Automatic Shooting Gallery

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
hottoddy

Automatic Shooting Gallery

Post by hottoddy »

I have been offered this counter-top shooting gallery game in trade. I have no idea about this little gem nor have I ever seen one. Can anyone help identify and possibly some comparable sales? I hope I'm not violating any rules by asking its value. Thanks for the support.
Attachments
331.jpg
332.jpg
Last edited by hottoddy on Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gameswat

Re: Automatc Shooting Gallery

Post by gameswat »

Interesting machine, I've seen one photographed somewhere before........? But I'm wondering about the use of the word rifle? I could be way off target, but that looks suspiciously like a pistol to me, so is that top instruction plate a hand painted repro that someone incorrectly worded? I imagine a rifle would be too long to have ever fitted this cabinet.
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

This is a rare machine, I have owned one, never seen another. This could be the one I used to own. Any traces of blue paint? As for value, if it's 3 figures grab it.
hottoddy

Post by hottoddy »

I believe it did have blue paint at one time. Low 4 figures (U.S. dollar) is what my item is valued in the trade. I'm guessing this would not be an even swap. !SMARTY! !!CHEERS!!
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

Gameswat wrote:Interesting machine, I've seen one photographed somewhere before........? But I'm wondering about the use of the word rifle? I could be way off target, but that looks suspiciously like a pistol to me, so is that top instruction plate a hand painted repro that someone incorrectly worded? I imagine a rifle would be too long to have ever fitted this cabinet.
I would also imagine the word "until" would be better if it read "if"

If the idea is that you hit the target and ring a bell then you get your money back but if you miss the target you lose your money, then the current wording doesn't make sense - I think Gameswat is right to use the word "suspiciously".
john t peterson

Re: Automatic Shooting Gallery

Post by john t peterson »

The shape of the game is most unusual. The shape of the faceplate suggests that it was inserted into a cabinet of some sort. If that were the case, you would not be able to see the target which appears to be illuminated by natural light through the openings on the top of the tube. One would also need a large case to support a rifle as suggested in the instruction. An appropriate inquiry: Did you blokes know the difference between a handgun and a rifle at the turn of the century? !PUZZLED!

J Peterson
American Armourer
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

In the days of this device, John, the only firearm experience for most Brits would have been in the army. And only officers had handguns - "other ranks" were issued rifles. They probably knew the difference, but since fairgrounds were an "other ranks" kind of place, I imagine the carnie went with what was most familiar to his clients?
woody2

Post by woody2 »

Looks like a mini tube-shooter? I am sure I have seen a photo of a round stall with these fitted. !PUZZLED!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

John T Peterson wrote:Did you blokes know the difference between a handgun and a rifle at the turn of the century?
Which century John, I assume 20th, but as I was not around in 1900 I have no idea.
However, I do know that most handguns were rifled - or to use the correct term had 'rifling' !!BANGBANG!!

Come to think of it, I know a number of rifled bores.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Hey Mr Penny Machines, I've been holding my breathe awaiting your lowdown on this machine, but still nothing? Starting to turn blue !!UHOH!! :NBG: :cry:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Mr Pennymachines is currently incommunicado .... however as soon as the solicitor confirms his bail conditions I'm sure he'll charge you for his opinion.

BP
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Does that mean his Nursey is available for alternative employment?? :woops:

J Peterson
American Invalid
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Nursey is extending her repertoire and enjoying the Lincolnshire air, very bracing ... if not embracing .. cough cough.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Thanks to another member here who just reminded me of a photo I had taken with this Automatic Shooting Gallery in the background. Knew I remembered it from somewhere! I've been able to fill in the blanks now. Belongs to a friend of mine in the States. It's the same machine being offered to Hottoddy as the machine instruction plate matches and I recognise my buddy's room in the background of those original pics. Has had the blue paint removed some time since my photo from 2005. And would appear to be your blue machine Daveslot?
Attachments
auto shooting agllery.jpg
shooting gallery.jpg
shooting gallery.jpg (27.09 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

From that picture.... maybe less gun and more rifle too.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I thought that too but forgot to mention in the post.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

PM, so what are your thoughts? I've been too busy to spend any time researching this, as much as I'd like to. But I'm leaning more towards French or then German? Reminds me of the cast iron and then alloy Euro pistol machines that were somewhat similiar shapes to this.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Based purely on its design, I favour Woody's suggestion that it was built to fit into a funfair round stall. As John said, a closed cabinet would block the necessary daylight to the glass top. The top sign also looks distinctly showman-style. The ha'penny coinage (if original) suggests a pre-WW1 vintage.
In other words, I'm just guessing. :!?!: