The Soccer by Jentzsch and Meerz

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
gameswat

The Soccer by Jentzsch and Meerz

Post by gameswat »

Topic split & moved - Site Admin.

Picked up this gem a week ago from a local antique store in Perth. Could barely believe my eyes to find such an untouched original machine that I've only seen in a few books. The store had been open all of 10 days by an English dealer and this was shipped over recently having come from a UK auction. I saw this in the front window as i walked in and had to wait a minute or two as the dealer was finishing up with someone else. As soon as he turned to show them something else I grabbed his attention and was soon looking inside the machine on the floor. I then instantly had two customers hovering over my shoulder showing interest!! One eventually walked away after hearing the price while the other stayed and told me he'd walked into the store 5 mins before me to look at this machine but was being polite by waiting until the dealer was ready - though since I asked first I could have first go at it! Damned any chance of haggling that's for sure as this guy just waited behind me and the dealer knew it. Didn't take long for me to pull the trigger though and very happy with the price considering our poor exchange rate right now and no shipping or import fees etc.

Have been trying to research the last week but not a lot of information out there and dating is all over the place. My example is by Jentzsch and Meerz for English export and I have only found one other example like it, shown in the Jean Lemaitre book. I found J&M stamping inside almost all the castings I've looked at on my machine. J&M also made the machine for German/European use but in a more basic cabinet and with the classic token release wheel in the lower playfield. There is another version shown in the Braithwaite Arcade book which seems to be a hybrid of the J&M Soccer mech housed in a Clown style case, though the bottom wood of the door appears custom made much thicker to house a single cigarette vendor. The caption states possibly converted by Hammond of Reading from Clown machines. There is one other version I've found which is shown above by West and Ludwig dating 1930 according to the Automatix website and most probably copied from J&M.. The players are quite different from all the J&M versions.

There are two evenly spaced holes in the top of the case where a marquee once sat. Probably just the classic Clown style? I've looked but can't find any hint of patents or registered designs relating to any of the models shown below. I have found some relationship between this and other J&M export machines which is interesting and will add that below as running out of room to add any more photos to this post.
Attachments
soccer lhd.jpg
soccer kicker.JPG
soccer catcher.JPG
soccer mech.jpg
soccer inner case.jpg
soccer coin.JPG
Jentzsch and Meerz English export model from Jean Lemaitre's book.
Jentzsch and Meerz English export model from Jean Lemaitre's book.
Jentzsch and Meerz European model.
Jentzsch and Meerz European model.
From the Arcade book, possibly by Hammond.
From the Arcade book, possibly by Hammond.
West & Ludwig model.
West & Ludwig model.
west advert.jpg (46.2 KiB) Viewed 3188 times
Last edited by gameswat on Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gameswat

Re: The Soccer, Olympia advertisements

Post by gameswat »

One thing I've realised is that many of the "Made in Saxony" Allwin Deluxe Export and Circle Skill Export Coin Payout machines share the exact same case style as my Soccer. I spent much time searching through every German website i could and looking at each J&M machine shown and none of their German/European models ever used the same fluted cabinet style as the English export machines? Seems very strange for them to go to that much trouble to make a unique cabinet style just for export, unless the buyer was very insistent for some unknown reason? Got me thinking though. Could the mechanicals and case casting have been exported to the UK and these fluted cases made locally?? This was not too long after WW1 when Germany was still rebuilding, and there may have been import restrictions into the UK as well? The Allwin Deluxe cases I've had have always seemed to use a much coarser grain of oak than the much finer European style as seen on J&M Clowns etc. And a huge clue is that the J&M German use machines do not use Yale type cabinet locks like the export models do, they used old fashioned keyhole shaped lock holes. All the J&M machines using the large Allwin style payout cups seem to have the big serial numbers stamped into the top of the cups. The number on this Soccer is #1019 and the other example in Lemaitre's book is impossible for me to read but appears to be in the 2000's. Since so few of these exist it seems likely the serials were shared by both the Allwin Deluxe and Soccer models at least. All the parts on my machine are stamped inside with #20 which was obviously the smaller batch number it was built amongst.
Attachments
Jentzsh and Meerz English Export Circle Skill coin payout model.
Jentzsh and Meerz English Export Circle Skill coin payout model.
Jentzsch and Meerz English Export Allwin Reserve  model in fluted case style.
Jentzsch and Meerz English Export Allwin Reserve model in fluted case style.
Jentzsch and Meerz German/Euro Allwin Reserve model in simpler case style.
Jentzsch and Meerz German/Euro Allwin Reserve model in simpler case style.
Last edited by gameswat on Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

There was some talk I saw recently about German mechanisms versus British mechs. Well I certainly think the German quality of manufacture was always very high, sometimes the English was great sometimes average. To show the extent J&M went to look at this added extra anti cheat device, I've never seen one complete before. There is a flap at the bottom of the first coin chute that is attached by a wire to a small lever just near the end of the ball release lever. If you try to poke a wire or coin on a string inside to trigger free plays it will push the flap over which then locks the ball lever from being able to move! Brilliant.
Attachments
Anti cheat flap.
Anti cheat flap.
Anti cheat mech.
Anti cheat mech.
Last edited by gameswat on Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

