SKY JUMP ready for a freshen up

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
ddstoys

SKY JUMP ready for a freshen up

Post by ddstoys »

Pulled another one off the shelf tonight. Thought I'd get it down ready for any free time I get. First thing is to order some new locks before gluing and clamping the cabinet back together.

I'd love to get hold of its brother game Conveyor so if you know of one for sale, let me know. ;)
Attachments
skyjump1.jpg
ddstoys

Re: SKY JUMP ready for a freshen up

Post by ddstoys »

Made a start today. Lots of gluing and clamping on this one.
To be honest I'm not really sure what actually held the game together????
Attachments
image.jpeg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Dan, the animal glue used back then tends to harden and crystallize over time, causing the joints to easily crack apart.

And another thing, just working on repairing a '30's case and the animal/hide glue is very water soluble, so if a case gets some water damage it could easily allow the joints to fall apart.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Is that top sign original? I've not seen one like it and the lettering looks a bit amateurish. I'll upload a scan of mine, if you want.
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

Gameswat wrote:Dan, the animal glue used back then tends to harden and crystallize over time, causing the joints to easily crack apart.

And another thing, just working on repairing a '30's case and the animal/hide glue is very water soluble, so if a case gets some water damage it could easily allow the joints to fall apart.
Animal glue didn't know that but your dead right cleaning out the joins was hard crystallised chunks that crumbled when scrapped.
pennymachines wrote:Is that top sign original? I've not seen one like it and the lettering looks a bit amateurish. I'll upload a scan of mine, if you want.
Sadly this isn't original it's a dodgy hand made monstrosity - a scan would be fantastic
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

Some progress tonight. Most of the internal chrome is still nice so shouldn't be too much drama.
Attachments
sj8a.jpg
sj9a.jpg
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

Slowly getting there. All ball flaps have been cleaned up and re installed missing one tiny little nut was lucky enough to find the bolt in the base of the cabinet but sadly the nuts gone. Shouldn't be to hard to find but isn't important.
Also sanded down the door frame and hit it with a coat of clear looked pretty nice except for a few spots filled them sanded it ready for paint. Took it out side set it up shook the can beauty let's go sprayed the door walked inside to clean the nozzle and I hear rain on the roof seriously rained for about 3 seconds ran outside but it was to late and never had another drop after that couldn't believe my luck haha

I'll give it another sand and spray tomorrow and call it done.
Attachments
SJa.jpg
SJ1a.jpg
SJ2a.jpg
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

Sanded out the water marks and gave it another coat today came out pretty good. Not sure what everyone's thoughts are on this type of thing.
Personally I like to make sure they're structurally sound if they needs a re clear in like to make them look nice but not perfect. No point making a 50 year old game look brand new.

For the time being I've wire wheeled and rust killed the control knobs and painted them silver and I'll do the same with the decorative corners for now. Planning to buy a nickel plating kit and think these will be great little test pieces but need to get a few other projects squared away before I go attempting that.

Hope you're all happy with my work so far.
Attachments
SJ3a.jpg
SJ4a.jpg
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

certainly looking good dd !THUMBS!
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

Well she is all done well as done as it can be. I'll get a nickel plating kit one day and finish it off
Attachments
SJ5a.jpg
SJ6a.jpg
SJa7.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Very nice, good to see original patina maintained. I assume you're in Oz as you would not be able to do varnishing outside in the UK at the moment.

You could polish the top corner brackets and paint the inserts.

!!THUMBSX2!!
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

Two brackets and both control knobs will be nickel plated down the track. I was going to paint the inserts but decided if I leave them it will annoy me every time I see it and might motivate me to getting the nickel plating set-up going.
Yep, I'm in Oz - just another convict working his magic.