New cabinet

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
martin

New cabinet

Post by martin »

Whales The Easy 9 photos attached showing the new cabinet. I've not "distressed" it, but I used "Jacobean Dark Oak" wood stain to blend the new cabinet in with the old door. I also bought a nickel plating kit to do the brightwear and replaced the lock. The mechanism works well after a good clean. The backflash is disintegrating a bit, but I daren't mess with it.
Before
Before
Whales.jpg (44.54 KiB) Viewed 3977 times

During
During

After
After

jimmy55

Re: New cabinet

Post by jimmy55 »

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the Nickel plating ...which kit did you get?
The machine looks great .....brilliant graphics on the backflash!
martin

Post by martin »

jimmy55 wrote:I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the Nickel plating ...which kit did you get?
The machine looks great .....brilliant graphics on the backflash!
Bought the kit on e-bay from Gateros, including Dry Acid cleaning kit. Bought a power supply from Maplins, as the current controller in the Gateros kit was a bit inadequate. The results are good, not shiny, but a big improvement. The kit was easy to use, with very detailed and easy to follow instructions. Each piece took about half an hour, so the whole process kept me amused for the best part of a day in the shed.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Looking good, there's been a lot of grunting and mopping of fevered elbows going on there.

Now I guess I've always been more of a handle puller than a ball flicker. I do like allwins and have currently have four. I know my Saxonys from my Bryans and my Wondermatics from my Brenners and can sniff out a Chinese look alike from 100 paces.

2323407554_d91b609654.jpg
2323407554_d91b609654.jpg (52.03 KiB) Viewed 3844 times

I know Stuart has done a fantastic amount of research on the subject, but I can never remember (without referral) which makers or even their models have a separate cash box door or don't.
I assume all Four Squares dumped into a communal one in the pedestal, but I have seen Allwins offered and thought they've looked short.

Badpenny
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

Is the backflash always a screen print on loose celluloid in all cases? I've only ever owned one and that had cockled and split quite badly.
raj

Post by raj »

Nice job, that man.
Originally it would have been in a hightop Ollie Whales cabinet with a topflash and cash compartment, and the wood would have been much lighter, however once stained darker, it is most difficult to reverse the effect. I've just done a Triple Chance, which is the same mechanism, and the flash did just fall apart as soon as I started to take out the ball runs..much work to reproduce the artwork. Your finished product looks excellent, well done. !WORSHIPFULL!
martin

Post by martin »

This was my first attempt. I may still build another cabinet with the cashbox and topflash. For the moment I'm just happy that it works. I bought a load of old pennies on-line. Been practising. It occurred to me that an old folks home would like one of these. Would there be any legal issues for people playing with the machine with old pennies?
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

martin wrote: It occurred to me that an old folks home would like one of these. Would there be any legal issues for people playing with the machine with old pennies?
The old folk won’t have time to play your machine, they will all be out at work earning their pension. !!SHIT!!
You have made a nice job of your machine !THUMBS! dont worry too much about it not being spot on original, the fact that you have made the effort and saved another vintage treasure from landfill is all that matters, just enjoy playing it,You will of course have to get another one to keep it company........... and then another............. and another............. welcome to the madness of our hobby. :oops:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

jimmy55 wrote:Is the backflash always a screen print on loose celluloid in all cases? I've only ever owned one and that had cockled and split quite badly.
Allwins nearer the start of the 20th Century tended to have a velvet material covering the play field or a polished or machined metallic one.

Much more durable, but you can't beat the atmospheric bright and gaudy colours on the post war machines, very seaside! !!THUMBSX2!!
martin

Post by martin »

slotalot wrote:
martin wrote: It occurred to me that an old folks home would like one of these. Would there be any legal issues for people playing with the machine with old pennies?
The old folk won’t have time to play your machine, they will all be out at work earning their pension. !!SHIT!!
You have made a nice job of your machine !THUMBS! dont worry too much about it not being spot on original, the fact that you have made the effort and saved another vintage treasure from landfill is all that matters, just enjoy playing it,You will of course have to get another one to keep it company........... and then another............. and another............. welcome to the madness of our hobby. :oops:
This one was a barn find. Already started on number two, a Bryans Allwin. It's complete and more or less in working order. I've bought a replacement "rainbow" backflash and all the brightwork needs replating. Watch this space :tarah:
martin

Post by martin »

badpenny wrote:
jimmy55 wrote:Is the backflash always a screen print on loose celluloid in all cases? I've only ever owned one and that had cockled and split quite badly.
Allwins nearer the start of the 20th Century tended to have a velvet material covering the play field or a polished or machined metallic one.

Much more durable, but you can't beat the atmospheric bright and gaudy colours on the post war machines, very seaside! !!THUMBSX2!!
I've improved the warped footballer backflash by applying heat then leaving a heavy weight on it, but some of the artwork started to disintegrate, so I've left it alone for the time being. My other project is a Bryans Elevenses. I managed to buy a new replica "rainbow" backflash for that one and the cabinet is complete.
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

[quote] but you can't beat the atmospheric bright and gaudy colours on the post war machines, very seaside! !!THUMBSX2!![quote]

Are the repro ones still done in the same way ( ie on celluloid film )? Only wondering as I use a big Epson 24" wide inkjet printer as part of my work and was wondering if they could be reproduced on paper and laminated somehow if they were beyond repair.
raj

Post by raj »

you have a job for life here with a 'proper' printer. The hardest part is cleaning up the damaged artwork. Print to glossy paper & either laminate or use thin PVC sheet to protect the finished work. The flashes are usually larger than A3, which takes them out of the usual supply chain. Use vinyl gloves to avoid marking the sheets, PVC sheet is easily scratched & use new balls in your allwin to reduce wear. The other (not usually cheap) option is to use a professional printer who can apply a thin laminate over the artwork.
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

Food for thought! I have planned to scan the playfield of my Airport Pinball when I have got all the bits stripped off so I can print it off on the roll ( not entirely sure what for ....but all part of the fun!) ....maybe make a poster out of it! I'll have to investigate what other printing media I can put through the epson.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Sounds interesting, could be one of the answers to one of our prayers.

My other prayers focus on other hobbies like women and alcohol. :-(
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

badpenny wrote:Sounds interesting, could be one of the answers to one of our prayers.

My other prayers focus on other hobbies like women and alcohol. :-(
Ahhh ....that would be the forum coach trip to the Philipines