Anyone else had one of these?

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
slotalot

Anyone else had one of these?

Post by slotalot »

Hi :D
As some of you may know I have taken over our spare back bedroom now that my eldest son has finally left home, and over the last 18 months or so I have been converting it into my very own vintage arcade !!YIPPEE!! , as a result I want to share with you my latest find, and I didn’t even know I was going to get this until I came down to breakfast this morning and there it was, I am not very happy with it at the moment and it will take lots of work to put right, but from what I can see the woodwork is all original and dates from 1932 when the house was built,
Unfortunately I am not talking about some wonderful vintage machine; :tut I am talking about the 4 foot diameter hole in the dining room ceiling! :dammit: , the dining room being directly under my vintage arcade room. I can only think that the extra weight of some of my collection and the fact that I had just been moving them around the night before may have helped to dislodge the old plasterwork :!?!: ...
It’s not all bad news though; to be fair the dining room was due for a facelift sometime soon..... This has now been upgraded by Mrs slotalot to ^{}^ “you had better get this *******mess sorted out now”!!!!!
And this is one job that I definitely won’t be trying to doing myself, luckily my younger son is a builder and has come to my rescue.
It’s funny but the subject of keeping your machines upstairs was discussed on this forum not long ago, and believe me there are concerns about doing this...... :tarah:
Attachments
P7040067.JPG
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Re: Anyone else had one of these?

Post by coin-op »

But surely this shows the foresight of we collectors. After all, if the machines had been downstairs they would have been covered in plaster and might have been damaged by the weight of the bed in the bedroom :burp:
JC

Post by JC »

So how did you get the Waltonian upstairs in the first place?

To be honest, I doubt whether the weight of your machines is the prime cause of your recent misfortune. You'd be suprised how much weight the joists will support, especially around the perimeter of the room. We have a cast iron bath in the bathroom, and when it's full with water and someone's laying in it, that's a hell of a lot of allwins.

Anyway, hope you can get it fixed OK
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

If it's any consolation, Stuart - my slot machine workshop ceiling looks like this.
Attachments
ceiling.jpg
ceiling.jpg (21.59 KiB) Viewed 2959 times
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Have you tried putting your ceiling hole on ebay?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Great idea, he could list it as a genuine American Bryans :lol:
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

PennyMachines wrote:If it's any consolation, Stuart - my slot machine workshop ceiling looks like this.
Hi Dave :D
Just as I thought.......mine is bigger than yours!!!!! -/00\-
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Just a quick question here: Is this a common British practice, hanging tools from your ceiling? Wouldn't drapes be cheaper??
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

They stopped us hanging murderers and crooked politicians, not much left really ......
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Badpenny wrote:Great idea, he could list it as a genuine American Bryans :lol:
I think it's more likely to be "genuine German Bryans" !PUZZLED!
As I think I remember someone once saying that our house was Jerry Built!!! !SORRY!