Toy slot machines

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
jra

Re: Toy slot machines

Post by jra »

Hi TF,
16 Bids 14 bidders. I too wondered if it was a trade stimulator as there seems no payout. I then thought it may be a token payout through the little tray on the front, and the slot on the side you mentioned is for refilling the tokens.
At the moment I have no idea whether it is USA or UK make, or which coinage it takes (all for further investigation). All I know is I cannot wait to get my itchy fingers on it.
Regards JRA.
jra

Post by jra »

Hello,
An update on the toy JACKPOT machine, well it is not a toy, far too well made. It measures 6"x6"x12" and weighs 5lb or 2Kg. It is almost certainly a trade stimulator. It works as follows: insert the coin (after much trial and error I found it takes an old half/penny as none of the others would release the balls). Press the black button on the front to release the ball bearings (4 in total), then press down the red lever on the right hand side to put the balls into play, then press down the black button on the right to fire the ball, then try to catch the ball in the cup that moves when you rotate the brown knob on the front ( similar to clown catcher). If you catch three balls, press the black button on the front to receive a token through the tray on the front. The tokens are filled through the slot on the left hand side. As far as date goes, after consulting with colleagues we think 1950s/60s, judging by coinage and general look of it.
If anyone has any more information on this machine, I would love to hear it, as this is one of the most intriguing machines I now have in my collection.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

It would be very late for a trade stim., even in the USA. Did you try a 25c coin? Trade stims were dead by 1949. The only ones being used were cheap made styles for the country general stores and this one is definitely not cheaply made. Companies did make miniature display samples of full size machines for salesmen to carry and some of those were very detailed, but something about this machines doesn't fit with that either. A lovely thing though.

salemans-sample-1a.jpg

This fully working salesman's miniature pinball sample is for sale in the US for $2,500.
jra

Post by jra »

Hi Coppiner,
Yes, I did try 25cent, also tried one shilling, five pence and many other coins, but they were not heavy enough or too small to trip the ball release (the release seems to work on weight rather than a physical push). It was a last try with a half/penny that it worked as it should. So it looks as though it will remain a mystery, although I like your idea of a salesman's sample - that could be the answer? But there again, how many did they make? Was it a one of, or are there more out there? We will probably never know. Thanks for your input, most welcomed. Regards.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

We just talked about a trade stimulator you posted Paul, re the Sega clover and blackjack, both from the late 1960s and not dissimilar in construction.

Odd the machine has a token load that pays out, rather than coin return. I assume it is one at a time. Certainly different. Apart from British coins, I would have targeted German rather than US, given this is where the origins of the theme are from. Anyway nice addition to the collection. Do you reckon the vinyl wrap is original to the machine as I assume it is unpolished aluminium underneath, also I wonder what the jackpot sign indicates? !PUZZLED!