Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: New member, new pinball!

Postby badpenny » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:40 am

Nice website.

If that's your photo in the banner you may be too handsome for us though, we don't like competition.

jimmy55

how far to go?

Postby jimmy55 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:11 pm

Topic merged - site admin.

A couple of questions after my first stage of restoring my 1939 Genco Airport. Where to draw the line regarding preserving the original or replacing?
1) The bottom ply board of the case must have been damp sometime and is a bit buckled and slightly de-laminating. It's not too bad but the underside which is painted is flaking and drops bits everywhere. Should I just fit a new ply bottom as it's largely out of sight and could be subtly painted, distressed etc.
2) Wiring under the playfield looks amazingly good but around the mains transformer and the large restistance with heatsinks the insulation looks pretty brittle. Should I just re-wire the Mains voltage section for safety sake?
I always prefer something with a bit of patina rather than something over restored but I am just not sure how to strike the balance between originality and function/safety. I'd be glad of your thoughts.

Cheers, Jim.
main-case-inside-jpeg.jpg
mains-section.jpg

gameswat

Re: how far to go?

Postby gameswat » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:00 pm

Jim, I usually only replace the plywood if I really have to. It's held in place by the four sides of the cabinet, so to do it properly the cabinet joints need to be loose so the new piece can be fitted back, then re-glued and clamped shut. As the base is basically hidden from view, I don't bother unless it's structurally important, or just occasionally a very rare and important machine!

And I think you should always re-wire if you can, as safety is obviously very important, particularly when you get a machine that has sat dormant for many years.
Good luck.

jimmy55

Re: Genco Airport restoration

Postby jimmy55 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:48 pm

Thanks for that Gameswat, good advice I think.
Next issue to pace is the playfield itself which is in remarkably good nick apart from being a little grubby. The paint is quite fragile and I think would flake if subjected to too much silver ball at the moment! Is there any fixative, varnish etc to seal it? I have an airbrush if needed.
thanks again, jim

special when lit

Re: Genco Airport pinball restoration

Postby special when lit » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:07 pm

Re, electrics. You should definatly replace the power cord to the transformer, especially if it's the original.
Get a 3 core lead & connect the earth to the transformer chassis.
Also, I would advise replacing the selenium rectifier (the thing with the discs that looks like a flux capacitor).
Replace it with a 100v 25a bridge rectifier, the selenium fails over time & loses efficiency, although you must fuse the AC input.

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:24 pm

Hey Jim, I've had similiar issues with dried playfield paint before. The best method i found was to strip everything off the playfield, which I always do on a resto anyway, then carefully clean the surface as much as possible with various cleaners depending on how well they work in each situation. Finally I use an alcohol and super fine steel wool to remove wax and ingrained dirt etc, plus to slightly roughen the surface for paint. Then i spray a handful of coats of thinned acrylic laquer to seal and slightly cover the paint. If it's thinned enough it will absorb through the cracks and actually glue the paint in place. The original artwork is actually ink and will have hardened over time so no worries with the laquer affecting it in any way. Even after about a handful of thin coats once it's dry you shouldn't really be able to see any great visible difference. The good thing with laquer is it can always be removed later with just a rag soaked in thinners. This is what i use for touching up damaged or missing art too.

jimmy55

Postby jimmy55 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:49 pm

I appreciate that brands are different over here Gameswat but what lacquer are you using ...is it automotive or an art product?

@special when lit .....I may have to come back for more detail on the rectifier issue as thats on the boundries of my electrical knowledge! I am in the process of taking detailed photos and trying to prepare some sort of schematic to give me some guide as to what it all does. I'm intrigued by the little assembly thats mounted in the lower case.....looks like some sort of track for a ball with various switches??
mystery.jpg

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:49 pm

Acrylic laquer is standard thinners based auto paint available anywhere.

special when lit

Postby special when lit » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:48 am

jimmy55 wrote:I'm intrigued by the little assembly that's mounted in the lower case.....looks like some sort of track for a ball with various switches??
That looks like the roll tilt. There should be a steel ball in the track, so that if the machine is lifted up to stop the ball draining on the playfield, the ball in the tilt assembly rolls forward, opens a switch and tilts the game.
I've got a diagram of the bridge rectifier mod somewhere. It's quite simple to do, just 4 wires & a fuse. I'll post it up later.

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:21 am

I was also thinking it might be a tilt switch, but why so many switches & wires? !PUZZLED! could it be a part of the 1000 when lit score mech?? :!?!: anyone know for sure? :tarah: