Bell Fruit Bank of England saved from skip

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
caytonbay

Bell Fruit Bank of England saved from skip

Post by caytonbay »

So I get a phone call from son working in London saying I got a fruit machine that was going in skip. Got it home with help but don't know what to do with it!
So fast forward 6 months to today when I did the four hour drive down to see family and out of the kindest of my heart picked it up and brought it home. So being a man, even though I had been driving all day. I managed to unload on my own and get it in the house on a sack barrow. I had to hot wire it as it was/is running on the old style round 3 pin socket but I got it to power up (after checking looms etc. for damage). The reel motor was jammed but I freed it off and by tripping the reed switch on coin mech I got it running. It has four coin mechs: 50p, 10p, 5p, token - all old style coins, but other than that I haven't a clue. Never seen one before so any info would be great.
Attachments
bellfruit back.jpg
bellfruit front.jpg
jingle

Re: bell fruit "bank of england" saved from skip

Post by jingle »

Your on the wrong site for
This kind of machine
Were vintage stuff
There is a few fruit machine ones
Were you will get better help
Were all older than you I bet
Good luck
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Im not so sure this is the wrong site, this is a very early machine of its type and is not much different from the later electro mechs we often deal with on the site, ist just in a cabinet style case , cant really see but I dont think it even has a hopper payout. There will be people on this site who can help
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

Lovely looking machine ....well saved! **xXx**

Tragic to think there are machines like this still being skipped. As Paul said I'm sure there will be help available here.
If you are a facebook user there is a group on there as well, just search 'Fruit machines,Electro-mechanicals from 1970s' or this link [url]http://www.facebook.com/groups/1501266156772959[/url]
caytonbay

Post by caytonbay »

It's an old machine. not a micro chip or circuit board in sight. Lots of relays and timers and everything is solenoid operated including payout from the tubes.
I've worked on loads of machines but never anything like this. The only guy I know old enough to know has gone to a sunny place till Easter, but I will check the links - thanks guys.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

These cabinets were used by Nobles Amusements to convert to their own style and game, usually just a reel band and glass change, but sometimes added a simple feature such as a 'super start'. Locomotion is one of theirs they converted from this cabinet - they changed the yellow 'bell fruit' symbol to a 'noble' symbol. Used for inland arcades with high footfall of women shoppers, set usually on high % contacts for nudge and hold connected, as women shoppers play for playing time and not to win money.
glittering-prize67

Post by glittering-prize67 »

Many of the fruity sites as suggested only deal with MPU-based modern stuff and emulation. I think that machine belongs here. Maybe late sixties early seventies. Looks nice and deffo my cup of tea. Well done for saving it. I have repaired and restored many like this and still have a good few. Maybe if you get stuck I can help. Just be careful in the back - if it has open relays it's probably 240 volt. If they are encased in plastic boxes it's more than likely 50v a/c. !!THUMBSX2!!
malcymal

Re: Bell Fruit Bank of England saved from skip

Post by malcymal »

I remember playing that exact machine around 1977 in the local amusements. 50p max cash payouts and £1.00 in tokens. If we won tokens we would play them back through or swap up for goods, such as two bags of sugar or a packet of 20 JPS fags. I would take them home and trade with mum and dad for cash. I remember the 'super start' feature, it was a bit of a pain to be honest because on a two symbol 10p payout, the super start would not allow you to hold the first two winning symbols to try and get the third, hence preferring the Bell Fruit machines which allowed for regular holding of any winning payouts. Nobles as a business is still going - we got one in the local town full of £500 machines, but whether they still make stuff of their own I haven't a clue.