Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
treefrog

Kraft Darts

Postby treefrog » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:29 pm

Anyone come across one of these before....Seems to be for amusement only and is listed in Braithwaites book, but not year. I would guess mid to late 1930s.
darts1.jpg
darts2.jpg
darts3.jpg
darts4.jpg

coppinpr

Re: Kraft Darts

Postby coppinpr » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:00 pm

I think this machine was an attempt to cash in on the "Bar Billiards" craze in mid 30's so your date would be bang on. You were actually meant to play a game of darts on this machine. You got three balls and a player fired them all and added the score reducing the total needed on a blackboard next to the machine,he then released the balls with the lever next to the plunger and the other player took his turn. What I dont know is how it set the length of the game ,timer? number of rotations of the balls? Its not immediately obvious from the photo but I believe the balls were fired straight up the right hand side of the machine hitting a pin just round the top rail and jumping back to fall into one of the holes( if you were lucky)like a vertical pin ball.

JC

Postby JC » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:29 pm

It has all the hallmarks of a BMCo machine. I recall there is a Darts listed in Braithwaite's book under BMCo, although I don't have my copy to hand at the moment. It would certainly make it 1930s.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:40 pm

So nice when something different comes along - never seen one before.
It looks like the lower pins are retracted, releasing the balls, when you push the coin slide in, then the lever to the left of the firing trigger allows the player to feed them to the hammer one at a time (like the Hooper Automatic games, which this resembles somewhat). If this is correct, it's a one-player-per-penny game - the idea being to better the last player's score.

I'm credited as the source for the BMCo. Darts referenced in Braithwaite's book, from a letter I wrote to him in '96. I think I had in mind Lot 3136 from a Sotheby's sale of 1987:
A British Manufacturing Company 'Darts' Wall Game, late 1920s, oak case with large framed paper title board above, glazed front over green baize flash with coloured paper dartboard to centre over win cups, ball propelled into two 10s sectors or one 20s sector returns coin, penny play, brass fittings... 122cm; 48in high.
This was typical of the early, tall BMCo. coin return games and not very much like the Darts pictured above.

daveslot

Postby daveslot » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:33 am

Interesting, as I have a floor standing version of it.
darts.JPG

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:20 pm

I bought Daveslot's machine from the Elephant and thought it would be a quick job getting to a working state, but had underestimated getting the rear board attached to the machine which has 31 pins for releasing and holding the balls that have to be perfectly aligned to fit......boy frustrating. So have cleared woodworm, fitted new “bandit” safety glass, new rubbers on all pins and balls. Also had to fit replacement locks and 1D coin slide and finally now working. A few small adjustments to make to hammer and a new back door to cut.

There is one at Milestones Museum arcade and talking to Simon who works with Clive he was telling me it is a big money taker. Does not surprise me as it is a quick game with three balls and no reward. Just loved the looks of this machine, very impressive looking, well of course IMO.....think I am going to have to setup an arcade soon with all these bigger machines.... :HaHa:

By the way, I now realise the wall machine I showed at the beginning is in fact a smaller version, with smaller board, balls and cups, so not a cut down version but a separate version in a wall cabinet.
4F81BBDB-B44B-4B4C-8B49-D00C06EF0037.jpeg
Clives arcade at Milestones
36622677-0D9E-426E-8CF5-AB285045177E.jpeg
/

malcymal

Postby malcymal » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:26 am

It's simply an upright bagatelle board, is it not?