Super Steer-a-Ball

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: penny steer-a-ball

Post by badpenny »

Very nice job, wish I could paint like that .......... actually, I just wish I could paint! :(
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Hi,
I'm now at the point of getting my Steer-a-Ball to work. Does anyone know what I can use as a belt? (goes around the shaft and tilts the play field). What belt/band did they use before?
Thanks in advance.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

It's basically a length of about 1/2" thick leather cord with a spring (about 1/2" dia, 3 inches long) attached at either end. I got some suitable leather from a local cobblers as they used it for the belt drive of one of their machines. The piece I got was an off-cut which they had no use for and he just gave it to me. The springs are attached by piercing the leather with the end of the spring. Then you hook the other end of the springs onto pins on either side of the the back plate in the machine. Obviously the overall length needs to allow the leather to grip the channel on the inner disc of the steering wheel column.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Folks, you could not BUY this information. Yet here it is, on the open forum offered up for free by Mr. Pennymachines and his generous friends. We are a lucky group. Merry Christmas, everyone!

J. Peterson
USA
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

Hi,
Thanks for that. I will try using leather.
Just wondering, if it was made for a 1/2 inch belt, why was the wheel on the shaft only about 1/4inch?
coinop

Post by coinop »

I may have got the size wrong then :oops: I was going from memory as to thickness and maybe I was confusing it with a Conveyor (which also uses leather). I actually took the time to look at a Steer-a-Ball and it had a length of plastic coated wire between two springs... so I guess it can come down to plain just what does the trick.
lourens

super steer a ball

Post by lourens »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Some folks out there that could tell me some more about this arcade machine?

Maker?
Age?

Any info would be very welcome.
Is there any repro artwork available for this machine?
Value?

Is it worth restoring?

Cheers, Lourens.
Attachments
005.JPG
treefrog

Re: super steer a ball

Post by treefrog »

There is one on youtube from Wookey Hole Caves Penny Arcade, a Stevenson and Lovett Super Steer a Ball, early fifties I guess..... If you search the site there is another link on someone restoring artwork (merged - Site Admin.). Certainly looks worth restoring, especially if all there..

Attachments
steer-lovett.jpg
lourens

Re: Super Steer-a-Ball

Post by lourens »

Tree-frog, good evening,

Thanks for your reply and thanks for the photo.
I'm considering restoring because I like the work that has to be done.
Mine has a small door on the right side and on both sides, holes for cooling the lamps, I think.
So photos of both sides would be nice so I can see if they belong there or not.

Also pic from the inside mechanism, etcetera would be appreciated!

So if anybody has a machine and would make some that would be great.

Cheers,
Lourens.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

The door on the right side is for cash box access.
Usually I think there are metal grilles on both sides to vent hot air from the bulbs.
Pictured below, the inside of a Stevenson & Lovett Steer-A-Ball. It's more derelict than yours, but definitely worth restoring! Yours is the Jay Pee version, but the mechanism is very similar.
The steering wheel is off a 1940s Jowett Bradford van.
See nicely restored Hawtins version in the Museum.
Attachments
steeraball-int.jpg
48lorr_interior.jpg
lourens

Post by lourens »

Pennymachines, good evening.

Thanks for the cool info about the steering wheel from which car it is and also the photo of the innerwork is perfect. Mine is missing his belt also and wondered if someone here has a picture of the mech and the belt.

My Steer A Ball is not working but it's alive (it's walking around the shed) with woodworm, so I have to completely rebuild the cabinet.

Will upload some pictures in a few secs.

The cashbox can be accessed from the back of the machine I think and you're correct, there are some metal grills on both sides for cooling the lamp compartments.

Does this machine only need the electric for the lamps? It seems like the coin mechanism is completely mechanical.

And did it pay out or is it just a game of skill - the coin return piece just for bent or false coins ?

Thanks in advance for more info.

Last thing what should be its value when it's done properly? I like the work but when I need two months from my free time and a couple of hundred Euros for restoring, I like to know if that's worth it.

Cheers,
Lourens.
lourens

Post by lourens »

Hmm the few secs became an hour or so.
It was playing hide and seek and moved again by itself.

Here are the pics from all sides.
I have a girlfriend that has a sister that has superb skills for painting and I will ask her to try to redo the backboard and the artwork needed on the playing field.

Could somebody advise me if the door on the right side of the cabinet belongs there? Strange thing is the cashbox is accessible from the back.

And the top can be opened by door hinges (lift up). How can you lock it and which types of locks where there on this machine?

Any more advice very welcome.

Cheers,
Lourens.
Attachments
012.JPG
011.JPG
010.JPG
009.JPG
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

That's great, can we have some photos of your girlfriend and her sister please? !SAINT!
lourens

Post by lourens »

:D hm will ask them if they will pose! but I can assure you they look a lot better than the Steeraball.
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

pennymachines wrote: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:49 pm Hi Jimmy,

Nice piece of artwork! Is it really a Stevenson & Lovett or a Jay Pee Manufacturing Co. Steer-a-Ball? The Stevenson & Lovett originally had a light up backglass like a pinball depicting a townscape and zebra crossing, plus traffic lights that changed when you turned the wheel.
Have any of these light up back flashes survived?? Anyone with a picture?