Rust removal with vinegar

Advice and guidance on repair and restoration techniques.
special when lit

Rust removal with vinegar

Post by special when lit »

Just picked up a Sega Mad Money that looks like it's been dragged out of a canal. Everything on the mech is totally rusty, clock won't turn, payout slides solid, pivots all seized etc.
I like a project, but not planning to start this one until next year, however I wanted to give the vinegar rust removal a go, so I thought I'd try on the escalator.
Like everything else, it was seized solid, so I bought some of Asda'a finest white vinegar & had a go.
A couple of pics of the escalator, before I started.
20191028_134139.jpg

DSCF1122.JPG

Took it all to pieces, carefully removing the various levers that had seized onto their pivots, poured the vinegar into a plastic container & mixed in a few tablespoons of salt. Put the parts in, leave for 24 hours, then give them a gentle scrub with some wire wool.
Not quite as good as new, but I'm pleased with the result. Made a new rubber stop out of an old pinball machine rebound rubber, re-built the escalator, & it works fine.
Just need a main spring, if anyone has one to sell.
DSCF1132.JPG

DSCF1134.JPG

DSCF1135.JPG

P.S. If you try this, wear gloves & try not to spill any vinegar on your bench. It stinks!
gameswat

Re: Rust removal with vinegar

Post by gameswat »

Thanks for the tip Special. Appears the vinegar didn't eat any of the remaining plating off, just the corrosion?
livinginthepast

Post by livinginthepast »

This is the recipe for cleaning oxidised copper wire so that it can be soldered
grains

Post by grains »

Great tip Special thank you - I have a jackpot unit in a similar state so will give it a try.
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

This year I did the same on my Jennings Chief, with a lot of deeper rust. A really dirty and smelly job, but it really works.
Attachments
C81DB1E2-1C17-48B7-982D-811147120E20.jpeg
3DABB9BD-F44E-4DFE-B9F1-F3D03534E13B.jpeg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

To neutralise the acid after scrubbing the rust off, dissolve a cup of baking soda in a gallon of water and soak the metal in it for about 15 minutes. Then scrub again and remove moisture with a pad soaked in meths. Finally (and depending upon the part), you can give it some rust protection by rubbing the metal over with a touch of motor oil.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

When it comes to freeing up rusty things that are supposed to move but don't want to, I always use diesel.
It has astonishing penetrative qualities and of course it's an oil.

I learnt this after visiting someone who was into stationary engines.
He had some fantastic lumps of cast machinery reclining around his property. However the one that took my interest was a seized Fairbanks Morse Z open crank 3hp
One of these
One of these

Although it was a striking machine my interest in it was mainly because it was suspended on end two feet in the air over a sand pit. The big end of the con-rod had been detached from the crank and was tied to one end of a thick rope which in itself was tied to a very stout tree branch. He was feeding a shot of diesel down the back of the bore every day, and was pleased to advise the amount he was administering daily was increasing. I heard later it was a further fortnight before the lump was found reposing in the sand pit and the piston was left hanging in the tree.

I'm sure vinegar cleans or is it neutralises rust, and I think diesel frees it up better.
The biggest advantage vinegar has is that diesel makes your chips slimy.

BP
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Only issue with vinegar is that it obviously is acidic and if left for too long will break the surface seal on good metal, tarnish and leave exposed. I just use good old hard work.

Another thing is that if you heat vinegar it concentrates the acid to an even more potent effect
special when lit

badpenny wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:33 pm When it comes to freeing up rusty things that are supposed to move but don't want to, I always use diesel.
It has astonishing penetrative qualities and of course it's an oil
That's exactly what I'm going to try with the seized clock, & I can put what's left over in my car. Bonus!
chris rideout

Post by chris rideout »

Time for me to try this. I have a bit of corrosion on my Sega Progressive where, owing to the lack of space, it had spent a few months in the bathroom. A certain dog of mine had treated the winnings tray as a lamp post! The machine has been covered with a nylon sheet and is awaiting the arrival of a substantial table which needs to be higher than a certain part of the dog's anatomy!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

OK, so dog pee no good for rust removal. !SHERLOCK!
chris rideout

Post by chris rideout »

Correct! It comes out looking like WD 40 but does not have the same properties. Why can't he water the potted plants instead?
marekb

Post by marekb »

Dear @special_when_lit
Looks like a great project. I have the same machine, mercifully in slightly better condition :)
Would you be able to share a photo of how the electrics are connected pls?
Am especially interested in:
1. What the wires (one is blue), rising to the left of the payout window, connect to.
2. What lighting fixture is in the separate/top "highlight" section (also is there a proper name for that? Mine is missing and I'd like to get one).
3. The spec for the neon starters.
I can see the wiring diagram from the resources section, so that's also very useful.
Kind regards,
Marek
special when lit

Hi Marek.
In answer to your questions;
1 The wires go to the light fitting in the top box.
2 The fitting is a standard mini fluorescent fitting, the same as the others in the machine, but with its own starter.
3 I've had a look at mine, but the starters have no markings.
marekb

Post by marekb »

Thanks special_when_lit

Will take the choke I've got to some DIY stores and see what I can find.

Re. the lamps, would you know if they are the standard 9" ones or some special length?

Kind regards
Marek
special when lit

Yes, as far as I know.
marekb

Post by marekb »

Thank you.