Novelty Merchantman Crane

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
JC

Re: Novelty Merchantman Crane

Post by JC »

gameswat wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:09 pmWhile I've seen many variations from the adverts with the much smaller production British made machines...
So were they made in this country under licence? That would certainly come as a monumental revelation!
Attachments
My machine at Brighton
My machine at Brighton
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

No you misread that sentence JC. I was saying all kinds of British made machines were made in such small amounts that they often vary in the small details dramatically from any advertising, so there are many variants of marquees to BMCO allwins for example. While US produced machines were usually much more professional and exact with far fewer odd variations.
JC

Post by JC »

Ah, I see - totally misunderstood. But yes, I agree with what you say about British machines. Many were made in such relatively small numbers, often using materials that were available at the time, that they were practically individually hand-built.

But back to Merchantman cranes. There does appear to be an inconsistency with, what we tend to call here in the UK, the 'small' Merchantman cranes. The casting on the front of my crane (pictured above) seems to be standard here and is the only style I've encountered over many years on other machines. However, the casting on your machine Gameswat, is completely different, although is as illustrated in the ESCo flyer. Any ideas on what the story is there?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

From page 258 of Arcade 1 (Bueschel & Gronowski):
As successful as it was, the NOVELTY MERCHANTMAN was soon up for yet another improvement, the latter the idea of Claude R. Kirk, of California... Kirk quickly picked up on prior work by other Exhibit Supply engineers and designers to create a large hopper type dispenser to avoid the problems of premium clogging (Patent No. 1,998,625, "Delivery Service," Patentee Claude R. Kirk, Chicago, Ill., assignor to John F. Meyer, Flintbridge, Calif.). They stuck it on the front of the machine to create the "Roll Chute" 1935 Novelty Merchantman, as shown.
Attachments
NMC.jpg
1998625.jpg
woodrails

Post by woodrails »

I have just joined this group. I am restoring a Novelty Merchantman (including a new cabinet) and have a question about mounting a graphic on the back. The metal plate there is rusted badly and I will be sanding it down to bare metal. What is the best way to apply my print onto the metal? I'm thinking I ought to primer and paint the metal before applying the print. But once that is done should I just use spray adhesive? I could use some advice.

I also hope to locate a replacement for my front faceplate and the metal molding that's located just below it. I also hope to find a light dome for the top. Thanks.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Hey Woody, all the Novelty cranes I've seen have had a print attached to thin cardboard, held in place with small quarter molding nailed on all edges, same molding that holds the glasses in place. Much easier to deal with if you replace it sometime.
watlingman

Post by watlingman »

HI I have just restored a similar crane I had the artwork printed onto hard wearing card cut to correct size saves lots of time and hassle, just depends on what you want to spend mine cost £140 but was well pleased with results, good luck
Attachments
ETC 32-33 for email.jpg
woodrails

Post by woodrails »

I'm wondering what the purpose is for the metal plate. Wood will expand/contract with humidity changes so applying it directly to wood is not a good idea. Applying to a thick card stock makes sense but is it going to be rigid over time or will it bow, warp, etc.? I'm leaning toward sandwiching it between the metal plate or even just the plywood back wall and a thin sheet of plexiglass. Any thoughts on that?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I think for a protracted lifespan your suggestion is good.
I would guess they weren't that strong when new is more down to the lack of expectation that these machine would still be working (even if only with collectors) 80 or 90 years later.
Also there might have been a nice little earner going on in replacing them to modernise the game a bit.

I guess the deciding factor lies with the owner being: -

* a stickler for accuracy/authenticity
* tolerant of machines in mint condition
* someone who prefers a more used look to showroom gleam.

The same sort of things we witness in the coin operated hobby today regardless of which machine.

BP :cool:
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

woodrails wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:38 pm I'm wondering what the purpose is for the metal plate. Wood will expand/contract with humidity changes so applying it directly to wood is not a good idea. Applying to a thick card stock makes sense but is it going to be rigid over time or will it bow, warp, etc.? I'm leaning toward sandwiching it between the metal plate or even just the plywood back wall and a thin sheet of plexiglass. Any thoughts on that?
I imagine your metal backing is a later replacement in place of the original poster. When you remove the tin for rust removal you should see signs of earlier attachment if the poster was used as held in place by the quarter round wood moldings, which leaves nail holes along all the edges. I think you are well overthinking this as the main body of the cranes is plywood so almost no shrinkage can occur. And since the hard life of the machine is long gone now it should survive many many decades without an issue.
watlingman

Post by watlingman »

in my earlier reply about the backlash i said it was printed on card it was actual printed on some kind of light weight plastic similar to what estate agent signs are made of you couldn't tear it and it was about 3/4mm thick !!THUMBSX2!!
woodrails

Post by woodrails »

I'm nearing completion on my restoration. I built a completely new cabinet of walnut. All parts were cleaned and polished. I'm very happy with the results so far. I'd like to share a few pictures.

Also, at this point I am looking for three parts for this machine. I am looking for a replacement for my front faceplate which was cut and hacked by an operator sometime in the past. I also need the molding that is located just below the faceplate and the light fixture on the top, both of which I am missing completely.
Attachments
IMG_5788a.jpg
IMG_5787a.jpg
IMG_5790a.jpg
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Top job. Lovely cabinet!
woodrails

Post by woodrails »

I have found a person who can make a new casting of the face plate with the script on it. How much do you think would be a good price for me as the buyer and him as a seller. It's just the plate, not the round prize chute too.

And how good are recast parts? What should my expectations be? Thanks in advance.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

That's a bit of a "How long's a piece of string set of questions there"
How much do you think would be a good price ... It's all down to: -
  • How much it'd be worth to you.
    What would a genuine part cost or would you be prepared to pay for a genuine one?
    How better is it likely to make the appearance?
    How much will it improve the machine for resell, if you had to?
And how good are recast parts? What should my expectations be?

Don't allow the supplier to dictate the standard to you, you're the customer. If he's any good he should do a decent job.
Assure yourself he's going to take the 6.5% shrinkage into consideration, otherwise you'll end up undersize by that percentage.
Check the thickness of casting he's thinking off (again taking into account the shrinkage). Too thin and it could crack or snap when screwing it on. Ask him if he's planning to make a sand mould for direct casting or a lost wax method? If you don't know these methods Google them, they're not complicated but worth knowing about. Different results can be achieved. I would ask him how he will ensure a surface without bubbles/craters. You don't want to end having to spread filler across it and then paint it to disguise.

Start your conversation with him discussing the standard you want, then ask him how much it'll cost. If he bounces it back to you asking what you'll pay ..... then it really is up to you. I'd start at £40, wait for the sharp intake of breath and be prepared to double it in order not to insult. From then on it's merely a case of who is the best negotiator.
The joy of getting it done cheaply never outlasts the disappointment of looking at something that's not up to scratch.

BP :didact:
scorpa163

Post by scorpa163 »

BP is correct “ the quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten “
4591yelrah

Post by 4591yelrah »

Has anyone a wiring diagram for the Merchantman crane?

Does anybody make the background for the Merchantman crane UK?
brigham

Post by brigham »

I haven't a diagram, but mine goes:
Mains lead to MEM-DIX double-pole fuse/isolating switch.
Live out to tilt switch, then to rheostat coil.
Rheostat rider to other end of rheostat coil, leaving enough slack to reach full travel.
Rheostat coil (rider end) to motor terminal. Other motor terminal back to neutral side of fuse/switch.
The cabinet light on mine is wired to the mains-in side of the fuse, and comes on when plugged-in. You may prefer to wire it to the 'out' terminals, so that it too, is fused.
4591yelrah

Post by 4591yelrah »

Totally lost me there. Have you a pic of the coin slot side? I think I've something missing at that side. I've got it running if I hold the switch near coin slot down. There seems to be a circular clip above it with nothing in it.
Thanks in advance
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Many of these machines have been messed with over the years, motors and coin mechs changed out etc etc. If you could post some photos of your machine showing the motor name plate etc, someone might be able to advise you better. :cool: