaff »

Yes they had machines with 1,2 or 3 goes depends on your model.
To adjust the amount of plays you need to move a grub screw on the side of the reels see pic the arrow points to the screw and you’ll notice a small square plate behind you just move the screw between these to determine the amount of plays you get.
Attachments
68C5D234-AE42-45D6-A0DA-9054133834Aa.jpg
oranandrews

Bally Lucky Stars questions

Post by oranandrews »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hi,
I purchased a Bally Lucky Stars one arm bandit this week. It has been working fine all week, then today I was playing on it and a win of 20 pence came up....There was not enough 2 ps in the machine to pay the full amount. It made a noise for a while and then stopped. The next time I turned the machine on, NOTHING, just a red light at the back... Could anyone tell me is this due to not having enough money to pay out? And is there a start up/reset switch somewhere???
Thanks guys !!
livinginthepast

Re: Bally Lucky Stars one arm bandit

The hopper has timed out because not enough coins and, yes, you need to press the reset button. I think this is somewhere near the red light you are seeing. You may need to pull the hopper out to find it.
oranandrews

Re: Bally Lucky Stars one arm bandit

Post by oranandrews »

Hi Thanks... Removed the hopper and found the button. Really appreciate your response. Thanks again.
oranandrews

Bally Lucky Stars one arm bandit bottom light

Post by oranandrews »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Can anyone advise me on changing the bottom florescent strip on my Bally Lucky Stars one arm bandit. Behind the glass at the bottom I am lost as to which screws to undo to release the glass?? Cheers
coppinpr

Re: Bally Lucky Stars questions

Post by coppinpr »

Show us a photo of inside the door, then it's easier for us to point to the right ones. It's quite straight forward on most models. Welcome to the forum. :cool:
oranandrews

Bally Lucky Stars Bulb replacement

Post by oranandrews »

Topic merged- Site Admin.

Hi...
I am desperate to find out how to change the bottom flourecent bulb on my Bally Lucky Stars machine. Please help |/XX\|
Kind Regards, Olly
Attachments
WIN_20190314_13_16_47_Proa.jpg
WIN_20190314_13_16_25_Proa.jpg
WIN_20190314_13_16_15_Proa.jpg
WIN_20190314_13_15_55_Proa.jpg
WIN_20190314_13_15_43_Proa.jpg
oranandrews

Re: Bally Lucky Stars Bulb replacement

Post by oranandrews »

Nobody ???
brigham

Re: Bally Lucky Stars Bulb replacement

Post by brigham »

Removing the belly glass on these is often a nightmare.
The frame is held on by screws through the back of the front door; you can CAREFULLY work out which ones if you compare the position of the outer frame with the door back.
BUT... the frame generally still doesn't come free. It sticks on some sort of ageing sealant, and refuses to move without being eased carefully round and round, taking care not to break the glass.
I have one to do, which I gave up on over a year ago. I'll let you know when I get it free.