The Pavilion?

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
gameswat

The Pavilion?

Post by gameswat »

Came across this early English marquee that had sold in the US. ANTIQUE 1920'S THE PAVILION CIGAR & CIGARETTE DELIVERY MACHINE WOODEN PLAQUE
Could only find one entry for the name "Pavilion" in the Arcades book, under Coin Operating Co 1930. This type looks a lot earlier though. Anybody know the machine?
Attachments
pavilion.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: The Pavilion?

Post by pennymachines »

As you say, it's clearly pre-Coin Operating Co.
How about this 1901 Automatic Skill Machine Co. game?
It looks the right period and style and, although it's difficult to see, I think it may have two columns for 'Cigarettes' and one for 'Cigars' in the centre. I took it from page 202 of Automatic Pleasures and plonked the ebay Pavilion marquee over the carved and finialed top in the original picture. The only problem is that this game is identified as Pavillion with a non-standard double 'L' spelling. I can't read the paperwork on the machine to confirm if that's actually what it says.
Attachments
pavilion-composite.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Nicely done sir! I missed it under Auto Skill Machines, eyes not what they once were...... Has to be the right machine surely. So with a cig payout you'd also get your Penny back. I'd have bid if I'd seen it in time.
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

One got sold at the Elephant House in March - it made £500.
Attachments
5136_140222-054749.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Well remembered Dave! If I'd used this site's Search I'd have found it. !DOH!
And it's spelled 'Pavilion' in the catalogue (although again the paper scroll is illegible). But the other columns are coin return only...
Still it would look good married up with the ebay marquee.
Attachments
pavilion-composite2.jpg
silverbitz

Post by silverbitz »

I picked up the Pavilion. Yes it would look good married back to the machine!. :(
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Well Silver, at least if you're handy all the info you need to repro that marquee is there. I usually have a lot less to work from making them. !OMFG!
Of course worth trying to track down the buyer of the original marquee first......... SkEpTiCaL
silverbitz

Post by silverbitz »

Perhaps not the hardest one to make?. Unfortunately haven't got the right tools for this. Who wants the commission?. I also would like 'the clown' doing as well. I saw someone taking pics of the Handan ni at the last EH auction!.
I've looked at the ebay listing but is seems like it may have been a private style listing !PUZZLED!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Silver, best you can do is plead your case honestly to the seller and hope they feel sorry and put you in touch with the buyer. You can contact the seller via the other items he's currently selling.
silverbitz

Post by silverbitz »

Good job one of us has a brain!. Done that now. Seller wrote back saying he has sent on my plea!.