Arnold Auto Talkie

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
john t peterson

Arnold Auto Talkie

Post by john t peterson »

Friends, I just acquired a rare machine called "Auto Talkie." It is a mutoscope with music. Produced by R. "Ginger" Arnold and Sons in 1930, it is not a listed machine. Braithwaite has an "Auto Movie" catalogued from 1929 and I think this was the follow on machine. My mutoscope works but the record player mechanism came in pieces in a box. I would like to find someone who has a functioning Auto Talkie so that I might get pictures for my own restoration. Somewhere in the UK, there is a collector with this machine. Is it you? Have you seen this in someone's collection? If so, please contact me so that British ingenuity may once again astound and amaze the punters. I also promise to write another article for the "ARENA" chronicling the Talkie travails. Thanks! Your American correspondent, John Peterson. (Pictures to follow.)
john t peterson

AUTO TALKIE pictures

Here are two pictures. Note that the mutoscope viewer has two segmented areas, one on either side of the viewing lens. This is where the music comes up from the record player through tubes, one for each ear. Clever!
Attachments
A-talkie 04.jpg
A-Talkie 05.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Well, it looks like you've stumbled across another rare one there, John.
I asked a "leading British collector" (and owner of several Arnold machines) a few days ago and he had never seen or heard of your Auto Talkie.

I hope you're right in supposing there are more out there and that one of our visitors will prove it, but at present we have to class it as "very rare, possibly unique". What a splendid find!

Fortunately it does appear to be in very good shape. I assume the phonographic part cannot be very different from any other gramophone of its day. In fact, I would imagine that part of the mechanism is most likely adapted from some other manufacturer's device.
john t peterson

Thanks, Mr. PennyMachines! Actually, the music portion of the machine comes by way of a turntable which was in the box of parts inside the casework. The "movie" portion has been modified somewhat to make the play more reliable. The turntable had been removed at an earlier point together with some of the related machinery. I have a strong suspicion that not all the music related parts were transferred with the machine. I'm hoping that your readership includes that individual who has one operational AUTO TALKIE. As promised, I will provide a full accounting in the future: good, bad or ugly.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I guess you've already searched for the patent. It could prove an invaluable aid to restoration if it exists. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be the correct format for a 1930's patent, so it may just be a bluff, although I would have thought such an early innovative machine might have warranted an application.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Just noticed this Burrows Automatic Supply Company Limited advert includes your Arnold Auto Talkie.
Attachments
Burrows.gif
john t peterson

That's a great advertisement, Mr. Pennymachines. Your resources never fail to amaze me! I have made some progress with the restoration, thanks totally to a terrific lad from Australia. I now have hope that this machine will once again amaze and entertain. I'm not to the point yet where I can submit another article to the Arena but I'm diligently working toward that goal. Keep your fingers crossed. :eek:
john t peterson

To bring everyone up to date, another AUTO TALKIE has been located in Australia. It fairly recently came out of an important collection in England. Interestingly, this machine does not have the turntable music mechanism that mine has. It had a cylinder mechanism which is missing. It is also in much rougher condition with the possibility that it was an early prototype. What this demonstrates is that mine is not the only machine left. There have to be others. Have you seen or heard of one? Please let me know.
gameswat

Re: AUTO TALKIE

Post by gameswat »

John, I found the mostly complete machine locally in Perth in 2003, the second one from England was just an empty cabinet, but much needed as my case was badly messed up by an idiotic "restorer". So in fact that's three machines produced at least.

Haven't you finished that thing yet?!?! gameswat
john t peterson

Ah, Mr. Gameswat,

You know that there is only one individual with the abilities, talents and emotional stability to bring my AUTO TALKIE back to life. Unfortunately for me, that man is currently on a dangerous mission in the Outback, stalking the elusive Busturassus Fullpipeus. If he survives, I have hope that one day he will journey back to the United States and work his magic on my poor machine. :cool:
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

What a lovely looking machine John, where do you find them !!

I shall look forward to your Talkie travails article when complete.

Richard

ps. I seem to recall that you were writing an article about British war games some time ago, has this been posted yet or have I missed it?
john t peterson

Hello Richard,

My apologies for taking so long to respond to your kind comments. I was hiding from my own indolence, hoping it would eventually dissipate. It finally has. I've just completed another article on war games called "Band of Brothers." I have submitted it to "Mechanical Memories Magazine" for future publication. I would strongly encourage all who love coin-op games to also support and subscribe to the only publication in the UK devoted to these fabulous games from your glorious past.

Kind regards,

John Peterson, USA

PS Auto Talkie is still refusing to speak; probably because I have not done anything with it for over a year now. In my next life, I'm planning on being a mechanical genius with lots of tools.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Hello John,

No problem about the delay, I shall look forward to receiving the MMM edition that contains the article, I wrote a short article a while ago about the Southport Arcade entiled A Grand Day Out. I know that Jerry is always grateful for additional material and for anyone out there that has not seen Mechanical Memories Magazine, your are certainly missing an extremely good reference source. (check out the Archive section of this site and click the Magazine drawer, bottom right)
john t peterson wrote: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:52 pmPS Auto Talkie is still refusing to speak; probably because I have not done anything with it for over a year now. In my next life, I'm planning on being a mechanical genius with lots of tools.
I would also add 'with a deep pocket' to that as well John.

regards

Richard