And a couple of other Soccer themed catchers i came across in my research. Seems strange the Soccer themed catcher machines are so rare considering the English & European interest in Soccer??
Attachments
German
German
French
French
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

i dont think the french footballer you have pictured started life as a footballer, it looks like a clown machine with a figure from a blow football game stuck on it.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Dave, I don't think there is is one single part of that French machine that is the same as any Clown I've ever seen before. Except for the celluloid Clown name and serial tag attached to the playfield.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Possibly this is the marquee originally on my Soccer?
Attachments
allwinDeluxe.gif
allwinDeluxe.gif (53.23 KiB) Viewed 3164 times
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Brillant research and deductive reasoning, Rory.

Hear, hear! **xXx**

J Peterson
Here if not there in America
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Just remembered a new book I'd forgotten in my library called "The golden age of coin machines" by Freddy Bailey. Found two great adverts, one showing the original marquee on the Soccer ( the same as on the Allwin De Luxe above). Which is awesome, now come out the carving tools. !!/\!! Needless to say if anybody here has one of these marquees and could take good photos to help that would be ace thanks!

But also found this German advert for the "Elektro" Allwin Reserve and clearly showing it in the fluted case style! So my theory of British made cases is shot down so quickly.....................
Attachments
soccer advert copy_1.jpg
From a German trade magazine.
From a German trade magazine.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Well, I figured somebody would have come up with more info on this thing? !PUZZLED! :dammit: I think John Peterson will have to stop talking this damn site up so much! !!>*<!! Whatever......... I'll do it without your assistance. !PFFT! Have roughly 3/4 carved only half the marquee to see if it looks ok before bothering with the other side, and it seems to look ok-ish. Have never tried to hand carve anything quite this fiddly before and it's slow going trying not to make any big mistakes. And the vintage oak is tricky as easy to chip bits off if not careful. Though will need some knocks when done anyway to match the case so should work out i hope.
Attachments
soccer marquee template.jpg
soccer marquee carving.jpg
soccer half marquee.jpg
soccer marquee half 2.jpg
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Now…what did I do? !PUZZLED!

Help! I'm talking and I can't shut up!! :lol:

J Peterson
Guilty until proven innocent in USA
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Gameswat wrote:Well, I figured somebody would have come up with more info on this thing?
I think the trouble is your J&M is a really rare bird and maybe nobody here has one. :shock:
Wood carving now - are there no limits to your talents? !WORSHIPFULL!
I didn't realize Freddie's book was finally in print. Where did you get your copy?
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

pennymachines wrote:Wood carving now - are there no limits to your talents?
PM, since I rarely have any money and like nice stuff I'm forced to pretty much do everything myself! :cry: Not that I'm complaining as the figuring and doing is my fave part. :HaHa: Forced creativity for want of a better name.
pennymachines wrote: I didn't realize Freddie's book was finally in print. Where did you get your copy?
A US friend mentioned he'd gotten an early copy so talked with a local buddy and he ordered two from the states as was the cheapest way to get them here for us. Lots of dating mistakes in the text for pre 20's era but some good stories he tells of his personal memories. But as I guessed a lot of adverts I've never seen before, such as the Soccer shown above, so worth adding to my library. Was actually a gift from my buddy which was cool.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

EH next Sunday.
Uncanny. :beamup:
Coincidence or cunning plan? :!?!:

Described as "Ultra Rare" which, I guess, is near the mark for once. Sadly, no pediment.
12816_150913-083238.jpg

made by Jentzsch and Meerz in the 1920s. In super original condition and working on old penny play. Lithographed tinplate footballers. The 'Pennies Only' badge is marked Samson of London, with also a Ruffler & Walker badge on the side of the cabinet - both well known suppliers of machines. Similar machine (but heavily modified for cigarette payout) in Carter's book page 67, and another example with different arrangement for coin entry and token payout shown in Baudot's book on page 35.
jingle

Re: The Soccer by Jentzsch and Meerz

Post by jingle »

I can hear the tears hitting the floor from here Rory :cry:
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I'm more than happy Jingle, shows how original mine really is!
jingle

Post by jingle »

I had the one with the cig vendor on you put on with the dodgy top,
It's was a carters machine,it's in the book,
It looked like it was made up
And not original,
I can't remember were I sold it tho dirtdog
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Some pictures of the J&M Soccer game:
JMfootball.jpg

JMfootball-mech.jpg

footballCU1a.jpg

footballCU2.jpg

gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Thank PM, mech was almost untouched, but the figures looked rough up close, especially the kicker.
jingle

Post by jingle »

See that were talking about soccer machines
Am still looking to get on with my winaway by brenner
Looking again to see if anyone had thee other that's ment to be around or anyone
Has a spare brenner cabinet for sale probably a ball past thee arrow one will do
It's looking a lot worse sine I last peeped at it about 5 years ago
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg