Haydon & Urry Tivoli

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
hottoddy

Haydon & Urry Tivoli

Post by hottoddy »

Hello Fellow Collectors,

I recently acquired a few English Penny Machines and I have a lot of questions. !PUZZLED! The first machine is this wonderful Tivoli coin drop game. When I opened it up there were these cigar trade vouchers that filled the center column. Can anyone date these hard stock trade cards or have any information on them? It was truly a pleasant surprise as this was a "barn find" and in need of rescue.

Cheers, !!CHEERS!!
Attachments
DSCN3513.JPG
DSCN3521.JPG
DSCN3502.JPG
DSCN3516.JPG
andydotp

Re: Haydon & Urry THE TIVOLI

Post by andydotp »

Super find hottoddy, well done. And the others?? Bring on the pics & questions
(but put on your hard hat & safety boots coz I forsee an avalanche of responses about to sweep down).
Not my area but similar to a French Pierre Nau game from the turn of last century - LE PHENIX, 1905 but without a payout cup.
The experts will be up & about soonly I'm sure.
andydotp
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Great find there! And especially in such lovely orig cond and with so many cards, which are of course normally long gone from most machines. There's a very similiar example shown page 120 of Nic Costa's Automatic Pleasures book, dated c1897. That one has different looking artwork saying the same thing. The top of both signs says "The Patent Tivoli" and as Haydon and Urry had patented this game in 1892 and were a fairly large company it's to bet this is their machine. Not sure what difference the earlier machines have to the c1897 version?
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Hottoddy,

Well done, lad. Paul Braithwaite's book, "Arcades and Slot Machines," has two Tivolis listed for the firm Haydon & Urry; one manufactured in 1892 and one in 1897. As Gameswat points out, we don't know the difference (if any) between the two games. I'm certain there were other companies that jumped on the band wagon and produced this fairly simple game too. Yours is in remarkably good condition. Getting the cards is a big plus. I am interested in the faint stamping on the reverse side: "R & O" is what it appears to be. My guess is this would be the owner/operator of this particular machine who wanted to ensure that any punter claiming a cigar actually won such card from his game. Below is another original card from Haydon & Urry that came with another of their games, "The Licensed Victuallers' Automatic Shooting Range," a coin-flip-into-barrels game. You will note that my cards are printed under the Haydon & Urry, Ltd., name. Congratulations on a great find.

J Peterson
Card Monger
Attachments
127_3930.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Just as a piece of useless information - here is a picture of 34 Grey's Inn Rd. as it is today. It's a private recruitment center.
greys.jpg
greys.jpg (21.43 KiB) Viewed 3317 times

treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Used to work in Grays Inn Road from '81 to '83 and about two doors down from this building there was a Boutique called Ruth's. I was always fascinated by this glamorous woman as she jumped into her purple E-Type convertible with the Reg RUT11 (You used to be able to park in the street with no meters back then).... My early days of slots were spent on this road. At the other end there was an arcade, still there today, and still had one arm bandits back then. Also one of the longest running Cafés in London, still there today, "Andrew Café". It has not changed, no paint and the same furniture from the '60s.... Used to play the slot machine in this café for hours getting through multiple cups of tea.

Anyway, what other treasures did you find in the barn?
hottoddy

Post by hottoddy »

Thank you all for your infinite wisdom. That is why this is the best coin-op site on the web. I will try and post a clearer picture of the card. As for the other items found, they're not really worth mentioning.... :D
A Caille La Commercial (Ben Hur look-a-like with astrology symbols and fancy castings),
A Bryan's Hidden Treasure,
A Rowntrees Fruit Gum allwin type wall game.

They need a lot of TLC. The Rowntrees game needs all new artwork, as it is peeling. The Hidden Treasure is a fascinating machine and the Caille is almost back to life.

Thanks again,
Hottoddy
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

hottoddy wrote: They need a lot of TLC. The Rowntrees game needs all new artwork as it is peeling.
Hi Hottoddy :D , have you seen the Fruitgum artwork in resources? :tarah:
[url]https://pennymachines.co.uk/..htm?https ... =13&t=1560[/url]
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

hottoddy wrote:As for the other items found, they're not really worth mentioning.... :D
A Caille La Commercial ( Ben Hur look-a-like with astrology symbols and fancy castings)
A Bryan's Hidden Treasure
A Rowntrees Fruit Gum allwin type wall game
You're probably right hottoddy, nowt special there :shock: !!!!!!!!!!
Pics, pics, pics... please.
What a find! !!THUMBSX2!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

One man's fish is another man's poisson.
arrgee

Re: Haydon & Urry Tivoli

Post by arrgee »

I have seen a slightly different Tivoli to this one with 'D Harper & Co, Holloway, London' printed on the top pedement.

The main difference between Hottoddy's Tivoli and the Holloway, is that the payout tray for the cigar token is set below the return penny chutes and that there is a third payout chute right at the foot of the door as well. :!?!:
john t peterson

Looks like "Tivoli" can now be yours if the price is right.

1892 Haydon & Urry, Ltd. TIVOLI English Penny Coin Drop Cigar Trade Stimulator
ebay-tivoli.JPG

Or you prefer your treasure hidden, perhaps?

1938 Bryan's Hidden Treasure English Penny Pendulum Slot Machine
ebay-hiddentreasure.JPG

john t peterson

Update on night of April 11th.

"Tivoli" just sold at no reserve for $685.99 USD on Ebay-US.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I assume you won this John....Did have a punt, but with shipping/customs etc, a little too expensive....I had forgot one sold at the Coventry auction here in 2009 for £375, probably without the cards, but can't remember. Maybe he will list the Bryans machine as well without reserve ;-)
john t peterson

TF,

I was not the winner this time. The cards held more interest for me than the machine. When the dust cleared, the final hammer price was beyond my budget. As a wise friend once said, "You can't own everything." I hope you're right about Hidden Treasure. It would be interesting to see the unrestricted value for that machine in today's market.

John