Bang! Zoom! Straight to the moon!

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Bang! Zoom! Straight to the moon!

Post by pennymachines »

Compare and contrast... Two French takes on this game from Lemaitre's Les Machines à Sous.
You have to admit, for artistic flair and all-round finesse, the French games reign supreme.
Attachments
L'Infini
L'Infini
Au Claire De Lune
Au Claire De Lune
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Spot on Pennymachines - I need my bib on whilst looking at those French machines.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Was looking at this Moon and Stars the other day for some reason and got side tracked yet again into messing around with it. Figured out by gluing some rubber onto the shooting lever the coins now fire correctly, and doesn't damage the coin as a bonus!

But the best thing was deciding to clean off the retouched paint. I experimented with thinners and then with Methylated Spirits. The meths worked a treat, not only easily taking off the offending paint to expose much original paintwork, but look at all that yellowed varnish that came off too. Really can't tell you how much brighter the whole face is. I bought this one specifically for that hand painted art so this was an unexpected bonus!
Attachments
moon and stars varnish 1.jpg
moon and stars varnish 2.jpg
moon and stars varnish 3.jpg
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Terrific restoration as always, Rory.
You should be designated an Australian national treasure, after Bob Klepner, of course.

J Peterson
International Treasure Hunter :***
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

jingle wrote:Yes I have one of these but it vends a prize. Can't remember if it drops a coin too
Looks like an automatic delivery Jingle, does it have a large circular carousel inside?
jingle

Post by jingle »

Hi argee
Yes it does
And as mentioned you
Can stick any prize in
As long as it fits the shoot
But I can't Remeber much
About the inside
It needs restoring and
As been stored since
I took the picture
Which was yonks ago
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Just dragged this one out recently and spent the evening working on it. So I'm looking for images of similar BMCo non-allwin machines with large marquees such as "Over the Falls", "Climbing the Alps" etc. I presume the style I need will be the tall curvy shaped version. If anybody happens to actually own a machine then some good pics and measurements would be great. But I still haven't found a possible name for this game from the list in the Braithwaite book? So I may need to invent one for the marquee art :!?!: Thanks.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

"Lucky Stars."

Or "Moonjammer"

Or….never rmind.

J Peterson
Eggnoggin' Head in America
jingle

Post by jingle »

There were 2 similar in the last elephant house auctions Rory ,
Nr the end of auction
There maybe decent pics on there site
Jingle
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Thanks Jingle, I'd seen those two before the auction but they look repro to me and not BMCo, no marquees anyway which is what I need to see.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Yes, they were reproductions (without top signs), as described in the Arena Reproduction British Slot Machines article. A couple of original Bolland wall machines, complete with marquees are also pictured there for comparison. Here's a different shaped marquee seen on some of their games, with dimensions. 3/4" oak, joints are tongue and groove (tongue 1/3 thickness of timber, 1/2" deep). Rear oval inset for glass is 3/8" from edge and 1/4" deep.
Attachments
marquee2.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Thanks PM. I'll mock one up to fit in cardboard and see how it looks. Any chance of a reverse image please? And same thickness as a side panel I imagine.

And interesting to re-read the history in Arcades book about Bolland partnering up to help BMCo from folding in the late 30's, newly named BMC Ltd. Makes a lot of sense to me now about the two companies products overlapping. This "Lifeline" belonged to Jon Gresham and from memory the marquee and sign was original. But in his museum guide he stated it was by Bolland, but that marquee letting looked just like BMCo to me, so I'd always presumed it was a case of Bolland adding his name to an older machine when he operated or sold it. But there's the name Lifeline listed under Bollands machines list. Jon had at least one or two other similar Penny tap machines that aren't listed by Bolland.
Attachments
lifeline bolland.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Rear view with ugly modern brackets. Thickness is 3/4".

You can see, in the first image I posted, an unfinished curved area on top of the frame. I assume there was a wooden arched moulding applied to that surface originally.
Attachments
Close up tongue & groove
Close up tongue & groove
marquee-rear.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Hey, those brackets aren't ugly, they're just the way god made them that day.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Ha ha - I did wonder about deleting the word 'ugly'. I'm not completely wed to the past, and can appreciate good modern design too. Those ('70s?) brackets are just fine, only not with that marquee.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Looks like your marquee is missing a piece of trim on the top edge PM?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Yes, I mentioned this in my post above (probably edited after you read it).

I just looked up those old shelf brackets - apparently they're called London Brackets, and they're:
Very popular
Low cost pressed metal brackets
Medium load ratings
Unattractive
:lol:
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Good photo of the marquee on this site in the museum! Though on measuring my game it's smaller than whatever your marquee belongs to PM, my case is only 19.5" wide ( the case sides that is which is normally where the marquee matches to). I wonder if the different style marquees were originally each suited to a particular size cabinet? !PUZZLED!
Attachments
Skill_Games1n8-l.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Well damn PM, it's almost as if you know what you're talking about! Early days, but if you stick with this hobby you might just get somewhere. ;-) I found this great photo of the BMCo "Wineasy" which is almost identical to my cabinet style with the curved wood pieces top left and right of the centre glass. Like mine it also has simple curved vertical side edges, not the usual moulded edges. Though my case does have the same simple curved top and bottom edges while the other has the usual moulded edges. Anyway on making the Win Easy image the same width as my game the height is identical to mine! So as PM guesstulated earlier this is more than likely the original marquee style!! Yet again this site has filled in the missing info for me and made my life and work a lot more interesting, cheers everyone!
Attachments
moon and stars 7.jpg
bmco allwin marquee.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

One thing I've noticed recently is that as this site is filling up with great information it's getting harder and harder to find it when you want or need it. Because some great stuff is hidden under totally unrelated headings that you'd never find without already knowing or being told. So maybe with things like images of marquees we could make some new postings and lump each maker all together? Like BMCo machine images showing marquees etc? Otherwise it might be hard for people to find this under my goofy heading, Bang! Zoom! ...........