Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
watlingman

Re: Novelty Merchantman Crane

Postby watlingman » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:38 am

in my earlier reply about the backlash i said it was printed on card it was actual printed on some kind of light weight plastic similar to what estate agent signs are made of you couldn't tear it and it was about 3/4mm thick !!THUMBSX2!!

woodrails

Postby woodrails » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:31 pm

I'm nearing completion on my restoration. I built a completely new cabinet of walnut. All parts were cleaned and polished. I'm very happy with the results so far. I'd like to share a few pictures.

Also, at this point I am looking for three parts for this machine. I am looking for a replacement for my front faceplate which was cut and hacked by an operator sometime in the past. I also need the molding that is located just below the faceplate and the light fixture on the top, both of which I am missing completely.
IMG_5788a.jpg
IMG_5787a.jpg
IMG_5790a.jpg

geofflove

Postby geofflove » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:49 pm

Top job. Lovely cabinet!

woodrails

Postby woodrails » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:59 pm

I have found a person who can make a new casting of the face plate with the script on it. How much do you think would be a good price for me as the buyer and him as a seller. It's just the plate, not the round prize chute too.

And how good are recast parts? What should my expectations be? Thanks in advance.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:02 am

That's a bit of a "How long's a piece of string set of questions there"
How much do you think would be a good price ... It's all down to: -
  • How much it'd be worth to you.
    What would a genuine part cost or would you be prepared to pay for a genuine one?
    How better is it likely to make the appearance?
    How much will it improve the machine for resell, if you had to?
And how good are recast parts? What should my expectations be?

Don't allow the supplier to dictate the standard to you, you're the customer. If he's any good he should do a decent job.
Assure yourself he's going to take the 6.5% shrinkage into consideration, otherwise you'll end up undersize by that percentage.
Check the thickness of casting he's thinking off (again taking into account the shrinkage). Too thin and it could crack or snap when screwing it on. Ask him if he's planning to make a sand mould for direct casting or a lost wax method? If you don't know these methods Google them, they're not complicated but worth knowing about. Different results can be achieved. I would ask him how he will ensure a surface without bubbles/craters. You don't want to end having to spread filler across it and then paint it to disguise.

Start your conversation with him discussing the standard you want, then ask him how much it'll cost. If he bounces it back to you asking what you'll pay ..... then it really is up to you. I'd start at £40, wait for the sharp intake of breath and be prepared to double it in order not to insult. From then on it's merely a case of who is the best negotiator.
The joy of getting it done cheaply never outlasts the disappointment of looking at something that's not up to scratch.

BP :didact:

scorpa163

Postby scorpa163 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:05 pm

BP is correct “ the quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten “