Novelty Merchantman Crane

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
gameswat

Re: Novelty Merchantman Crane

Post by gameswat »

Another long term project just finished and also soon to leave my employ....This was my first crane and was very happy to buy it locally from an old operator buddy of my father's, even though it was a true basket case. Purchased in 2003 and was half restored by 2004, but then soon after I had to abandon it for a decade. In 2005 I purchased a French Bonzini & Sopransi mid 1930s crane that used the same mechanism as the Exhibit Merchantman machine, I believe under licence to Exhibit. I knew if I finished the Exhibit machine sooner or later a collector would pry it off me when I needed the cash. So by leaving it alone it would still be here to copy any parts I didn't track down for the B&S machine. Only took 10 years to finally buy the correct French mech at an elephant house auction! Then a local friend and customer gave me a down payment to get re-started onto the Merchantman (2015) and only as of a couple of days ago have I actually finished the damned thing!! I am an idiot though, I was given two different OK copies of the background poster as re-painted by artists, but that wasn't good enough for me. So having documented any originals in my travels, which were all terrible, and using my own horrendous example as a starting point I then spent around 45+ hrs re-making the poster. :o :!?!: !PUZZLED! :HaHa:
Attachments
As found!
As found!
novelty crane 3.jpg
novelty crane 1.jpg
novelty crane 2.jpg
novelty crane 4.jpg
novelty coin 2.JPG
novelty posters x 2.jpg
speedwell

Post by speedwell »

What a fabulous Job! Stunning.
brigham

Post by brigham »

The background scene really sets the whole thing off. I mostly remember seeing them with a faded backboard, or just painted or wallpapered over.
Mine has 1" mirror tiles, which I've seen before on British-operated examples. It gives a good impression of 'more swag', so I'm leaving it alone.
My cabinet is the same, although painted and grained, but doesn't have the pediment. Do you think it is missing?
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

The adverts all show the machine with the marquee. But I only ever add them back to machines when I find the screw holes or bracket marks that prove the machine did have it once installed. Though with these big US companies like Exhibit I image they all came as shown on the flyers. While I've seen many variations from the adverts with the much smaller production British made machines. Reading the Specifications copy on the bottom of the flyer it states a height of 71", and on measuring my machine that includes the marquee, so I'd say they all came with the marquee originally.
Attachments
Shown in the office of Exhibit Supply Co.
Shown in the office of Exhibit Supply Co.
exhibitsupply3.jpg
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Splendid work, Gameswat. You definitely play the "long game." !THUMBS!

J Peterson
US fan
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

Looks amazing, well done! !WORSHIPFULL!
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Grand job! Thank goodness your customer didn't die in the interim. :D
sjt1803

Post by sjt1803 »

There were 2 styles of posters used as background.

One was a night scene the other a day scene
Attachments
imperialmockup3.jpg
joebackground2.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Sjt, except both those backgrounds are recent re-imaginings, loosely hand-painted based on the original art. The period advertising states the art is a Night-time scene, so I'll stick with that unless you come up with an original litho background that is different, and or advertising that states a differing daytime artwork in written form?
sjt1803

Post by sjt1803 »

The backgrounds I've seen were hand painted. Possibly some creative license was exercised.
JC

Post by JC »

gameswat wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:09 pmWhile I've seen many variations from the adverts with the much smaller production British made machines...
So were they made in this country under licence? That would certainly come as a monumental revelation!
Attachments
My machine at Brighton
My machine at Brighton
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

No you misread that sentence JC. I was saying all kinds of British made machines were made in such small amounts that they often vary in the small details dramatically from any advertising, so there are many variants of marquees to BMCO allwins for example. While US produced machines were usually much more professional and exact with far fewer odd variations.
JC

Post by JC »

Ah, I see - totally misunderstood. But yes, I agree with what you say about British machines. Many were made in such relatively small numbers, often using materials that were available at the time, that they were practically individually hand-built.

But back to Merchantman cranes. There does appear to be an inconsistency with, what we tend to call here in the UK, the 'small' Merchantman cranes. The casting on the front of my crane (pictured above) seems to be standard here and is the only style I've encountered over many years on other machines. However, the casting on your machine Gameswat, is completely different, although is as illustrated in the ESCo flyer. Any ideas on what the story is there?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

From page 258 of Arcade 1 (Bueschel & Gronowski):
As successful as it was, the NOVELTY MERCHANTMAN was soon up for yet another improvement, the latter the idea of Claude R. Kirk, of California... Kirk quickly picked up on prior work by other Exhibit Supply engineers and designers to create a large hopper type dispenser to avoid the problems of premium clogging (Patent No. 1,998,625, "Delivery Service," Patentee Claude R. Kirk, Chicago, Ill., assignor to John F. Meyer, Flintbridge, Calif.). They stuck it on the front of the machine to create the "Roll Chute" 1935 Novelty Merchantman, as shown.
Attachments
NMC.jpg
1998625.jpg
woodrails

Post by woodrails »

I have just joined this group. I am restoring a Novelty Merchantman (including a new cabinet) and have a question about mounting a graphic on the back. The metal plate there is rusted badly and I will be sanding it down to bare metal. What is the best way to apply my print onto the metal? I'm thinking I ought to primer and paint the metal before applying the print. But once that is done should I just use spray adhesive? I could use some advice.

I also hope to locate a replacement for my front faceplate and the metal molding that's located just below it. I also hope to find a light dome for the top. Thanks.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Hey Woody, all the Novelty cranes I've seen have had a print attached to thin cardboard, held in place with small quarter molding nailed on all edges, same molding that holds the glasses in place. Much easier to deal with if you replace it sometime.
watlingman

Post by watlingman »

HI I have just restored a similar crane I had the artwork printed onto hard wearing card cut to correct size saves lots of time and hassle, just depends on what you want to spend mine cost £140 but was well pleased with results, good luck
Attachments
ETC 32-33 for email.jpg
woodrails

Post by woodrails »

I'm wondering what the purpose is for the metal plate. Wood will expand/contract with humidity changes so applying it directly to wood is not a good idea. Applying to a thick card stock makes sense but is it going to be rigid over time or will it bow, warp, etc.? I'm leaning toward sandwiching it between the metal plate or even just the plywood back wall and a thin sheet of plexiglass. Any thoughts on that?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I think for a protracted lifespan your suggestion is good.
I would guess they weren't that strong when new is more down to the lack of expectation that these machine would still be working (even if only with collectors) 80 or 90 years later.
Also there might have been a nice little earner going on in replacing them to modernise the game a bit.

I guess the deciding factor lies with the owner being: -

* a stickler for accuracy/authenticity
* tolerant of machines in mint condition
* someone who prefers a more used look to showroom gleam.

The same sort of things we witness in the coin operated hobby today regardless of which machine.

BP :cool:
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

woodrails wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:38 pm I'm wondering what the purpose is for the metal plate. Wood will expand/contract with humidity changes so applying it directly to wood is not a good idea. Applying to a thick card stock makes sense but is it going to be rigid over time or will it bow, warp, etc.? I'm leaning toward sandwiching it between the metal plate or even just the plywood back wall and a thin sheet of plexiglass. Any thoughts on that?
I imagine your metal backing is a later replacement in place of the original poster. When you remove the tin for rust removal you should see signs of earlier attachment if the poster was used as held in place by the quarter round wood moldings, which leaves nail holes along all the edges. I think you are well overthinking this as the main body of the cranes is plywood so almost no shrinkage can occur. And since the hard life of the machine is long gone now it should survive many many decades without an issue.