Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
coppinpr

Re: Greyhound / Horse / Motorcycle Races

Postby coppinpr » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:44 pm

What makes you say the crowd background would not be suitable for bike racing? The motorcycle games are all related to Speedway which was unbelievably popular between 1929 and 1954, usually raced in the same stadiums as greyhound racing using the same facilities. The machine makers then, as they do today, latch on to the themes of the day. Incredibly a census of sports done in 1939 showed the top most popular spectator sports to be 1. Horse racing, 2. Speedway, 3. Greyhound Racing and 4. Football - IN THAT ORDER. The only team sport ever held at the old Wembley stadium on a weekly basis was speedway. 80,000 fans for a league match was normal! :didact:

pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Dog / Horse / Motorcycle Races

Postby pennymachines » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:59 pm

Hi Roger,

I think these games used a similar background, generic enough to cover most racetrack events. As coppinpr just pointed out, dog and bike races took place at the same venues anyway. If you look at the other horse and dog machines I posted, you'll see they look similar, if not identical (note the little ticket booth on the left).

One of the machines I worked on was identical to yours in every respect, except for the crank handle, which was a strange plastic-laminate knob. Unfortunately, the background was not intact on either of them. All that remained were two torn edge pieces from the sides (which I've kept). These match the edges of your background. Because I had nothing to copy, I had an artist friend make up a suitable speedway race scene (see below).

If you would be so kind as to take a high resolution picture of your background, I would be most grateful.
speedway.jpg

roger

Postby roger » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:08 pm

Hi pennymachines...... the next time my son comes to visit I'll see if he can get the stadium picture you requested. With all the great work you do on this site I'm glad I have been given the opportunity to reciprocate. I cannot do it without help as I'm not into modern teck.... I still own a typewriter, a black & white TV, and an outdoor privy (just like Australians) roger.

roger

Postby roger » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:12 pm

P.S. But unlike the Australians we do have genuine toilet paper, roger.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:03 pm

roger wrote:Hi pennymachines...... the next time my son comes to visit I'll see if he can get the stadium picture you requested.
Thank you Roger, that would be very much appreciated - I'll be in touch via email.
roger wrote:I cannot do it without help as I'm not into modern teck.... I still own a typewriter, a black & white TV, and an outdoor privy (just like Australians)
You're among friends - old tech rules!
roger wrote:P.S. But unlike the Australians we do have genuine toilet paper
A bit more quantitative easing and we can all use bank notes.

bob

Postby bob » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:33 pm

I'm really intrigued to know about Roger's experiences with Australian toilets that he has become so obsessed with them? Mentions of them in four out of his ten posts makes one wonder what the story is.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:16 pm

Available on iPlayer until next Friday, BBC 4's The Toilet: An Unspoken History. Fascinating, but no mention of the dunny.
roger wrote:Australians need not reply, as I do not want any more trivia about your antiquated flush toilets...
How about some modern flush toilet trivia?
There are a couple of reasons Australian toilets do not flush backwards. First, the Australian toilet flushes straight down. This question is generally asked by Americans. The toilet bowl in America holds a lot of water while the Aussie version hardly has any water in comparison. So when you flush an American toilet, what's there goes round and round before it disappears. An Aussie toilet simply flushes straight down.

Second, it's a common mistake that the direction water travels when a toilet, sink or bathtub empties is different in the Northern hemisphere where the USA is from the Southern hemisphere where Australia is. This is often attributed to the Coriolis force and even some teachers incorrectly tell their students this.
The Coriolis force only acts on large bodies such as the earth. Things such as toilets, bathtubs, and sinks are too small to be affected. What causes the water to spin clockwise or anti-clockwise is simply how the container is made and how the water empties from it.
http://alldownunder.com/australian-blog/misc.htm

roger

Postby roger » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:41 pm

BOB wants to know about all the Australian references..... it's all about an inside joke with my Yankee friend who moved to Melbourne and escalated when Australians sent comments on this posting... Reread the entire post and you should get the picture...

P.S. No more references to Australia... I just got a threatening call from "Crocodile" Dundee... roger.

roger

dog race stadium picture

Postby roger » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:18 pm

to pennymachine...i have tried to reach you via BOARD INDEX Contact (E mail) but does not work....then again it could be my fault....In any case please send me your e mail address so i can send a picture roger

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:08 pm

Hi Roger, I just sent my personal email address - thanks in advance.