Groetchen Sparks trade stimulator

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
junior

Groetchen Sparks trade stimulator

Post by junior »

Hi,
I got a trade stimulator today made by Groetchen. It's a Sparks machine made, I'm told, 1939-1942 on English old penny play. It has a gum vendor and a token payout slot. I also have a token. It seems to work OK but it's been in the an attic for the last 40 years so it's a bit dry and dusty. Has anybody got any more information on these machines? There seems to be a lot in USA, but were many sent to the UK? Are there many around on English penny, as when I was told about it I assumed it would be on 1 or 5 cents?
Thanks.
coppinpr

Re: Trade stimulator

Post by coppinpr »

Trade stims are more to be seen in the US but there are lots in the UK. I have four at the moment. There are lots of Sparks machines. Post a photo and we can tell you all about it. Having the gum ball dispenser is a plus. These were mostly removed in the UK. The payout is a plus as well as most trade stims seem to have no payout mech. What reel strips does it have? If it is 1940s it's most likely a Sparks Champion. We can tell you a lot but remember....
!TWWP!
junior

Re: Trade stimulator

Post by junior »

Hi coppinpr, I will post photo tomorrow. It's a beer theme with a side token payout. There's no banner above the reels to tell the value of payout. There's a lock on the bottom of the machine but no lock in the back door and no keys.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Groetchen Sparks trade stimulator

Post by badpenny »

Click here to see mine, it's the red one
It was in pieces when I got it and is on old penny.
junior

Post by junior »

Hi bad penny , mine is the same as the blue one. Are these machines now rare or scarce? Less than 20 miles away,
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

junior wrote:Are these machines now rare or scarce?
Groetchen must've sold these by the tons because they are everywhere in plentiful numbers! Cute, fun machines but far from rare.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

If yours is the same as BP's, then it's a Sparks Deluxe from 1938 and, I think, ended production in 1940. Although you're dancing 'round it a bit, you clearly would like to ask "what's it worth?" Well they do reach reasonable prices, not very high, but high compared to some slot machines. This one URL+REMOVED+BY+SITE+ADMIN# ... 972&type=A was in simply terrible condition and sold for £140. In the USA, in perfect condition, you could get over $700. There is one for sale in the next Elephant House auction (6th Sept), once again in bad condition and with parts missing. Interesting to see what it goes for. If you need new reel strips these can be bought from Dave at MrSlot in the US.
junior

Post by junior »

Hi,
Sparks is the same colour as the one coming up at the next Elephant House. It seems in good condition compared to the one which made £140. The reels are good. Where can I get some tokens? Thanks for your help and information.
Attachments
sparks-a.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

30 second US eBay search turns them up pretty easily..........................http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPARKS-1-PACK-O ... 5408e43570
Attachments
sparks-token.JPG