Mills front OK vendor

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
gameswat

Mills front OK vendor

Post by gameswat »

Hi, this just arrived today finally, actually purchased in early Dec but been waiting on a favour to get it here. This is a later 20s Mills FOK Vendor that I recently found in New Zealand and the price was right. Happened just after I got my talking scale shipped out and the seller of the scale was kind enough to pick this up in person and pay on my behalf. Then he packed it and air freighted to me. Very nice fellow by the name of Rod Cornelius. Otherwise could have been an expensive job to get it here. Anyway the slot seller had listed this on the internet but couldn't sell so after it fell through I thought for a few days and then asked for a lower price and they offered about 12% lower. Cheap enough that I grabbed it but had no idea if it was totally complete with all the important gizmos that make this such an interesting machine. But when it arrived today I was blown away to find the machine almost totally complete and original untouched! !!THUMBSX2!! All the mech parts appear to be intact for the skill stops, the mint vendor and the all important future pay. I haven't had time to look at the token mechanism yet, it should accept tokens and coins but only payout tokens.

For anybody who doesn't know the future pay feature, it shows you on an embossed wheel through a small window what you've just won in tokens, but you have to spend another coin to get the winnings, and get another play of course. Can't be gambling if you know what you're getting hey! Brilliant. I don't know of any other OK's in Aust but apparently a handful have turned up in NZ so maybe they were operated in some numbers. Very rarely do any of the complicated US slots turn up here with intact vendors etc. since they were of no use here. And the castings still have most of the original paintwork. Can already tell this is going to be a favourite of mine. Will give it a very minimal restoration of good clean and service. So far I need to make an oak foot for the base, a lock for the cash-box door, replacement payout card and instruction sheet for the back door which is half missing. The castings will just get a fine clean with 000 grade steel wool and polish so they keep all the tiny scratches. I used to machine polish these in the early days and while they lustre like hell they lose any patina and stay that way for years. I spent some time around Roger Kislingbury who is an old time coin-op restorer in LA who does the most amazing work. He has only a small collection of machines now but damn they are so original it's crazy. All his slots have that light greying look to the castings so they appear to have just come out of an attic or something after 40 years and only been wiped down.
Attachments
fok lhd cab.jpg
fok rhd cab.jpg
fok rhd mech.jpg
fok front mech.jpg
fok inside cab.jpg
fok back.jpg
fok front.jpg
oldschool

Re: Mills front OK vendor

Post by oldschool »

Hi mate.....just joined up.....and noticed your Mills slot machine comments.......I'm in New Zealand.......and own a collection of mostly wall mounted arcade machines (30 in total) from the 20s on.......but I also own an operational 1920s Mills Front O.K machine like yours.......I know of 2 others that are currently in Auckland........and I was told that they all came off the R.M.S Orion in the 1940s.......when it was stripped out to take on our troops.......I've spooken with Rod a few times but have never met him.......he has had some great slot machines and wall games in the past.......It is amazing what this little country of N.Z has to offer......Take care...Todd.....Also I may have family moving to Perth.....so if you need anything brought over?....Let me know and they can put in the container :]
(Email removed - site admin.) 09 4079778
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Hey Todd, thanks for the info! That makes total sense as I'd wondered why an NZ operator would have ordered these things with all the options ticked. Some great machines have definately come out of NZ and Aust too. And thanks for the offer of moving some machines. Sadly nothing sitting around there at the moment. Currently travelling around the world and in the US where I do have quite a few machines all over the country. Still need to corral them all together for shipping home. A friend here told me he just sold an Ahrens Talkie scale to a UK dealer, and I missed it by only 11 days - he'd had it for years but I never saw it as it was parked down the side of his house. Still pissed about that! Cheers, gameswat.
oldschool

Post by oldschool »

Hey you're welcome.....if I can help with anything in the future.....let me know......sorry that you missed out on the talking scale.......I just missed out on a 1935 Rolatop myself...... It was sold privately for $900.......in really great condition.

Have a great trip mate...Todd :]
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Hi all,
This is my first ever post though I've followed and enjoyed this site for years. Well done to all.
Interesting to read about the old machines in NZ and reference to others in Australia (where I am).
Only know of a couple of serious 'slotties' out here, some awesome stuff tucked away..
My collection of 3-reelers starts with a 1910 cast iron Mills Operators Bell and goes through War Eagle, Mystery Golden, Extraordinary Golden, Lion Front, Bursting Cherry, 2 Poinsettias, a Mills/Boland 1d Screen Stars, Watling Ball Gum Vendor AND what I believe is The First 6d Middlehurst Coronet.
All bought, paid for, legal and above board thanks to my permit from the Office of Gambling Regulation.
Anyway, be pleased to continue with fellow collectors - particularly in this region.
Cheers,
Andydotp.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Hi Andy, glad to see you are an avid browser of this site.

Some nice machines you have there, any chance of posting some pics for us all to view?