Haydon & Urry Game of Barrels identified

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
john t peterson

Haydon & Urry Game of Barrels identified

Post by john t peterson »

Teaser of the Day. Can you identify this machine? I recently acquired it and will post more pictures and information soon. In the meantime, put on your thinking caps and show off your knowledge.

John Peterson
Your American Correspondent.
Attachments
1247100356.jpg
willborl

Re: OLD TEASER

Post by willborl »

Hi John

I think one was on eBay recently and went for £700.

"An Extremely rare the only one Known!! This is a catcher type wall or table top allwin type machine there is no rot or worm The machine is in full working order on old penny 1d ( it has key ,the game is a game of skill is that you need to insert the coin at top and flick the bar at side of machine and you must try and get the coin into the centre barrels to get your coin returned i bought this a few years ago from a well known collector .and it has been restored about 10 years ago using some new and old parts has a Bolland background in circle This really is a rare opportunity to own a rare Machine"

Above is what the seller put in the description. Obviously not the only one known!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

Have a look on the link, there are some good pictures for you.

Hope this helps
Attachments
287677992_o.jpg
287677977_o.jpg
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

Made by Haydon and Urry, circa 1900, or Game of Barrels, Licenced Victuallers Co., London, circa 1898.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Kudos to Daveslot for correctly identifying the machine. If you look at page 43 of "Automatic Pleasures," you will see an ad including picture for this very game. Below is a check that one would win for a successful coin shot into the last barrel. As you can see, the address for Haydon & Urry is 34 Gray's Inn Road, an address from which the firm moved in 1896. I think it safe to say the game was manufactured around the turn of the century. Honorable mention goes to WillBorl who spotted the "other" barrels game that recently sold on Ebay-UK. I am of the opinion that this barrel machine is a "fantasy" game that was created out of spare parts. A collector far more knowledgeable than I also shares this opinion.

Well done, Men!

JP
USA
Attachments
127_3930.jpg