Re-introduction and a Bryan's question

Tell us a bit about yourself.
tdmnick

Re-introduction and a Bryan's question

Post by tdmnick »

Hi all,

Although I've been a member here since 2011, I haven't been active since then because of life getting in the way as it so often does - and I had to sell two of my four penny machines back then to raise funds for roof work on the house too. So this is to just say "re-hello" and I hope this time I will be able to enjoy the hobby a bit more than I did a few years back!

Anyway - I did hang on to a couple (Bullion and Bell-Fruit Cascade), and have now just got myself a third after all that time - nothing rare but a good old Elevenses.

My question is: someone's converted it from a 1P to a 1D machine - coin tray, vertical slide and coin entry are all correct for 1D. But the top coin chute part (pictured below) is still 1P and has been made to work just by strategic removal of two of the small nuts and bolts and a bit of gaffer tape added... !PUNISH! which is far from ideal.

Although looking for a 1D replacement ideally, if I made my own, what metal should I be looking to get for a) the sheet sides and b) the square sections which form the front and prevent the coin falling out?

I've been looking at Zintec sheet steel (zinc coated) 0.9mm - too thick?

Cheers!
Attachments
Wcr5v7n.jpg
bryansjim

Re: Re-introduction and a Bryan's question

Post by bryansjim »

I made a few of these years ago. I will have a look in the garage when I get a minute.
😀
tdmnick

Post by tdmnick »

That would be fantastic if you did still have one lurking.

And if not, maybe an idea of if the zintec stuff is going to be ok to use, or if not, what's best.

Thanks !!THUMBSX2!!
brigham

Post by brigham »

Brass was the material I used for the same part on a half-crown change machine.
It has the advantage of taking solder readily, which avoids the bolt-heads which sometimes interfere with reliable working of coin-chutes.
tdmnick

Post by tdmnick »

brigham wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:52 am Brass was the material I used for the same part on a half-crown change machine.
It has the advantage of taking solder readily, which avoids the bolt-heads which sometimes interfere with reliable working of coin-chutes.
Thanks - an interesting thought - have never soldered anything before but there's one way to learn... :shock:

I'll see if Bryansjim or my Wanted advert come up with anything first though.
bryansjim

Post by bryansjim »

The ones I made were made from zintex and tack welded I think.
bryansjim

Post by bryansjim »

Just had a root through box after box of stuff, I really must sell some on.
Don't have any, I could make up a batch.😀
Attachments
IMG_2492a.jpg
IMG_2491a.jpg
tdmnick

Post by tdmnick »

That looks good - a different design to mine in terms of the proportion of vertical open chute being shorter on mine with the 'top part' having an extended drop before the join to the vertical.

Have not heard from anyone yet regarding my wanted advert (you'd think there'd be parts of Bryan's Allwins lurking in all sorts of places) but am still hopeful, however if nothing then a decent new part would be very welcome!